Adventures in lifting a WK CRD

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I bought my super-clean 2007 WK two years ago. Among the first mods I made, was add JBA upper A arms, 32" tires and a Rough Country spacer lift. I had to trim a bit of plastic, but everything was good and off-roady.

A year later, it was time to get more expo, so a added an ARB bull bar, Warn winch, RTT, and a Wam rear bumper with swing arm. To hold all this stuff up, I went with the OME HD lift. This was November 2018, and that pretty much put me out of the offroad business.

There wasn't enough plastic to cut to clear the tires, I even had to relocate the TPMS so the tire to clear it. In short, I was basically at stock height again. After a very circular conversation with ARB tech, the conclusion presented was it's basically my fault for owning a CRD model. Whatever really.

My Jeep has been under the knife since yesterday getting a new lift installed. The plan is to install the Super Lift 4" with the existing OME components up front, and SL components in the rear with the RC spacers to level it out. It's supposed to be done today, but I have zero expectation that it will be.

The measurement from the center hub to the fender was 20 1/4" when it went in, I'll report what the after is when I know.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
On Thursday 7/31, I get a text from the shop; 'would you like to come take it for a test drive and tell us what you think?'
Of course, this translates 'we didn't do what you asked, but maybe you'll like it anyway'
I replied to the text stating that I was in Moab until 7/5. I requested a pic so I can see the stance. They did send a pic, I asked if they installed the rear spacers I gave them, no response.
On Monday, I UBER'd down to the shop, saw the Jeep, looked cool. I asked, "did you install the rear spacers?" The response, "no, because it looked level (not really) once we got it on the ground." I said, "it looks somewhat level now, but there's nothing in the trunk, the Jerry cans are empty, and there's no trailer connected." "When my gear is in back and the natural settling of the springs, I'm going to look like i live in the Carolinas". "OK, no problem, I can put the spacers in, but you'll have to leave it with me".

FML

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Finally got ‘er home last night. With the OME HD lift, the fender to hub measurement was 20 1/4”, after the SL-OME-Rough Country Frankenlift, the measurement is now 25.5"

cb7081fe3135826489fd70e706ccffba.jpg

18d67ed5df554bb8cc93ca0026148dc1.jpg

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Looks good. What is the bigger tire plan?

I have a Roth Industries trailer to pay for in Sept first. Perhaps an upgrade to 33s, but a regear goes with that, and these tires are only a few months old so no rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job on the lift. I was skeptical of the description, but it turned out well. How do you like your JBA A-arms? Did you drop them for the frankenlift? I keep waffling on getting them.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Great job on the lift. I was skeptical of the description, but it turned out well. How do you like your JBA A-arms? Did you drop them for the frankenlift? I keep waffling on getting them.

No. The a arms are needed more than ever now.

KUJeeper82

You really think you need a regear with the CRD? I'm running 33's on mine with the GDE hot tune and just idle along while rock crawling in the rockies. Turbo only needs to throw 2-3 psig boost to get over most obstacles with the Eaton e-lockers.

I'm planning a modified superlift myself later this year. I have 2" lift JBA arms, heavy OME springs (front) and 2" lifter pucks for the rear SL springs. Going with external reservoir Bilstein springs in rear and will keep the front 4600 already in service. How is the rear drive shaft with your new lift? Thinking of having a custom made with serviceable u-joints. Only at half tread on the Duratracs, so will probably hold off on new rubber for awhile. If you managed to buy 4X armor before they closed up the belly and front guard do their jobs.

20190824_063902.jpg20190811_113501 (reduced).jpg

KUJeeper82

Man, before going that route, if you haven't added the GDE Hot Tune, do that. There's also several mods you can do to open up the engine so it can breathe better, such as deleting the intercooler inlet resonator (there's a russian silicone resonator delete hose for $150), and even upgrading the intercooler (CB Engineering makes a decent DIY kit too). I went all out and redesigned my whole intercooler system using a Treadstone TR8.

The 3.0L Merc diesel has a ton of low end torque once you fix the tuning and allow it to breathe. My build thread is over on Jeepforum, but I'm turning my jeep into more of an expedition/shtf type rig now so thinking spending more time here.

20180805_155509 (Reduced).jpg20180806_073111 (reduced).jpg

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Man, before going that route, if you haven't added the GDE Hot Tune, do that. There's also several mods you can do to open up the engine so it can breathe better, such as deleting the intercooler inlet resonator (there's a russian silicone resonator delete hose for $150), and even upgrading the intercooler (CB Engineering makes a decent DIY kit too). I went all out and redesigned my whole intercooler system using a Treadstone TR8.

The 3.0L Merc diesel has a ton of low end torque once you fix the tuning and allow it to breathe. My build thread is over on Jeepforum, but I'm turning my jeep into more of an expedition/shtf type rig now so thinking spending more time here.

View attachment 534506View attachment 534507

Sweet. You should start your own thread then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles