Advice buying an 80 in Qatar

CascadesTacoma

As my name may betray, I've historically driven Tacomas... in the PNW. But I live in Qatar now and drive a 2015 Mitsubishi Pajero (3.8l, rear locker) which is highly capable and has only struggled up a couple of sand dunes fully loaded including the Tepui RTT, ARB fridge, 14 gallons of water, 2 kids, and two dogs. Granted, I rarely engage the rear locker because it isn't easy mid-dune like an ARB air locker, and who wants to take the time when you can just drive faster. That's the background. Qatar is a Land Cruiser hub; 3 of 5 vehicles on the road is a 200 and the fourth is an 80 or 100. Unlike the US, where 80's are coveted and prices inflated, here in the land of eden they are a dime a dozen. Now is the best time to buy an 80 for myself... but there is a problem:

The engine blocks and transmissions on most of the older models have taken years of torture. One of the eBay Motors/Craigslist out here is QatarLiving and here is the current (when you click) listing of 80 Series: Link-> QatarLiving 80 Series

My request from the readers is to peruse the listing--having watched the Youtube video--and give me some advice on how to go into my future purchase. Things to look for, parts which will/may need immediate replacement, etc.

Thanks. Also, dune bashing is addicting, my 3 year old daughter loves it, my wife... not so much.0fc9912d-29c3-4e95-8861-e9823d0ecb6a.JPG1070016d-db10-4861-865c-7b6307c83497.JPG13f7c9da-4818-43c9-a3cc-76bd0e5124d3.JPG
(yes, that's cowboy coffee, because sometimes you just have to get out the door and forget your drip)

Last edited:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
If I were in your shoes, I'd try to find a diesel cruiser in the best condition possible. They are very easy to modify to make big power, which I'm guessing would help with dunes. Like the gas engines, the diesels are very reliable, even when running high boost. In Qatar, I'd keep an eye out for rust issues as well. Also, if I were in your shoes, I would go over to Ih8mud and check in. There is a good 80 series subforum as well as a diesel subforum with very knowledgeable people. Happy hunting!

tplane2

Can't speak for the diesel crowd but for a 1FZ equipped 80 I'd check for:

-Cooling system refresh: Pesky Heater hose, heater control valve, new upper and lower radiator hoses, make sure the rear heater has been deleted or hoses replaced. Check the radiator and make sure it isn't "browned"
-Leaks tended to (they all leak) : Oil pump cover, dizzy o-ring, front main seal, rear main, upper oil pan and valve cover. These parts are cheap, but are all labor intensive.
-Check functionality of the T-case: discontinued and big money if needed replaced/rebuilt.
-Check steering box: discontinued and big money if needed replaced/rebuilt.
-Head Gasket: I'd say 30% of 1FZs have an issue with the HG. 50% change them out as preventative maintenance. IMO the issue is overblown and wouldn't worry with it until needed. If its already done, thats a positive.

Interior: Check for a cracked dash from heat, seat leathers will most likely be shot, power antenna will most likely be broken (replace with OEM manual).

Rust: Its the desert but you never know. Common Areas: upper hatch handle, around the rear window molding, behind rear wheel wells.

I'm sure there are a few more others will chime in on, but thats what I'd look for.

CascadesTacoma

Thanks for the information. Great things to look out for. I'd love to have a diesel but they are very rare out here. There are a ton of single cab 70s out here but I've only seen one double cab 79 and maybe one 76. You'd also expect more Defenders, but I've only seen a handful.

D

Deleted member 9101

As someone who lived in Doha for a year for a little over a year... I'd buy a Raptor. If you want to hall ass up a dune... Why do it in a heavy, slow, and underpowered SUV?

CascadesTacoma

I should clarify, bombing up a dune at 8000rpm isn't the dune bashing I enjoy. More exploring without limitation. And when I move back to the US or next stop in the world, I want to take the 80 with me.

The Raptor is a popular vehicle out here, it does really really well on the dunes.

CascadesTacoma

After hunting around for some time, I have learned almost no 80 series in Qatar have rear lockers. The rear e-locker seems to have arrived with the 100 series.

I've owned Tacomas which didn't have a rear locker and was never hampered. The 2015 Pajero I have now has a rear e-locker but I've never used it. I do use the center lock most of the time when driving in sand.

Question though, are there any performance differences between the rear locked 80 series and those without?

tplane2

They are either front and rear locked or open on both ends. No 80 series has only a single rear locker.

Unless you're bombing through desert with potential to get stuck, I wouldn't worry with lockers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz