Adventures and Ramblings of a Lexus GX460 ("Land Cruiser Lite" URJ150)

SnoViking

Adventurer
they only advertise a 470.

Oh it's coming.....

17796338_10154280506020894_6962464600706504883_n.jpg

Last edited:

Flatul8r

Thank You!

Thankyou SnoViking for putting this together! As a new owner of '12 GX460 I'm putting my build ideas together and this really helps me in this process!

SnoViking

Adventurer
So I've been going round and round about the rear cargo area setup on the GX. I made a set of drawers for them, and while they worked OK I'm not quite happy with the gear logistics.

As much as I'd like to say/act like I drive out into the wilderness, find the first grand pine tree I like, pull up, park, and camp... ... ... I don't.

99% of our trips/camping are in National or State parks in developed camping areas. That's not to say the camp ground has running water or showers, but usually a fire pit, picnic table, (and pit toilet) at a minimum. This results in us cooking at the picnic table, not on the back of the truck. We still use our ground tent a few times a year when the campground sites dont have "pull-up" sites (verses the RTT). While the drawers are nice, all the cooking gear/food was still in the truck. I think I'm going to switch back to a removable tote setup. While the fridge will stay stationary in the back of the truck, the totes will allow me to transport all the cooking gear in one swift trip to and from. I used to use ActionPackers and while decent, the tapered walls always killed the packing efficiency. I use some Pelican cases on the top of the roof rack for clothes and whilst they're durable enough to drive over, they also weigh quite a bit. I picked up an off-brand aluminum box off of Amazon UK (Here's my review) which may not be as tough and durable as the Pelican boxes, but at only 6lbs empty with a 47L capacity, they're nice.

I pulled out the drawers and made a quick flat portion (3/4" plywood) as a starting point. We're traveling this weekend down to FL so I still needed the fridge hooked up and bolted down for snacks and drinks. I'm still working through the layout and I'm open to suggestions.

My "blank" slate.....

Fridge lid opens all the way up which is nice.....

Three-gallon water jug will live securely behind the fridge but still easily accessible. I'm trying to decide if I want to make a semi permanent spigot at the back hatch for this.

And a quick bolt down on my solar panel to tend to the fridge for the weekend. You can see in the first picture where I mounted my solar charge controller (just to the left of the fridge on the D pillar).

Last edited:

SnoViking

Adventurer
Pulled off a "quick" trip down to Daytona Beach to visit the wife's sister for Easter. We left Thursday around 5p and made it down to Daytona around 9a Friday morning. The only traffic we hit heading down was about 30 mins from our house. It was smooth sailing the rest of the way. We had a minor detour just south of Jacksonville due to an accident but we shot over the the A1A coastal road which is more our style anyway. It was nice to slow down and cruise at 45mph and just enjoy the ocean breeze. It was just over 1000 miles each way and the truck did awesome. Cruisin' between 70 and 80mph the whole way we averaged 20.8mpgs. I am PUMPED about that! One of our big concerns with going to the V8 was fuel consumption. This thing sips recycled dinosaurs thanks to the 6-speed transmission.

Here's a few quick pics from the weekend.

Sunrise somewhere in Georgia:

Cool bridge we passed by. Maybe SC?

We came to the conclusion this was a T-Rex cage. Definitely not used for golf.....

Cruising A1A (isn't there a Vanilla Ice song about that?):

We had a perfect blue bird day and went out and explored St. Augustine and the Castilo de San Marcos NP Fort. We definitely had a good time and collectively decided I should buy a fort (complete with canons)....

Checking out the artillery:

Kiddos chillin' by a fountain:

Kids are playing. Basking on a picnic blanket, laying under some Spanish Moss'ed trees, watching little lizards run around, thinking about Mojitos and Mint Juleps.....

Heading out. Daytona/Florida is pretty cool.... but I was missing the mountains and hardwoods.

There's those mountains I missed! (somewhere close to the NC/VA border):

It's hard to see but here's a sign for Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive. This was at about 11p/hour 12/700 miles. The park/drive is probably one of my favorite places in the world. The sign was pulling me in for a quick visit. The force was strong but I resisted and kept moving North.

Trip numbers:
Total Mileage: 2312 Miles
Travel Times: 16 Hours down. Day trips here and there. 17 hours back.
Total gallons: 111+/-
Spilled items: French Fries x1. Pringles can x1. Fruits snacks x1. Liquids x0 <--- Success!

Sorry no cool photos of the GX. I tried once to get a shot of the GX parked on the A1A overlooking the ocean but almost got hit by a trash truck. So I called it quits and got back to soaking up the vitamin D and thinking of Mojitos.

Last edited:

SnoViking

Adventurer
Leg Day!

It's amazing what a set of tires will do!

I went with a set of the General Grabber AT2s in the 265/70R18 size. I purposely went with a P metric tire for a better ride. Yes, I know a 10-ply tire is more durable but I want to preserve as much Lexus ride quality as I can.

The highway noise is a bit more than the street Michelins, but not terrible. So far, so good. Minor lift and shocks are next.

nYKsx5b.jpg

Last edited:
Patrick,

that is a beautiful truck, modded up on the lighter side just the way I hope to do mine. (I recently posted up a query re: 100 v 200 Series, but love this GX of yours.) If I may, I will utter the "B" word. How are you finding the barn door style rear door? Was that door style off putting to you when you? Has it been ok to deal with? Not a big deal?

thanks, Mawgie

SnoViking

Adventurer
Patrick,

that is a beautiful truck, modded up on the lighter side just the way I hope to do mine. (I recently posted up a query re: 100 v 200 Series, but love this GX of yours.) If I may, I will utter the "B" word. How are you finding the barn door style rear door? Was that door style off putting to you when you? Has it been ok to deal with? Not a big deal?

thanks, Mawgie

So I'm back and fourth on the barn door......

On one hand; The door is great because I can mount the RTT over the rear and not have any interference. The kids can open and close it easy enough.

On the other hand; The door is terrible.

When it's raining and you're trying to load/unload groceries; you're getting wet.
Sunny day; you're getting cooked.
Parked curb-side; walking around the door.
Deployed RTT; hitting the ladder.
Hitch mounted bicycle rack; :mad:

If the spare was mounted on the door it would be a bonus (functional and cool looking)

If they had made the door a 60/40 dual door like the 79 series it would rock. Easier acccess and less mass. One large door is awkward.

BUT..... I still love the truck. It is the only downside in my opinion when compared to a 5th gen 4Runner or 100 series. It's got more amenities, better engine/trans, better used price. A lot more car for the money. Plus all the 5th gen 4Runner suspension stuff fits.

The 200 series is in it's own league yet (and commands the resale price too)

Last edited:

krax

Adventurer
The barn door would play nicer with a 270-degree awning than the 4Runner's lift gate and spoiler.

SnoViking

Adventurer
The barn door would play nicer with a 270-degree awning than the 4Runner's lift gate and spoiler.

I agree. I just about pulled the trigger on a 270 degree awning but then I decided I wanted the roof top tent to open over the back. I went with a Sunseeker 2.5M awning and got an extra set of rack mounts. I can swap/switch it from drivers to passenger side in about 3 minutes depending on the camp layout.

SnoViking

Adventurer
Front and rear Bilstein 5100 shocks installed! The install went surprisingly easy..... :wings:

More info and pics to follow......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles