Adventures of Hodor, A Gladiator Build Thread

grogie

Like to Camp
I really like the size of the FWC Swift and that it provides what my new requirements are: a furnace, able to stand up in, and a place to go during wet weather (which is not with my RTT). I was at Expo East last fall, and the last morning it was 23 degrees. I went by a Tacoma with a Swift on it, and the owners were warm and comfy drinking coffee.

Last, I did a build to order for my TJ and it was a long 8 weeks. :)

The Artisan

Adventurer
I have a product you might be interested in. I just received my patent pending number on my poptopper and will move forward on prototypes for my firstgen 4runner.
Kevin

Josh_Smith

I'm excited to see the builds I've been thinking about picking up a Rubi myself. It's looking like a better choice over the Tacoma the more I research

camodog

Adventurer
A slight update.
Apparently my gladiator is off to the sticker and decal stage.
Not sure what that means. I assume we should be close to a finished product and the long wait til shipment.

moabian

Interesting. I haven't heard of that stage yet. Mine is still in D status...unchanged for 41 days now. It's aggravating that orders placed a few days to several weeks later when they were not allowed to order restricted items are sailing through the production process...while those of us who ordered in the first day or two are not allowed to remove those restricted items (which were not yet restricted when our orders were placed) from our orders so our vehicles will be built. There are some predictions that it may be December before the steel front bumpers are available. I find that hard to believe since, as far as I know, that bumper is identical to the JL front bumper. FCA has a considerable number of unhappy customers at this point...and there has been zero communication from them as to what is actually causing the delays.

Edit: Just spoke with Jeep chat and finally got the first bit of actual information from them after a much longer than normal chat session. They stated that vehicles with the factory steel front bumper will begin production late June/early July. I did not mention the bumper in chat, so this seems to verify that the delays have been caused by that option, which was restricted by about the first day of May.

Last edited:

camodog

Adventurer
I was just told that RCI Off-road here in Colorado will be working on a gladiator as their project truck! This is excellent news as I used their skids on my 5th Gen 4Runner.

I do not work for or get kick backs, just a happy customer.

camodog

Adventurer
My window sticker was issued today! So now we wait for shipping. Expecting a late July delivery. Dealer will install lift, wheels, and tires, then I drive it home hopefully week 1 in August

Interesting. I haven't heard of that stage yet. Mine is still in D status...unchanged for 41 days now. It's aggravating that orders placed a few days to several weeks later when they were not allowed to order restricted items are sailing through the production process...while those of us who ordered in the first day or two are not allowed to remove those restricted items (which were not yet restricted when our orders were placed) from our orders so our vehicles will be built. There are some predictions that it may be December before the steel front bumpers are available. I find that hard to believe since, as far as I know, that bumper is identical to the JL front bumper. FCA has a considerable number of unhappy customers at this point...and there has been zero communication from them as to what is actually causing the delays.

Edit: Just spoke with Jeep chat and finally got the first bit of actual information from them after a much longer than normal chat session. They stated that vehicles with the factory steel front bumper will begin production late June/early July. I did not mention the bumper in chat, so this seems to verify that the delays have been caused by that option, which was restricted by about the first day of May.

I've had my DD JT Rubi for 3 weeks now here in Denver. Like it a lot, but it draws attention- even from the PO. Seems everyone whos ever had a Wrangler wants to see it and everyone wants to talk to you about it- except the guy with the new JL whom you happened to park near at the local grocery (he's pissed that he didn't wait!)

My order was held up by steel bumper/front trailcam/bedliner and who knows what else. I ordered on day 1 of ordering and had to delete those items to get it here in June. Wifey works for FCA, I used to work for Chrysler back in the day. Pretty typical for a new product, but they didn't make any friends by not sharing that info about the late availability on the steel bumper. Really though, its not that big of a deal as a lot of them will get aftermarket ones anyways. The strangest thing that happened though is that it didn't come with the soft top, as I ordered the dual top option. Now, the window sticker has the charge for the top, but its not here. Found out supplier is working 24/7 and is behind so they are just shipping them without- for which I'm pretty glad for. Hope to have the top in August to get a few months in before the snow flies. Also Waiting on the MOPAR (gotta stay in the family) CAI to arrive now. Debating the pros/cons (COST) of adding the sweet sound of forced induction....ohhhhhhhh!

I do however agree with the comments from the previous posts about the "floaty" ride of the JT vs JL Rubi. Hard to quantify but driven back to back its noticeable. But, putting in a load of dirtbikes, gear, cooler, BBQ and tools and didn't make it squat and seemed more drivable at highway speeds. Nothing scientific but just a gut feeling. That same load in the JL (well only 1 bike on a trailer hitch vs 2 in the JT bed) was very noticeable in squat and handling. Stock- I think the JT is a perfect hit for most of us: mannered enough to drive to work and city life yet beefy enough to get us beyond that typical trailhead parking/camping spot back to the less crowded areas. Can't wait to see what everyone does to these little beasts. I think that these trucks need at least 37" tires with a lift, and I am sure that 40's would be even better (if I wasn't driving it to work everyday). n Hope you all get yours very very soon.

Bryan

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Planning on re gearing when running 37’s? I watched a video from TFL truck which did a towing test on the gladiator, it really really struggled. From the looks of the video, if I had one and ran anything over a 35 I would re gear it.
Going from the stock tires to 37's makes the gearing equivalent to 3.67. According to the interwebs, the automatic just makes it work. Gearing is spread crazy wide.

camodog

Adventurer
1000 mile update.
After meticulously following the engine break-in procedure, I have driven highway, city, and some mild off-roading.
From 1,200’ all the way up to 12,000’ in elevation.
I can say that this truck has performed flawlessly.
The 8 speed with the gas motor just makes it work. It doesn't feel like it is struggling or sluggish and can easily keep pace with traffic and even overtake going up steep highway sections in the Rockies.
I have not pulled a trailer in these conditions yet, and if you don’t plan on pulling a trailer much, a regear isn’t necessary imo even with 37” AT tires.

I really like the adaptive cruise control with full stop. Although the system brakes a tad harder than i would have, the stress relief from dealing with commuting bumper-bumper traffic is worth it. I would highly recommend the system to those that are interested.

The auto start/stop feature is nice and works well even in high 90 degree days and the ac on. If the battery can’t keep up with the ac, the truck will auto start to keep you cool even when the brake is depressed.

I’ll be sure to update as time goes on. Feel free to ask questions. Sorry for the lack of pics, ExPo won’t allow me to upload my standard pics from iPhone as the files are too large.

MikeWeaver

Looks like the majority of the bolt-on parts from JL will fit on the Gladiator, which mean that you have a huge choice of upgrades. Looking forward to seeing the completed build!

Heavyopp

Observer
1000 mile update.

The auto start/stop feature is nice and works well even in high 90 degree days and the ac on. If the battery can’t keep up with the ac, the truck will auto start to keep you cool even when the brake is depressed.

Just blew it for me -- I never want to own a vehicle that shuts off at a stoplight

Can you turn this feature off????

Superduty

Adventurer
Just blew it for me -- I never want to own a vehicle that shuts off at a stoplight

Can you turn this feature off????

I couldn't imagine doing any serious off roading with the on off feature. I am gonna guess (hope) Jeep installed an override?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles