Advice Needed:: Tacoma owner considering a ZR2

XJLI

Adventurer
I was never blind-love Toyota fanboy, though I do really like a lot of their older trucks. The new one wasn't my cup of tea at all when it came out, but it's growing on me. Add to the fact that my buddy's got almost the same fuel mileage as my '05 1500 when it is empty TOWING a Jeep (super lightweight trailer and a TJ, but still ~5,000lbs) AND a dirtbike in the bed and kept up with 2500s on the way from NY to TN made me a believer. Didn't even squat under all the weight.

Gsnfjwrl.jpg

I really like the ZR2, and on paper that would be the truck I pick, but Toyota seems to do a lot right. As far as MPG goes, yea, a new full-size domestic truck gets the same mileage as the Tacoma, and can be had cheaper, but the Tacoma has been the mid size truck for a long time, and even with the new drivetrain it still does it. We also had a '15 1500 Sierra towing something like 9,000lbs and it did great and got the same fuel mileage as the Tacoma.

McFly2003

Adventurer
Just played a few days of catch up in this thread. Easy y'all, I never intended to get anyone riled up. As I stated in the original post, on top of the improved economy, I was just down right impressed by the driving experience over that of my Tacoma. It was quieter, felt roomier, more planted and refined. That said, the materials were hugely sub-par for something in that price range.

As some have stated, and I am 100% guilty of this (come by it honestly), there is the impulse factor. There is always something newer and "better". I get caught up in this from time to time, and this is one of those instances. I have some things I wish my truck would do a little bit better and those things are remedied in a newer option.

I have decided (at least for now), to hold on to my toyota and see how it handles the next year or two of my life. I may take a look at the new Ranger when it drops, but I'm not sure thats even a route I would like to go. Thank you all!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
There's nothing wrong with doing what makes you happy and who are a bunch of random knuckleheads on the Internet to say you're wrong?

But still think it's a good idea to sleep on it and approach it with a level head, even if you can afford it. No one ever got wealthier by spending money.

Keeping your Tacoma is smarter and I bet you'd get some buyer's remorse soon after switching when you start to find the little things that irritate you about the new truck, too. That always happens, you don't notice them until you start living with it daily and then you can't ignore them until you find something else to fixate on. Or that might just be, I dunno.

Clutch

<---Pass
Easy y'all, I never intended to get anyone riled up.

Don't think anyone is riled up...just a bunch numbskull inmates arguing for the sake arguing. ;)

I have decided (at least for now), to hold on to my toyota and see how it handles the next year or two of my life. I may take a look at the new Ranger when it drops, but I'm not sure thats even a route I would like to go. Thank you all!

Cool! I am real curious about the Ranger myself. Might be the Goldilocks of all the mid-sizes. Hopefully Ford doesn't ******** it up. :D

You're welcome.

McFly2003

Adventurer
The TRD PRO is an appearance package with a Camry motor. Get the ZR2

I suppose I should add that I was not just limiting myself to the Pro package. I only looked at one because I liked the color and they were giving my numbers out the door within a few bucks of a OffRoad. I am aware that it is, in large part, an appearance package, and I would change the suspension either way.

Oh, and they are not the same engine.

I've been looking at both the Taco and the ZR2 diesel and was starting to lean towards the ZR2. Then I started running the gas numbers on it. After paying the $3k premium for the diesel, factoring in the local difference in gas and diesel prices, the amount of time it would take to recoup the diesel premium was in the decades time frame. At that point, the only advantage the diesel had for me was the extended range (still a viable advantage).

As of now, I'm still driving my Jeep.

Now factor in YOUR time. You should be able to pretty much assume that you will need to stop for fuel about half as much. Personally thats stopping for a fill up every 2 weeks vs every week on my daily commute. Also just recently took a trip with a buddy, we had to stop for fuel (for him) on the way down and on the way back, whereas I made the whole trip on 1/2 tank. Would have been nice if I was with a fellow diesel and neither of us would have had to stop.

Point is that there are other influences that one should consider of value to one's self aside from just the cost of fueling. ;)

Smileyshaun

Observer
just a little food for thought ...

If the OP was asking "hey should i get rid of my tacoma for the new diesel tacoma " I think all of these answers would be a lot different . I will fully admit Chevy has made some crap vehicles in the past but I believe they are really making a comeback and to have a vehicle with a diesel, lockers front and rear , long travel suspension ,factory rock sliders and a high clearence front bumper is a huge leap in the right direction for manufacturers to make more offroad worthy rigs from the factory .

Etoimos

Observer
Now factor in YOUR time. You should be able to pretty much assume that you will need to stop for fuel about half as much. Personally thats stopping for a fill up every 2 weeks vs every week on my daily commute. Also just recently took a trip with a buddy, we had to stop for fuel (for him) on the way down and on the way back, whereas I made the whole trip on 1/2 tank. Would have been nice if I was with a fellow diesel and neither of us would have had to stop.

Point is that there are other influences that one should consider of value to one's self aside from just the cost of fueling. ;)

I agree the extra range is a huge plus. But you kind of killed your own point with that bit about you having to stop for your buddy. With so few offroad diesel options out there, the chances of running in a diesel only group is slim. The 3~4 hours per year you save by gassing up only every other week could be a factor, but for me it's not.

I'm still kicking around the idea of the diesel ZR2, so I'm not bashing it at all. I just wish there was more aftermarket support for it.

Clutch

<---Pass

That is the one thing that annoys me about my truck, having to stop and get fuel all the time. Twice a week for me....but is a little convenience worth paying $40K for...not so sure.

On the road, I can't hold my bladder for that long... ;) :D

Extra range sure would be nice though. Had to bring a couple extra jerry cans this past weekend for just in case. A crappy map, and a GPS that failed...made for a couple wrong turns, damn glad I brought extra fuel.

Etoimos

Observer
Now factor in YOUR time. You should be able to pretty much assume that you will need to stop for fuel about half as much. Personally thats stopping for a fill up every 2 weeks vs every week on my daily commute. Also just recently took a trip with a buddy, we had to stop for fuel (for him) on the way down and on the way back, whereas I made the whole trip on 1/2 tank. Would have been nice if I was with a fellow diesel and neither of us would have had to stop. Point is that there are other influences that one should consider of value to one's self aside from just the cost of fueling. ;)

Researching more in to the diesel ZR2 as an option for me, your post did make me think about rather or not the gas station I fill up at even has diesel (I fill up on an AF base). I'll check the next time I fill up, but I don't think it does. As the next closest gas station is miles out of the way for me, it is something to consider.

Researching more in to the diesel ZR2 as an option for me, your post did make me think about rather or not the gas station I fill up at even has diesel (I fill up on an AF base). I'll check the next time I fill up, but I don't think it does. As the next closest gas station is miles out of the way for me, it is something to consider.

Delete it and use JP-8??? ;)

rickc

Adventurer
my 2c: I owned and loved my old 89 4Runner for 15 years and had about 400k km on it (250k miles) when I sold it. Other than brakes and tires it only cost me a few belts, a couple of batteries, a belt tensioner and a water pump; my Toyota experience has been good. I've never had a Taco but played with plenty and was close to buying one a few years ago but instead, I got a gas, 3.6l Colorado crew cab long(er) box. I'm 6'1" and slim and found the Taco cab tight without much headroom; the Colorado just fit me better.

Loads of aftermarket goodies for Tacos, but almost nothing for Colorados but that is changing. ARB even makes a front bumper for them this year which is all I was waiting for. I've had a diesel truck before (H1) and loved it but I don't really need the grunt pulling power this time around and figured the 3.6l gas motor would work fine for my purposes.

The truck is plenty fast enough on the highway and handles really well on the forest service roads. I have not done any serious crawling with it yet because I'm missing my winch; to be rectified in a month or two. I've screwed with it a bit; 5.5" lift, bigger wheels/tires, canopy, rear tire carrier. Usually has an ARB Simpson III or a kayak up top. I find it very stable and responsive. The engine response and gearing took a little while to get used to but this is the same for every new truck. I'm averaging around 12l/100km or almost 20mpg when it's loaded with a RTT; not bad.

I don't really get the comments regarding the interior; it's a truck. I think too many truck owners are getting used to luxury interiors; fine if all your doing is mall crawling but stuff it with dirty kids and a dog and the flashy interiors don't respond too well. I find the simple Colorado interior really easy to keep clean.

Of note, it's biggest parking lot fans are Taco owners; always parking next to me and comparing notes.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
It is not so much about the appearance of the interior in GM vehicles, it's more so the quality and durability of the materials used and tactility if you will of those materials. If you like buttons falling off and the rubber coatings peeling off on your dash then that's your business, but if it's my money spent I expect simple items like those to stand up to everyday use for more than a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz