Adventure Van on a Budget - ‘98 Econoline

CLM

Brackets are out, carpet is out, swivel seat base is finished, trimmed some of the metal they left butchered when they did the windows, added some sound deadner, cleaned up the wiring mess they hid behind the wall. Also picked up insulation board and the rest of the stuff for my awning. Will be wire wheeling the floor and welding up holes tomorrow night and hopefully painting the next night. After that is the fan install, awning, insulation, carpet and then tinting windows.
231546C3-21A8-45ED-9ACB-8EF5087B2E50.jpeg
C9BD89B8-5F7E-4575-903A-371AED4CC1B4.jpeg

CLM

Absolutely! Going to wire wheel the heavy stuff off, weld up all of the holes and then coat the whole floor in POR-15. A migraine and thunderstorm delayed me yesterday, but hopefully, I can get it wire wheeled between rain tonight. Will wait until there is no rain tomorrow to weld. The entire recessed area is done out of 3/16 steel plate, so the rust isn't structural by any means.

CLM

Well, I took a couple of weeks off from the van to get my Raptor ready, then took an 18 day / 4600 mike road trip around the West, did 11 National Parks/Monuments. Saw a lot of vans that I have followed on here and had a blast. Ready to get back to the van so we can do a fall road trip with it.
13DE4F9F-C44B-4F5E-A477-B552388546A4.jpeg

CLM

Here is my review of the trip.

Walnut Canyon (outside Flagstaff) – small, but cool and would like to hike it if back in the area sometime
Flagstaff – laid back snowboarder/hippie town, not much to do, but good vibe
Sedona – it was like Santa Fe, Branson and Bryce Canyon blended into one. Drive down was pretty, wouldn’t mind spending a day there, but too many people
Grand Canyon – Ran it east to west to avoid the crowd at the main entrance. Cool, but looked fake, looked like the pictures or green screen you see of it because your eyes can’t really take in the size and pick up the color so far out.
Zion – my biggest disappointment of the trip. We didn’t hike the Narrows or Angels Landing due to crowds and time. But the park wasn’t as pretty as I expected it to be and way overcrowded. The East side past the tunnel was the prettiest. I would come back to hike the Narrows from North to South sometime, but no other reason.
Bryce – Our favorite, would love to spend 3-4 day hiking it. We did a few trails and it was beautiful
Scenic Highway 12 – Definitely worth the drive
Escalante – just drove through, will definitely be back to hike it.
Capital Reef – Hot red canyon. Was a good drive through, wouldn’t come back
Canyonlands – Would like to come back and do the 100 mile white rim drive.
Arches – Enjoyed it, some good jeep trails and ways to get away from the crowd, but way too many people.
Colorado National Monument – Definitely worth the detour to drive it if running down I-70.
Grand Junction – enjoyed it, but staying there three nights was enough to see the town and the wine country. Probably won’t stay there again.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison – Cool, would come back to camp at the bottom and do some trout fishing.
Ouray – Cool little town, will definitely be back to run more trails. We ran Yankee Boy Basin to the last switchbacks and had a blast.
Million Dollar Highway – As much as I have heard about that road, I was surprised how tame it was.
Silverton – Cool town, but probably won’t be back other than driving through.
Peak to Peak drive – nice way to avoid Denver
Rocky Mountain National Park – Enjoyed it, but would have been more impressed if we had started there. By that point we had done so many mountain passes, etc. that we were on overload and not as impressed.

It was too many parks in one trip, they lost their grandeur part way through the trip. We will make a trip out in a few years through Santa Fe, Durango, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, North Rim and then hike Bryce and Escalante.

CLM

Didn't hit Jerome, AZ??

No, this trip was planned 6 months ago as Colorado and dipping into Arches and Moab, Utah. Then about 5 weeks before the trip, my boss said that I needed to be in Vegas for UBTech and InfoComm on June 4-8. So I canceled both ends of my trip, kept the middle (but ran it backwards) and I added in the Grand Canyon on the way out. Just happened to get into Flagstaff early, so I made an evening run to Sedona. Then we added a bunch more in Utah as we went. Also had to change plans part way through the trip and cancel Durango and Mesa Verde from the route due to the fires. We were coming in from the Ouray side and the 416 Fire had that route closed, so we were going to take the other route to Mesa Verde, but once the second fire started, we decided it wasn't meant to be. It was definitely a Chevy Chase trip, but we got to see a ton of cool scenery. We had to be pretty fluid about the planning because we were both working so much trying to get ready to leave and get the truck ready. So I am sure we missed a lot along the way. Will definitely check out Jerome if we make it back down that way again.

CLM

Work has been kicking my butt lately, but squeezed in some work a couple of weekends ago and got all of the holes welded up and POR15’d the floor. Had to make two patches for rust.
9EED4DE3-1F90-482D-A4FE-E012A0453E57.jpeg

Work gave us off today, so I am sound proofing and about to lay the carpet insulation.
EE461067-E35F-4C7F-99CE-2D876E226AB1.jpeg
DE55491A-A91C-4D67-B79B-8E10971B4C5F.jpeg

Reactions: WVI

CLM

Also got side tracked buying my neighbors 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis and trying to make it not look like a grandma car. Car was garage kept, one owner, 80k miles. Had it tinted, I picked up some 2016 Mustang take off wheels/tires that still had the nipples. Cleaned her up and did some typical maintenance items. Now have a commuter to keep miles off my Raptor. She got 25 mpg running to Memphis and back.
D0770207-D215-4732-BA48-522E32A5743E.jpeg

Reactions: WVI

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Looking at some of the original pictures, it doesn’t look very high considering it has a 4” body lift. Was the suspension lowered? My body looks to be a similar height with no body lift... only an inch or so from new coils.

Some Moog 880 or 880s springs would give you a bit more height in the front for only a few $$. Although you may end up needing to change alignment bushings and redo the alignment. Their progressive design improves ride quality significantly.

CLM

Looking at some of the original pictures, it doesn’t look very high considering it has a 4” body lift. Was the suspension lowered? My body looks to be a similar height with no body lift... only an inch or so from new coils.

Some Moog 880 or 880s springs would give you a bit more height in the front for only a few $$. Although you may end up needing to change alignment bushings and redo the alignment. Their progressive design improves ride quality significantly.

No, the suspension is stock. Here is a good comparison of stock height vs the 4” body lift. She’ll get bigger tires eventually. But this is really a test bed to see what size van we want and whether we can make something about this size work for us. Since the front is completely rebuilt now, I’m not spending anymore money on that end of the project.
29B81706-D985-4491-9D79-DAFA3102D48A.jpeg

CLM

Went to the pick-n-pull yesterday. Got a headliner for the van and sway bars for the Merc.

Added the 18mm rear bar on the Merc and drove it with the stock front 26mm, made it dive in the front. Swapped the front to the police interceptor 29.5mm and she drives really freaking good now. But I also picked up a 21mm rear that I need to prep and paint and try out.

As for the van, she is carpeted in the front, new headliner (although it was the wrong year and I need to make filler panels) and seats are back in.
9900C017-EE1C-4EDD-B4D2-7E61F227A6BC.jpeg
5691DE34-D0D6-490F-AE44-3B773CC6B62A.jpeg

And the van got her name today. 50 shades of grey! Because she is going to end up 50 shades of grey between the inside and outside, plus she likes to inflict pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier