Adventures around the Atlantic

Atlantic Rising

Hello fellow expeditioners,
I wondered if you might be interested in our trip. We are currently driving a Land Rover defender 110 around the edge of the Atlantic Ocean. The idea is to follow the one metre contour line, the level to which seas are predicted to rise by 2100.
We left the UK on September 1 2009 and since then have travelled 18,000miles through Europe, around West Africa to Ghana, across the Atlantic by container ship and through Brazil. We have now just arrived in Venezuela.
We have driven across the Sahara desert, through rebel held territory in Cote d'Ivoire and spent more than a month arguing with Brazilian customs officials.
Now are heading northwards up the Atlantic coast of the Americas to Canada and would love to hear from anyone who has already travelled that route.
Please have a look at our website www.atlanticrising.org for information about our environmental education project, schools network, off road driving adventures and photos and videos of some of the amazing places we have been to.

You can also follow us on Twitter or Facebook.

We would love to hear from people who have any advice or who are doing similar adventures.

Best wishes

Lynn, Tim and Will
www.atlanticrising.org

unURBAN

Adventurer
Yes! It would be fun to read more about your travels and projects here on ExPo.

Can't offer much advice for Central America yet, but we are slowly making our way south. Maybe we see you on the road!

Espen&Malin

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Thanks for joining the forum! I think all of us would want to hear more about your adventures from your gallery - they are excellent!!!!

I took the liberty to copy over some pictures...

WAKING%20UP.jpg

BRIDGE%203.jpg

IN%20VILLAGE.jpg

P1030800.JPG

SWIMMING%20POOL.jpg

WEST%20POINT.jpg

photo-view.asp

More here:

http://www.atlanticrising.org/gallery/photo.asp

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
If and when you come through Florida, make sure you stop by for a visit.

You've got a place to stay for the night, and some cold drinks so we can hear some of the stories while sitting at our 4' elevation above sea level...LOL

Cool site!

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Due come to Florida. There is so much rich history to see here. Please contact me as you get closer so I can.........point you in the right direction so to say. Happy and safe travels!

Atlantic Rising

More adventures

Thanks so much for all the offers of help - we are definitely coming to Florida probably in September and it would be fantastic to meet up.

In the meanwhile we have just arrived in Cartagena, Colombia and are busy organising shipping our car to Mexico.

We have recently put up lots more photos on our website so check out when Atlantic Rising met Venezuela's most famous explorer and read about his amazing adventures.

We have also been writing lots more about the environmental issues in the countries we pass through.

Any suggestions for places to go in the US or Canada along the Atlantic coastline are much appreciated.

Best wishes, Lynn
www.atlanticrising.org

cpg

Adventurer
Wow some unreal photos. 80 pull ups at 71 that is impressive. That cave is huge.

Thank you

Atlantic Rising

Colombia to Mexico

Hello,
A quick update before we get on board a ship from Cartagena in Colombia to Veracruz in Mexico.
We discovered some countries in Central America are not keen on right hand drive vehicles so we have decided to ship directly to Mexico. This means we will be in the US sooner and very much looking forward to meeting some of you! Although it is a shame to miss out on such a big part of the journey.
We have had a fantastic time in Colombia visiting Caribbean islands and swimming in a volcano full of mud.
A full explanation of the exportation process coming soon on the website but suffice to say there was a lot of filling in forms and waiting for officials to stamp pieces of paper.
You can find out much more about our journey around the Atlantic on our website.
And we are also on Twitter and Facebook.
If anyone has any suggestions of places we should be visiting along the east coast of America or Canada please get in touch.

Best wishes
Lynn
www.atlanticrising.org

Atlantic Rising

Arrived in Mexico

Hello,
We have just arrived in Veracruz Mexico. Read all about our time on board the good ship Tasco here! And about the anti narcotics police inspection here.
We are now battling bureaucracy to get our car and contents released by customs before continuing our journey north.
We are visiting a school in Tampico and then heading into the US. Should be in Texas in about a week if all goes to plan.
Any suggestions for places to visit along the Atlantic coast of the Americas much appreciated.
Please check our website for lots of photos of the journey so far.

Lynn
www.atlanticrising.org

Atlantic Rising

HELP with Mexico customs!

Hello,
I wonder if any of you overlanding experts has temporarily imported a car to Mexico.
We are trying to do it having just arrived in Veracruz on a ship from Cartagena. And because our car has things in - camping equipment mostly but also a video camera - this is proving very tricky.
Apparently the customs need to classify everything on our packing list as personal effects or otherwise and then we will be taxed on what is not deemed to be personal effects.
I have tried to explain the whole lot is personal effects but that doesn't work apparently if it is not on their list that is no good.
Any suggestions?
Can any one tell me how they managed to get through customs?
It is super frustrating because we are wasting time while they fiddle with paperwork when we have plans for the US!
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Lynn
www.atlanticrising.org

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
One of the beautiful things with the Overland World, if you throw out a invite, you never know when someone will come knocking on your door.

So last night, I hear the door bell ring, and who is standing at the front door? Lynn, Tim and Will. Their well worn Land Rover parked in front of the motel as they stand there smiling saying "We remember you posting something on EXPO about having a place to crash for the night if we were passing through." :wings:

Awesome group of people who have some amazing stories to tell of their adventures around the coastline of the Atlantic Ocean. This will be a great book or documentary to buy once they're done with their travels.

Dinner and drinks at one of the local restaurants and we woke this morning to a dolphin show off the dock to rival Sea World.

My only wish, they werent so pressed for time and Cindy and I had a few days to show them around, get them on a boat in the Gulf and hear more of their stories.

If you havent checked out their site, be sure to do so. Their travels are for a great cause and they need some support if you have the ability.

I'll post some photos later, just wanted to mention how cool it was to have fellow travelers drop by for a visit.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Atlantic_Rising_Lowkey_Hideaway.JPG

Tim, Lynn & Will Posing in front of their Land Rover at the Low-Key Hideaway

Atlantic_Rising_Computer_Time.JPG

Tim, Lynn & Will working on their Computers in the Kitchen this morning

Atlantic_Rising.JPG

Their set up with the ARB Screen Tent

Atlantic_Rising_Lynn.JPG

Lynn all Smiles as they pull out to Head South along the Coastline

Atlantic_Rising_Will.JPG

Look how excited Will is for some of Tony's Famous Clam Chowder - This restaurant in town has won the World Award for 2 years in a row, so they rode bikes into town to get some to take on the road with them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online