Adventure Tool Company's (ATC) 4wd Provan Tiger adventures

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
From the Rockies to OE 2017 and back. 10 states, 3500 miles, two weeks, two cats, blown AC actuator and a trailer full of ATC goodies....incredible trip with the Tiger!IMG_2156.jpgIMG_2165.jpgIMG_2166.jpgIMG_2177.jpgIMG_2182.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
After two weeks on the road you tend to get a little punchy and creative with your leftovers. So, when you have leftover BBQ ribs and want to slow re-heat them....a Chevy 5.7 V8 set to 210 degrees for two hours works great! Yummy...IMG_2212.jpgIMG_2225.jpg

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
That's awesome! I haven't done any engine cooking in awhile. My Hotdooger was one of the best mods I ever did to my snowmobile! :)

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
One of the most memorable nights of the trip. Stopped in a rest area to fix dinner on our last night when it went from a sunny evening to a classic Kansas thunder and hail storm. It darn near flooded the rest area and we got a couple of new dents in our Tiger....incredible.IMG_2223.jpgIMG_2224.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
"Da, da, da...."(sound of menacing music)....so, after traveling 3500 miles hauling a trailer full of ATC goodies to OE East and back we were on the final leg home when sh$&@ happened. We're heading up Boulder Canyon (literally 5 miles from home) when a tourist stopped in the narrows and the steepest part of the canyon, causing me to lose momentum. Once he moved I eased the gas and started to gain speed (+/- 5mph) when we see that we're pouring smoke out the rear of the truck! I get pulled over and look under the truck and it appears I've blown something in the front of the transmission and it's dumping ATF onto the exhaust. We let it cool, top the ATF up and limp it home. It looks like it either blew the front seal or the pump gasket, either way it's going to require the tranny to be pulled. Looking at my options and since the tranny has approx. 170k on it, it looks like I'll have it rebuilt with all the new upgrades and seals. It's the 4L60e if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

oldnslow

Observer
I think you should be running a 4L80e with that much weight. RV builders usually start with a too-small drivetrain to save money, and then when they are finished with their build, it is overweight. And then this sort of thing happens, long after their 1 year warranty is run out.

Notice that current Tigers are built on a 3500 chassis.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I think you should be running a 4L80e with that much weight. RV builders usually start with a too-small drivetrain to save money, and then when they are finished with their build, it is overweight. And then this sort of thing happens, long after their 1 year warranty is run out.

Notice that current Tigers are built on a 3500 chassis.

Based on the make/model/year, not sure that's an option, but I'll do some additional research. Thanks. It's been a solid rig for 22 years and 170k miles, but the numbers don't lie.

ajmaudio

Adventurer
4l80 is definitely beefier... but the first gear ratio is meh if memory serves. A properly built 60 with a good cooler can handle this rig... but an 80 is pretty bulletproof. Monster Transmission and Oregon Performance transmissions can hook you up with everything and some solid advice.

On another note.. whats the interior height in your Tiger?

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
4l80 is definitely beefier... but the first gear ratio is meh if memory serves. A properly built 60 with a good cooler can handle this rig... but an 80 is pretty bulletproof. Monster Transmission and Oregon Performance transmissions can hook you up with everything and some solid advice.

On another note.. whats the interior height in your Tiger?

Thanks. Doing some research it appears that to convert a 95 over to a 4l80e will require a new ECU, wiring, transmission cross member, torque converter, misc. pieces and parts plus a 4l80e tranny and labor. Total cost around $5K. I have a great transmission guy and will talk some more with him.

My 97 has the 4l80e with about 160k on it and it's been a great truck, so I can see the benefit, but the low gears in the 4l60e make a difference when crawling around....a real conundrum...and I'm a bit of a 90's, Chevy/GMC, "K" body nerd...

As for the inside, l'm 6'02" and can fully standup and walk around inside without bending over, so I'd say the inside is 6'04" at the bathroom and 6'05" at the galley/entry way.

I've had a number of campers and truck campers and truly have found this floor plan to be the most convenient of them all. It feels so much larger then it is. Overall the truck/camper is right at 19 feet and we drove this thing like it's a large family car. Good luck.Picture 060.jpgIMG_1192.jpgIMG_1924.jpgIMG_1711.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Today, highlight the hotel made the atmosphere in the normal operating capacity, In the kanken big backpack equatorial climate (tropical rainforest climate) as the center.
kanken laptop 17 cize 6. even if their Bijoux Pandora Soldes social status as a humble, with its gorgeous music, fjallraven backpack amazon Banks (born 1938.

?mod=post&action=reply&fid=240&tid=12670&extra=page=1&replysubmit=yes&infloat=yes&handlekey=fastpost

?aid=10

?mod=viewthread&tid=935&pid=11015&page=1&extra=#pid11015

?mod=space&uid=1306971

?mod=viewthread&tid=574730&fromuid=8386

?aid=96

?mod=space&uid=26002

?mod=viewthread&tid=274&pid=69344&page=257&extra=page=1#pid69344

?aid=7

?mod=viewthread&tid=943&pid=11010&page=1&extra=page=1#pid11010

?pid=31694#p31694

http: koishi.skr.jp bbs

?mod=space&uid=9873&do=blog&quickforward=1&id=3125

?aid=5

?aid=587

Made sense to me....

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Tiger is at the trans shop. They've pulled the codes and it's not showing any problems or overheating codes, so now it's time to pull it and look at the torque converter and seals/gaskets. Given the mileage and future intended us, we're having it rebuilt with HD parts and upgrades. Should have it back by next week with a road trip/break-in drive to Moab for a Thanksgivings dinner in the In the back country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles