Advice on trailer vs teardrop

Teardropper

If DIY is such a great way to go why are there so many Poor Quality, Poorly Designed, Poorly Constructed, Half Finished home built DIY constructed trailers of all types & sizes out there out there on the road today and for sale tomorrow?

Every time I bump into another teardropper, we talk. Frequently they're DIY. Some of those campers have been marvelous pieces of craftsmanship –once in a while I see one that is a little rough.

But every builder I have ever chatted with has been damned pleased with their little camper. They're proud builders. I've yet to have that conversation with someone that bought one.

Built not bought. (y)

T

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes some don't want a finished result that looks commercial, nothing wrong with home made looking.

But for strength, durability, ease of maintenance your own layout and details, thousands of fantastic examples abound.

Downing

Plenty of room for everyone and all points of view. I would have loved to build one myself. Unfortunately, I don't have the space, the tools or the aptitude. That said, I could probably build a crummy one, but I didn't want a crummy one.

But I'm not going to knock anyone for their choices. Besides, if we all had the same trailer, the world would be just a little less interesting.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
This is my most recent towing experience, NY to TX with my JK.

0b6557a18bfc21e837d9cb342dd51095.jpg
How much does that trailer and bike weigh?

Louisd75

Adventurer
Loisd75
How is that DIY trailer holding out? Any issues?

It would be doing a lot better I was out on the road camping with it :) I finally got around to building a rear bumper for it a couple months ago. We used it for a few trips during my last two vacations, one of which was three weeks and a couple thousand miles. The other trips were shorter, a week here and a week there with a couple overnighters. I haven't had any major issues, just a couple of minor ones. My son pushed the screen out, we had a small leak from the fan that was easily fixed on the road, added a couple of battery powered lights where we needed them. Mostly just minor evolutions as we use the trailer and figure out what exactly we want and need. We're still loving it.

Today I did spray on bed liner for the front and the fenders. I wasn't planning on doing it yet, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt. I used it long enough to get a good idea of where the gravel was hitting the trailer and chipping the aluminum skin and the fenders. Came out pretty good except for where I accidentally put my hand before it was completely dry. I'm out of masking tape and masking materials now, so I'll have to wait a bit to spray another coat and cover up the goof.

91756421_3167076003311813_8521656088146214912_o.jpg92096839_3167076083311805_617443012414275584_o.jpg92257420_3167075559978524_8466279657459679232_o.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
point isn't the pants specifically

just an expression

crooked neck, banging your head is a PITA

full standing clearance really helps with livability, especially in the rainy season cooped up

nomad_games

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that there are quite a few areas in the general Yellowstone area that have "special regulations" for grizzly areas, meaning hard-side campers only! No tents.

vePaX0Pl.jpg

0jtrt9cl.jpg

The grizzly population in and around Yellowstone has been expanding for decades, and they're showing up well outside the park anymore. Although I've tent-camped in grizzly areas many times, there are places where a hard-side camper is required. So, one more factor in favor of a hard-side trailer. Even if it doesn't offer much in the way of real-world protection, it meets the legal requirement.

Also, there's the weather protection. I've had some nights in tents that were pretty rough, in high winds... Ugh.

My trailer doesn't even have a tent! I just set up a ground tent and sleep in it. The trailer carries supplies that can keep me going with fuel, water, food, etc, longer. Also allows a more comfortable camp. I could easily put a RTT on it, and perhaps someday I will.

98XlQB3l.jpg

kmRacsil.jpg

Re towing with the two-door Jeep, I found mine quite capable with roughly a 1500 pound trailer, for a three-week, 3600 mile trip last month. My Jeep is a 2012, with the 3.6 liter V6, a manual transmission and 4.10 gears with 285/75/16's (roughly 33") it had good power even on the long & steep uphill grades, I just downshifted to keep the engine revving enough to be happy. Also, my trailer does have trailer brakes, and yes, I highly recommend that! They're valuable on and off pavement.

Regards, Guy

I used to work in Grand Teton NP and saw evidence of grizzly activity everywhere. Then I heard a segment on NPR about people being killed by bears while camping. They played an audio clip someone recorded of two people being literally torn apart by a grizzly in their tent. I still hear those screams in my head and will never camp in a tent in bear country again. it's part of why I currently sleep inside my 4runner when camping. OTOH, I've seen plenty of pics of cars being torn apart by bears, so maybe it's just in my head that it's safer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles