Advice Needed

rdraider

Adventurer
Ok, so i've been looking around in this sub forum for little while and haven't found the info i'm looking for. So if this has been posted before and i'm just not good at searching please direct me.

I'm not really new to photography, just a little rusty. As i am nearing completion of my truck camper, I will start looking at possible replacement of my antiquated camera equipment.

What i have: 1998 Canon EOS Rebel G with a EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 and a EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 both lens are Canon but not of the ultrasonic design.

Its old school stuff, but entry level quality for the time. I think it cost me around $600 for the kit when i graduated college.

What i want: A digital camera that i could still use the lens with.

Looks like the Rebel T3 is entry level now, but i'm not sure i can afford $500-600 and still be able to travel anytime soon.

One thing I'm looking at is the Canon Power Shot SX30IS. It looks pretty cool, I know i wont be able to use my lens with it, but at $350, its within my price range.

Questions:

Is that camera worth it, or should i stay with a DSLR like the T3?

Is the T3 worth the extra money?

Are the micro 4/3 cameras capable of using the lens i have with an additional adapter? ( i also like the Olympus Pen and the Lumix G3)

Any help will be appreciated. I haven't done much photography in about 7 years, so i'm rusty and have forgotten much.

photoman

Explorer
Look for a used Canon DSLR body if a new T3 is too much.

Rebel
40D
etc.

You can find them on Craigslist, KEH, POTN, etc.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
No, you would not be able to use your lens on a 4/3rds body, for the principle reason that Canon does not make one. With that limited of a budget, I'd suggest a good point n shoot, like a Canon G12

ywen

Explorer
yeah just buy a cheap Canon DSLR body to start with.. 10D thru 40D, or any of the rebel series... some can be had for $200 or less I'm sure..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz