Advice on getting it up😳

MCRFB

Hi all,
I've tried most variations on the theme in regards to getting a >10tonne/290 hp MAN TGM with locking diffs, semi auto manual gearbox 24 speed H/L up and over a sand dune on Redhead beach to no avail. Pic below.
Anyone who knows the truck with experience driving up sand, I'd greatly appreciate their advice.
My thoughts are that it's hard to get it into the right powerband with enough momentum.
The setting I used to achieve my best result was in low range, diff s locked, in Dx mode, semi auto and tyres at 25 psi, normally 75.psiIMG_4108.jpg

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Only thing you can do is lower you tyre pressure. I've gone as low as 15 psi in the rear and 10 psi in front in my truck to get over a very steep wind lblown sand dune at the beach. Just drive slowly, don't try and use momentum, just crawl along, first gear low range. Don't make sharp turns or you will break the bead and have to reseat the tyre. If that doesn't work, then the dune is just too steep. Just make sure the other side is not steeper, or there is another way out because if you get over the dune, you don't want to be trapped. I run 365/80R20 tyres.

MCRFB

Only thing you can do is lower you tyre pressure. I've gone as low as 15 psi in the rear and 10 psi in front in my truck to get over a very steep wind lblown sand dune at the beach. Just drive slowly, don't try and use momentum, just crawl along, first gear low range. Don't make sharp turns or you will break the bead and have to reseat the tyre. If that doesn't work, then the dune is just too steep. Just make sure the other side is not steeper, or there is another way out because if you get over the dune, you don't want to be trapped. I run 365/80R20 tyres.
Appreciate your advice Iain. The truck is fitted with 385/65R22.5 Continental construction tyres as standard, so very stiff sidewalls.
I'll give it a go tomorrow morning as I seem to remember climbing up quite a long steep sand dune on the Coorong SA.
She went up slow and steady, don't remember if the sand was soft as it was 35degrees Celsius and I recced the route of 4km beforehand.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
It's just too steep on that angle so I'll decrease the angle for you to make it better. Yes less pressure in the tyres and try to crawl it up would be my choice.

truck2.jpg

Dan.

Fugly

Adventurer
MCRFB,

I don't have a heavy truck as you have ....
I have an 80 series Landcruser on some occasions I have let the tyres down to 8 psi......
Mud or sand go low and go slow......No sudden turns....

Just something to think about .....

Cheers Fugly

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hey Matt don't leave us hangin'. Did you get over that dune or do we need to send out a search party? Regards John

MCRFB

Sorry guys, unfortunately the area was invaded by the local species Australis Boganvillia. Since we were the largest vehicle on the beach it attracted unwanted attention and as the sun fell, this animal which moved in packs of around 4 with nary a brain cell to share, started to tap a tune on the back wall and make unusual noises, possibly a mating call for other Bogans.
We decided it was prudent to move around a kilometre up the beach to clear the unwanted attention so alas did not retest the dune. Another time for sure but would advise anyone not to stay on the beach anytime near the weekend, at least not if you have something other than a Ute or a Forbie, no offence intended!

Bris31

Adventurer
Have used chain in snow/ice many times but think it might not work in sand in every situation - especially in soft sand which doesn't pack like snow under the weight of vehicle, chain will cut through and sand will fly out. Once vehicle is bogged down it might be PITA to put the chain and may not help either. And if chains are put before the soft sand track, it might rotten the track for other vehicles coming from behind. Low tyre pressure, momentum will help in sand. If stuck then shovel and max tracks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste