Advice on Jeep Compass

al_burpe

Observer
My wife and own a 2013 Jeep Compass with 68K miles on it. It is the 2.4 automatic with the CVT transmission. We are prepping to move from Idaho to Pennsylvania the end of September. I recently took it to a shop to have it looked at to see if there were in glaring problems before we took it on a 2000 mile road trip. I knew that recommended service interval on the transmission fluid was 60K, so I asked them to look at it. They told me that it would be $500 to change it but thought it would be fine for another 20K miles and recommended that I not change it. That was a week and half ago. On Friday, my wife and I drove on a 400 mile trip. Part way there, the temperature light for the transmission came on. This put the car in limp mode and we pulled off the highway at the next exit. The owner's manual said to let it idle for 15 minutes or until the light goes. We did that and it was fine the rest of the trip. It was about 85 degrees and we were going 80MPH when the light came on. This is the first time it has happened. I have read a ton online about how common of a problem this is for the Compass on Patriot. A lot of people were never able to get it fixed and some had to get a new transmission. Does anyone on here have experience with this? I will talk to a mechanic tomorrow (not the one that recommend I wait another 20K to change the fluid), but I was wondering if anyone on this site had encountered this issue. I really don't want to be taking a vehicle I can't trust on that long of a trip. We were planning on driving both our vehicles along with our two kids (ages 4 months and 2 year old). Our other vehicle is a 2005 Expedition which is scheduled to have its rear differential rebuilt next week. I am wondering if I should just sell the Compass and plan on getting a second vehicle when we get to Pennsylvania. The car was a gift from my parents and has been in an accident prior to us receiving it. Neither my wife or I particularly care for it. I will never understand how Jeep knowingly put such a crappy motor and transmission in a modern vehicle. Part of the issue is that we need the vehicle while the other car gets its work done on it, so there won't be much time to either get the Compass fixed or sold before we need to be on the road. If you have any thoughts or advice, let me know.

Don't know about jeep compass but my wife has had 2 Nissan murano an 09 an a 2012 both had failures total Trans failure 3 in the 09 an 1 ln the 12 last one cost us 5450 it failed at just over 90 know and the ........ at Nissan would not cover it they covered the first 2 in the 09 but said the last one only had a 12k warranty I don't know for sure but I would say that the cvt is a pile and my recommendation would be to sell it before it cost you big bucks IMHO

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Do they salt the roads in Idaho? If there is ANY rust it will double or triple in the next two of three years in Pa.

Call a dealer, then another dealer then some place like aamco for the cost of a rebuild or reman trans and you will most likely get your answer.

Could it be the valve body, a lack of maintenance thing of dirty, burnt fluid? Yeah. Are you a mechanical person, have friends that know motors/trans? Replacing some trans stuff is just swapping parts. If you can diy that is prob $100 an hr x 5-8 hours of shop labor you could save.

Imo, I'd kick it down the line before it ********** the bed.

al_burpe

Observer
Don't know about jeep compass but my wife has had 2 Nissan murano an 09 an a 2012 both had failures total Trans failure 3 in the 09 an 1 ln the 12 last one cost us 5450 it failed at just over 90 know and the ........ at Nissan would not cover it they covered the first 2 in the 09 but said the last one only had a 12k warranty I don't know for sure but I would say that the cvt is a pile and my recommendation would be to sell it before it cost you big bucks IMHO
Ironically in my research, one of the recommendations I read from several sources was to take it to Nissan rather than Jeep as Nissan makes the CVT for both companies and has more experience with its failures.

Flamewave

Supposedly the Amsoil CVT fluid is really good and often fixes this situation. If you like the Compass enough to keep it, that's probably your best bet.

larock1971

I have a 2008 Patriot that flipped 250,000 miles not long ago. It also has the 2.4 and CVT.

According to my owners manual the 60k auto transmission fluid change is if the vehicle is used as a taxi, police, fleet, or frequent trailer towing. Regular use the fluid gets changed at 120k.

Yes depending on conditions or my driving I will get the transmission temp light. Usually when going over 75 mph while climbing, battling a headwind, or when I have the kayak loaded up top.

I live over 4,000 ft of elevation but work at 700. So if I don't want to see that light on my 30 Mile drive I keep it at 70 mph.

On the occasions I get the light, I pull off where safe and let it idle in neutral until the light goes out. No problem.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne