Adventure Tool Company's (ATC) 4wd Provan Tiger adventures

sambot

Observer
Shower Pan removal

Were you able to get the shower pan out without cutting the drain lines from below? I can't see how else to do it. I'd rather not have to drop the tanks.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Were you able to get the shower pan out without cutting the drain lines from below? I can't see how else to do it. I'd rather not have to drop the tanks.

Good question. I stopped for the day at that point. I suspect the drain should unscrew somehow....I'll see this weekend.

How goes your remodeling?

sambot

Observer
No Progress

Too much ice and snow on top, around and under the truck this week. Hopefully I'll be able to replace a section of rotten wood floor under the water tank this weekend. Now that the demo is done, it is all rebuilding from here.
-Sam

suntinez

Explorer
Congrats on the Tiger!!

I'll echo what Diplostrat said about the chill at the top of the older Tigers - that fiberglass top does nothing to keep you warm, and you live where the winter is real. Even if you lose a little storage space, I'd tack in some insulation up there in the cabinets. Also, where you're removing the shower pan - that and the bottom of the closet are the weak spots in the plumbing for temperature exposure, at a minimum wrap the pipes in foam insulation. The low water drain *might* be at the stopcock in the closet but 2 of my previous tigers it was actually under the shower pan, so don't count on it. Always blow the line clean with air when you're in freezing temps. I doubt you have heated tanks, those came later. Even heated tanks don't help with that small diameter plastic plumbing.

I'm totally impressed with your gutting the interior :Wow1: Mine could definitely use some sprucing up back there. Now look what you've started! Are you pulling all the cabinets in the kitchen too?

I was at Tiger central in SC a couple years ago and had them pull the carpet and replace the subfloor and new vinyl/wood-look flooring. So nice to be able to sweep it clean now. Underneath that carpet was pretty disgusting. When I was lifting my XL, one of the astro guys suggested rhino lining or some kind of protection for the underside of the wooden floor - not a bad idea, considering how much of the elements splashes around down there.

I was out an event this weekend with big toys and toyhaulers, and no one had ever seen a Tiger before. Get ready for lots of questions, and welcome to the club :)

suntinez

Explorer

The bad news is that your Tiger is old enough to suffer from the belt line curse. The previous owner of Tiger insisted on a butt joint where the two aluminum siding sheets join. There is a bumper strip, but it leaks and this can lead to wood rot. (Modern Bengals do not have this joint.) There are reasonably easy fixes, but it is worth the effort to make sure that you do not have any rotten wood inside before you address the problem.

Where is this? The horizontal "belt line" running around the coach body exterior?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Stopped by my cabinet builder today to drop off some cabinet supplies and thought I'd share some photos of what he's done. All cabinets are made from 3/4 inch furniture grade Birch plywood and solids. Enjoy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 130

sambot

Observer
Nice cabinets

I'm finishing up rebuilding the subfloor and wheel well under the bench.
Then onto insulation and paneling the walls and ceiling.
Having the nice weather sure helps.

That Beltline leak issue a foot below the window rotted all the wood that supports the alum skin from the seam down. Lucky that these Tigers have a structural aluminum frame, and the wood can be replaced.
-Sam

Attachments

• photo-16.JPG
    photo-16.JPG
    480.2 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris

That Beltline leak issue a foot below the window rotted all the wood that supports the alum skin from the seam down. Lucky that these Tigers have a structural aluminum frame, and the wood can be replaced.
-Sam

Sam-

Great photo, thanks! That helps a great deal to understand what's under the paneling. Good luck as you move forward.

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks to all Tiger owners participating here. This is a great discussion in the fine art of camper restoration.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Where is this? The horizontal "belt line" running around the coach body exterior?

Yes, Sam beat me to it. Older Tigers had a butt joint with a trim strip cover. Newer Tigers have an actual lap joint. Some older Tigers got water infiltration and that led to damage to the wood underneath. See picture above.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Thanks to all Tiger owners participating here. This is a great discussion in the fine art of camper restoration.

I concur!

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Just ordered the new Norcold DE-0041T AC/DC refrigerator, MaxxAir fan and 75 amp Power Converter station. I'll be ordering a new AC unit that will work with my Honda 2000 generator. Hope to get the ceiling and walls out this weekend.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris

-Sam
Sam- Are you or did you pull your windows to remove the interior panels?
Thanks. Paul

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Paul,

I need to see you at OEXPO West to get a "Misc. Cr@!" label for my bag; didn't have time last year.

The good news is that, given the age of your Tiger, nothing owes you anything; which makes any kind of upgrade feasible. I have been very happy with the Cognito Motorsports goodies that I have installed.

The bad news is that your Tiger is old enough to suffer from the belt line curse. The previous owner of Tiger insisted on a butt joint where the two aluminum siding sheets join. There is a bumper strip, but it leaks and this can lead to wood rot. (Modern Bengals do not have this joint.) There are reasonably easy fixes, but it is worth the effort to make sure that you do not have any rotten wood inside before you address the problem.

Another worthwhile upgrade is to a Magnum Energy or similar inverter/charger. Besides giving better charge performance on shore power, it would allow you to run the microwave on batteries. Challenge is finding space to mount; some put it in the cab, behind the driver's seat.

Best wishes!

Thanks Diplo!

Your absolutely right. We're going to completely redo this Tiger to our needs and still be $$$$$$ under the cost of a newer model.

sambot

Observer
Sam- Are you or did you pull your windows to remove the interior panels?
Thanks. Paul

The inside brown trim strips were installed before the windows were installed. So to detach the trim strip, one needs to remove the window. I however just pulled the 1/8" paneling away from the staples, it was pretty brittle and broke away easily. When I repanel the interior, I'll need to remove the window to get to the trim screws so I can install the panel cleanly. PITA
I'd trade my rooftop AC for some of your extra bits. Don't know if a 2KW genni can push it though.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I concur!

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Just ordered the new Norcold DE-0041T AC/DC refrigerator, MaxxAir fan and 75 amp Power Converter station. I'll be ordering a new AC unit that will work with my Honda 2000 generator. Hope to get the ceiling and walls out this weekend.

All these toys showed up Monday! Now still racing to get the interior torn out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste