Advice on potlifter restro...

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I'll say up-front, this may be really trivial to some of you. If yes, feel free to move along... :)

A couple of years ago I picked up this really cool camping pot handle (or so I thought. More on that later, if you care to stay with me...)

When I got it, it looked just like this picture I snagged:

Potlifter.jpg

The problem is, even though I like to think I take good care of my stuff, I have been using it out at the backyard BBQ... and leaving it outside. Now it's pretty rusty (it's steel).

So, I'm trying to figure out if I want to:

1. Write it off, and continue using it as-is (still works just fine).
2. Take it apart, grind off all the rust, paint it, figure out how to replace / re-peen the pins, paint it...
3. Throw it in a coffee can half-full of sand, rig up a motor to tumble it 'til the rust is gone, paint it...
4. Or?

And, of course, keep it inside from now on...

So, what would you do?

<The promised 'More'> I did some research this PM, and it turns out that a kitchen stove company named Chambers had a 'Thermowell' that a variety of special pots could be lowered into, and evidently this potlifter came with those stoves. It was used to lift the Thermowell pots back up out of the stove top. Too bad I screwed it up. I do realize that whether I leave it alone or clean it up it will never be the antique it was.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the quick replies. The vinegar I should have thought of, and have on hand. I'll try it tonight.

Depending on the result, I may try the electrolytic process.

SC T100

Adventurer
Easy Solution!

Dunk it in Evapo-Rust overnight...it'll eat the rust without harsh chemicals. Worked great on a bunch of rusted hardware from some old Aisin hubs I refreshed...pulled out the hardware, dried it off and hit it quickly with a brush and the hardware looked practically new. I picked up a small jug for $9 at O'reilly's auto parts. There's also a large jug for about $22. There are some caveats about certain paints being affected by it, but it works really well, though you may need to brush off heavily rusted areas.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Today's top tip... Don't reuse the vinegar, nor drink the Coca-Cola!

Humour apart, clean it up and keep it stored indoors when not in use.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I guess I never came back to this thread to thank Matt S for the vinegar suggestion. Cleaned it up nicely. Of course, I lost what was left of whatever finish was on it, but at least it's not rusting away.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Ospho is my go too for rust, wirebrush or 3M it, then a good coating or soak for 20 minutes, let it dry, no rust!

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles