Advice Propane size for heater Alucab Canopy Camper

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
Jeep Gladoator With Alucab Canopy Canoer and a Dickinson propane heater. Many trips
South and north fo the border. Example next year our trip is almost 20k. Still working out build details. One concern is should I go with a 5lb or a 11lb propane bottle? Will be cooking through it with our Skottle in the snowpeak IGT and the heater as well. Thanks for the input.

john61ct

Adventurer
A Master bottle of standard 20# BBQ size is the most practical if you're burning any amount regularly. Cheap steel, easy to swap out if it gets beat up.

Then the smaller fancy portable aluminum sizes, collect at reasonable pricing as you find them.

1lb refillable, even the smaller hiking units, butane canisters for picnic burners whatever

All easily filled / decanted from the bigger one as needed.

Run into town for food, not gas.

If you go so far from the border that you want to switch to a new "exchange standard" keep doing the same, jettison the USA BBQ bottle if you like only worth $20

Bushmaster5K

Jeep Gladoator With Alucab Canopy Canoer and a Dickinson propane heater. Many trips
South and north fo the border. Example next year our trip is almost 20k. Still working out build details. One concern is should I go with a 5lb or a 11lb propane bottle? Will be cooking through it with our Skottle in the snowpeak IGT and the heater as well. Thanks for the input.
I recommend you post this question in the thread for Alu-cab Canopy camper that's 64 pages long. Rin with Ok4wd or Dan with Tiny RIg will answer.

Tiny Rig installed ours, but we haven't installed the Dickinson yet.
Good luck & safe travels.

kb1ejh

From the Dickinson site,
Fuel Consumption:
1 lb – 7 hrs- LOW
20lb – 140 hrs
1 lb – 5 hrs- HIGH
20lb – 100 hrs

Heat Output:
Low: 3,200 BTU
High: 4,500 BTU
I am hoping to get one and I was worried about only having an 11# tank. After seeing that it would burn for 55 hours on high, I think the 11# is enough even running other appliances too. 5# might have you looking for fuel refills too often. 20# although easier to swap out or get filled might be a bit much. Weight can be the silent enemy with your vehicle...

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
I recommend you post this question in the thread for Alu-cab Canopy camper that's 64 pages long. Rin with Ok4wd or Dan with Tiny RIg will answer.

Tiny Rig installed ours, but we haven't installed the Dickinson yet.
Good luck & safe travels.

BTW I found the Dickenson at go2marine in stock for under $800. The best Ive seen. They have free shipping on it too. But also found a discount coupon for an extra $30 off. I am talking to rin directly, I am jsut tryign to get some other input. thanks.

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
A Master bottle of standard 20# BBQ size is the most practical if you're burning any amount regularly. Cheap steel, easy to swap out if it gets beat up.

Then the smaller fancy portable aluminum sizes, collect at reasonable pricing as you find them.

1lb refillable, even the smaller hiking units, butane canisters for picnic burners whatever

All easily filled / decanted from the bigger one as needed.

Run into town for food, not gas.

If you go so far from the border that you want to switch to a new "exchange standard" keep doing the same, jettison the USA BBQ bottle if you like only worth $20

Unfortuneately the canister has to be mounted and dont have the space for a 20lb. Largest is 11lbs with the mount.

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
From the Dickinson site,
Fuel Consumption:
1 lb – 7 hrs- LOW
20lb – 140 hrs
1 lb – 5 hrs- HIGH
20lb – 100 hrs

Heat Output:
Low: 3,200 BTU
High: 4,500 BTU
I am hoping to get one and I was worried about only having an 11# tank. After seeing that it would burn for 55 hours on high, I think the 11# is enough even running other appliances too. 5# might have you looking for fuel refills too often. 20# although easier to swap out or get filled might be a bit much. Weight can be the silent enemy with your vehicle...

thank you I must have missed that on their site. at 55hours on high that should be a good bit of heat enough to make it at least a week or so. I dont think I would have to even run it on high unless up in the arctic during the winter anyways with us trying to help insulate the camper as well as possible. We where also considering a 12v electric blanket but have decided at this time against it and just going with a good down type camping quilt that should allow us to stay warm down to 20F without heat. With heat on low it should take us down to 0F and be comfortable.

sn_85

Observer
If you have to ask and causing this much consternation then just get the 11lb bottle and be done with it. I don't think anyone has ever regretted going with a bigger bottle. Conversely I'm sure many that initially purchased a 5lb bottle wished they had just gotten the bigger 11lb one. Both bottles mount in the same place anyways and don't interfere with anything else and you don't lose any space by going with a bigger bottle. Both PowerTank and Expedition Essentials make nice 11lb tank brackets that fit to the rear of the camper. I'd avoid the 20lb bottle. It's heavy and would likely need to be stored inside during transport. 20lb makes sense for a full size camper but not an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles