Advice on 1996 Toyota T100 SR5 camper upgrades

DidBot

Howdy, Doing some research into outfitting my 1996 Toyota T100 SR5 3.4 V6 to be able to haul a roughly 900lb hard-sided Pastime 700s camper. I need to upgrade the suspension with airbags and would love frame-mounted tie-downs. I've seen an instance where someone used firestone ride-rites, but am not sure if they used the same model as with the first gen tundra. The only true fitment is the air-lifts, but they are 2-ply and generic. I would appreciate some tips on that. Likewise the tie-downs, I'm returning only results for stake post tie-downs, but would love to have frame mounted. Tips and comments appreciated!

dman93

Adventurer
Do you know what your payload will be with camper + camping gear and supplies? My ‘97 T100 had very stiff springs and with my FlipPac camper plus gear never felt overloaded. Though of course that’s a lot less than 900 lb. In fact, even with a 3/4 ton load of gravel the suspension wasn’t on the bump stops. If the camper will always be mounted perhaps a stiffer leaf pack or add-a-leaf would be more reliable. Don’t know about tie-downs …

aknightinak

They were from the days before Toyota abandoned payload. Those little things carried a lot for their size, 1,600 lb at the low end. Still, I found the springs wore out, dunno, by 100k or so. I went through add-a-leafs (for ride and height more than load) then had a set of Alcans made for the height and weight I wanted. IIRC I had them built off an overall truck weight I got at the dump scale of about 4300 lb. I remember being pretty shocked how much I weighed loaded out. Those Alcans rode and wheeled awesome.

My best friend when I had my T100 was my tape measure. I'd get specs on the brackets of the manufacturer you prefer for both Tundras and Tacomas and go from there. I imagine you could make either fit. With the T100, the crossover between the other two trucks and the mini tended to be close to spot on---a "no drill" kit might not be no-drill, say. Same with the tie downs: I could see having to space a set for a Tacoma or have an early Tundra set that was an inch or two further outboard than the T really needs.

It's a great truck. Unfortunately it didn't last long or receive much love from the aftermarket.

Last edited:

DidBot

Update: I ended up going with the torklift custom tie downs since there weren't any kits ($$$). I also added General Spring leaf packs with ride-rite airbags and now have had the camper on twice and the ride feels too soft still. I'm exploring other options.

NVLOC

Observer
The springs need to be properly built for the weight you are carrying. There's no magic or guessing to it. A competent spring shop will weigh your truck and build the necessary spring set to carry the weight. You will need shocks damped appropriately to control that amount of spring force or the truck will wallow. Off the shelf options are not worth your while for the T: talk to a competent spring shop, talk to a shock manufacturer that can build to spec (king, elka, icon, perhaps fox) and/or a service center than can valve shocks appropriately. The airbags will be barely needed if the above is done properly. Just do it right, it's a simple equation: enough spring to hold the weight, enough damping to control the spring.

The torklift frame mounted tie down kit is a good purchase, nice one. Other option here would be to have some made for the T. They are simple to make and the frame has many flat surfaces in the right areas for mounting.

DidBot

Sounds great, I'll reach out to Alcan and see what I can do for a leaf pack. As for shocks, I've got monomax on it now, but can look into the others that you mentioned. Appreciate the heads up on some of the companies.

Arclight

SAR guy
The rear leads on my T100 are probably due for replacement (they only have 300K miles on them!) Any suggestions for a spring shop in Souithern California?

rruff

Explorer
I also added General Spring leaf packs with ride-rite airbags and now have had the camper on twice and the ride feels too soft still.

So not sagging, just too soft? Need a precise description of what that means! Don't go buying another new spring pack... I suspect shocks will fix this.

Wallowing? Bouncy (underdamped)? Too much sway in corners?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier