Adventure Tool Company's (ATC) 4wd Provan Tiger adventures

docmaas

Adventurer
I opened up the passenger side wall on my XL looking for rot but fortunately found it to be dry and undamaged. The original wall panel is 1/8" mahogany with a vinyl pseudograin. I'd like to replace it with 1/4" prefinished maple. The original panel was covered by the window liner. I'm not sure how to get 1/4" to fit where it was 1/8". I guess I could fit it flush instead of held in by the window aluminum liner. Any other ideas?

What kinds of insulation are you planning on using?

Mike

sambot

Observer
If you take out the window from the outside, you can get to the small screws that secure the trim strip. Unscrew those, remove the trim strip, reinstall the window, install the paneling then install the trim strip.
I think that I'll use 2 layers of the http://www.reflectixinc.com/ insulation which will allow air spaces so that the radiant barrier feature will work better. That way if there are future leaks, things will dry out quickly.
-Sam

docmaas

Adventurer
If you take out the window from the outside, you can get to the small screws that secure the trim strip. Unscrew those, remove the trim strip, reinstall the window, install the paneling then install the trim strip.
I think that I'll use 2 layers of the http://www.reflectixinc.com/ insulation which will allow air spaces so that the radiant barrier feature will work better. That way if there are future leaks, things will dry out quickly.
-Sam

Got all that. My concern is that the trim strip originally covered a 1/8" thick panel and I would like to use 1/4". I guess I can just install it flush to the trim strip and pad the trim strip. Maybe it will work ok with 1/4". The trim strip only has a lip on the inside.

Like the reflectix but reading the threads on insulation over on sprinter I'm wondering about a product called lobucrod http://www.lobucrod.com/index.html and thinsulate from 3M (it's not just for hats gloves and sleeping bags) http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30422.

Mike

sambot

Observer
The trim strip was made to adjust for different wall thicknesses of different RV manufacturers. So if you can remove the trim strip, then install your thicker panel, your screws will make new holes in the window frame, but the old holes will be covered. No problem.
Those other insulation products also look great. The radiant barrier products need an air space in front of the mylar surface in order to reflect radiant heat into or out of the camper. If the interior paneling or exterior camper skin is touching the mylar, then you only get the conductive insulation benefit.
-Sam

docmaas

Adventurer
Ok, that should work. I think your wall thickness and mine are the same but the dimensions are a bit bigger on the CX than on the XL.

thanks,

Mike

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Here's what's behind the kitchen cabinet and shower pan. Pulled the fridge and water heater, hope to get some more work done this weekend. Planning on the new 12v LED interior and exterior lights. Any suggestions on any good commercial grade LED lights? The current crop of RV LED lights just seem cheap.

Thanks!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Contact Tiger and ask what they are using. Malayans now come with recessed lights. Ours, being an early prototype, came with surface mount pancake lights. As it turns out, I like them better. White plastic bezels on a white roof liner and the pancake light spreads more light sideways.

And do consider a composting toilet; will let you plug that hole, save water, and save work.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I was at an RV show a couple weekends ago and saw some amazing double LED lights, from Atlas. They are very bright and looked nice. Was about triple as bright as the old RV light fixture with LED light bulbs. I went to a local RV supplier to order them and found even more light fixtures that were very bright. I was surprised at how many are available, prices are dropping as well. Myself I would buy one of the fixtures with the built in bulbs as they seem to have more light spread then the plug in bulbs.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Contact Tiger and ask what they are using. Malayans now come with recessed lights. Ours, being an early prototype, came with surface mount pancake lights. As it turns out, I like them better. White plastic bezels on a white roof liner and the pancake light spreads more light sideways.

And do consider a composting toilet; will let you plug that hole, save water, and save work.

Thanks for the light suggestion! I don't anything about composting toilets, please tell me more. Thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste