Adventure Tool Company's 1987 FJ60 "Rhino Ride" - Part 2 (2023)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
A few things about your truck I don't care for but hey it is not my truck! Overall, very well put together and thought out. I like a lot of mods and things you have done. I also think the black on silver with red pinstripes looks fantastic.

Cheers

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Since the Rhino Ride was built for Overlanding and camping I needed a lot of storage in the back. So, I removed the back seats, installed tiedowns and built a removable platform. The platform is made from a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 inch cabinet grade plywood. I used a large piece of cardboard as a template and cut out the plywood to fit between the rear wheel wells. I then cut 2 inch holes, evenly spaced, in and around the board (similar to a medical backboard or cargo platform) as tie downs for the webbing. I custom cut and sewed the webbing and cam buckles to lash down all my pelican cases and gear bags. The Engle Fridge is kept in place by the Engel cargo mount. I also built the steel cages for the water cans and propane tank.

The system has worked great for our trips and when I don't need it I just pull it out and hang it on the garage wall!
Heck, I've even slept inside on top of the pelican case when to tired to setup camp....combat nap!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Very nice setup. I had the same gearing and transmission with the 2F. How is your highway speed? Hills?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Very nice setup. I had the same gearing and transmission with the 2F. How is your highway speed? Hills?

Mike-

When I lived in Kansas City, Mo and generally did relatively flat highways and roads I had no problem keeping it around 60-65 in 5th gear, but any little grade would require a down shift to 4th or even 3rd. Now, I think a lot of that power lose is due to all the gear I have on the 60 (ARB, winch, rear bumper, sliders, roof rack, etc.), because back when I had none of that gear and the H42 tranny, I had plenty of power and got 16 mph! Now living in the mountains the RR really doesn't like the steep grades with the H55.

Hope that helps.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
My red headed girlfriend....with the wife's approval! Best wife ever! I bought her when my son was two and he's now 19 and college sophomore......man times fly. It runs as good as the 60.image.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
The roof rack was a DIY job built specifically for the roof top tent. It's made from 1 1/4 steel tubing. The corners were bent by a friend and I welded them into the side and end pieces. The roof mounts are newer versions of the old Confer mounts. I didn't add side rails so that the tent would fit, but I haven't really needed them. It also allows me to add the cargo carrier without interference. The awning mounts to the roof rack via small receiver hitches mounted on the roof rack. when not needed, simply pulling the pins and awning can be removed like a tow hitch.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Oops...a quick trail repair of a flattened tail pipe....:victory:image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I always like to have a fire extinguisher closely so I added a bracket under the drivers seat and mounted a small extinguisher... Haven't had to use it yet! Thank goodness!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 79

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Nice bracket did you make it?

Mep1811-

I did. It's just 1 1/2 x1/4 aluminum strap the I picked up at a aluminum scrap yard. Measured and drilled the holes for the seat mounting bolts and the fire extinguisher mount, painted it black and mounted it under the drivers seat. It's been rattling around for several years without any problems.

Thanks.

dcoy

Adventurer
Now living in the mountains the RR really doesn't like the steep grades with the H55.
That's why I did my Vortec upgrade. I did the H55 upgrade with the 2F engine but realized that I didn't get to use the 5th gear much. I was always downshifting to 4th or 3rd to maintain forward momentum.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Nice! A fire extinguisher is something that's overlooked by all too many people. I would have mounted it on the passenger side to ensure that if it did come lose, it wouldn't interfere with the pedals, but I think you'll be fine. My grandfather's '73 CJ-5 has had a pair of extinguishers mounted to the dash in the same bracket for over 30 years and they've never fallen out. They don't even rattle going down the trail.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
That's why I did my Vortec upgrade. I did the H55 upgrade with the 2F engine but realized that I didn't get to use the 5th gear much. I was always downshifting to 4th or 3rd to maintain forward momentum.

Yep....travelin at the speed of a cruzer...nothin like it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles