Adventures of Hodor, A Gladiator Build Thread

Have you taken the camper off since original install? How hard would it be to remove and reinstall the camper for weekend and longer excursions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camodog

Adventurer
No I haven’t. It’s a semi permanent solution.
tailgate is also removed.

i wouldnt recommend it for on/off on a frequent basis

Phreak480

Army Guy
No I haven’t. It’s a semi permanent solution.
tailgate is also removed.

i wouldnt recommend it for on/off on a frequent basis

Are there any holes that need to be drilled for install or is it truly 100% bolt on (i know there is adhesive added during the install)? I want to avoid drilling holes in the bed due to the road salt used here in the northeast.

camodog

Adventurer
Are there any holes that need to be drilled for install or is it truly 100% bolt on (i know there is adhesive added during the install)? I want to avoid drilling holes in the bed due to the road salt used here in the northeast.

no holes, just make sure you have the Mopar bed rail system, I bought an aftermarket version and didn’t work, so I had to buy the Mopar one and sell the other.

Phreak480

Army Guy
no holes, just make sure you have the Mopar bed rail system, I bought an aftermarket version and didn’t work, so I had to buy the Mopar one and sell the other.

Awesome, thanks.

Any chance you could when you get a chance open the rear slider on the jeep and stick a tape measure through and see how much distance there is before it hits the front wall of the alu-cab? I'm looking at crafting a pass through setup (yes i know the window is small) when I get mine. Might be able to get some cooling of the space and summer and some warming in winter that way.

jerstw

Adventurer
Awesome rig...and looking at your photos clinched I am going with white vs. "Sting Gray". Few questions for you if I may...
  • How is the offset on those Method's and the 37's with the 2" lift? Anything rubbing under full compression / flex with the sway bar disconnected?
  • Did you do anything with different rate rear coils for the rear for the weight of the Alu-Cab?
  • Thoughts on needing to re-gear yet?
  • Rough MPG you are seeing just getting to and from adventures (HWY MPG)?
Thank you!

camodog

Adventurer
Awesome rig...and looking at your photos clinched I am going with white vs. "Sting Gray". Few questions for you if I may...
  • How is the offset on those Method's and the 37's with the 2" lift? Anything rubbing under full compression / flex with the sway bar disconnected?
  • Did you do anything with different rate rear coils for the rear for the weight of the Alu-Cab?
  • Thoughts on needing to re-gear yet?
  • Rough MPG you are seeing just getting to and from adventures (HWY MPG)?
Thank you!

Not sure what the offset is, but with the 37” BFG KO2s fully stuffed and locked to either side I have never had a single rub, and I have really put it to test on multiple occasions, both connected and disconnected.

I have not, the Mopar lift was supposed to be a temporary solution, but it’s been working so well I’ve just left it. It could use a slightly stiffer rear spring, or maybe even an air bag with the added weight, but honestly it’s not that bad. Maybe a future upgrade, but for now there is no need to throw money at a problem that doesn’t exist.

Yes. I would like to regear, it’s not absolutely mandatory, but the tires, the weight, the lack of aerodynamics, the steep grades on the Rocky Mountain highways make me want to upgrade to 4.88. Again, not a must have because the 8 speed does a great job. But definitely a nice to have

hard to say because the conditions are always changing, but I can say that 15mpg is what I always get on a full tank. That includes city/highway/trail riding combined.

steep grades and gale force winds may drop that some, but not much.

jerstw

Adventurer
Not sure what the offset is, but with the 37” BFG KO2s fully stuffed and locked to either side I have never had a single rub, and I have really put it to test on multiple occasions, both connected and disconnected.

I have not, the Mopar lift was supposed to be a temporary solution, but it’s been working so well I’ve just left it. It could use a slightly stiffer rear spring, or maybe even an air bag with the added weight, but honestly it’s not that bad. Maybe a future upgrade, but for now there is no need to throw money at a problem that doesn’t exist.

Yes. I would like to regear, it’s not absolutely mandatory, but the tires, the weight, the lack of aerodynamics, the steep grades on the Rocky Mountain highways make me want to upgrade to 4.88. Again, not a must have because the 8 speed does a great job. But definitely a nice to have

hard to say because the conditions are always changing, but I can say that 15mpg is what I always get on a full tank. That includes city/highway/trail riding combined.

steep grades and gale force winds may drop that some, but not much.

Appreciate the response.

In regards to the Gladiator and how you are using it...are there any factory options you have you would not get again or anything you did not get on your Jeep you wish it had? Asking as I am going over the build sheet on mine from the dealer (order to be placed in the next couple weeks) and am undecided on the need / want for things such as the safety package (backup sensors, cross path detection, etc.) and the adaptive cruise being the two of primary debate at the moment. I was considering the new 4:1 Rock-Trac HD Full Time t-case but have come to learn it has CV joint on the front axle and am hearing from at least one source the t-case leverages a "clutch plate design" vs. chain...would like to see the inside of the t-case just to see how is is actually built...at this point planning to skip this one and stick with the standard 4:1 Rock Trac Part Time.

On your Alu-Cab...were you able to relocate the backup camera from the tailgate?

Again, thank you.

Last edited:

camodog

Adventurer
I should have selected the trail rail system, not sure how I skipped it. Besides that I think the only other option I didn’t select was the metal front bumper.
I have not relocated the camera yet, the rear alerts have helped in that regard, but I hope to get that fixed soon.
tough to see with the camper on the back

camodog

Adventurer
I really wanted the diesel too! Then the 392 JL concept (dream) and the 4XE and a late unexpected business opportunity for me put a giant hold on everything.
the old 3.6 will continue to be the workhorse until Jeep can figure itself out and my returns start to materialize.

camodog

Adventurer
Fwiw anyone that is getting a camper option, you’ll also want to relocate the xm antenna. Luckily, I am heavy Spotify user and don’t really care for xm radio, but if you don’t have downloaded music and like xm while far away standard radio stations, the camper can block the signal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier