Adventure Sunglasses: Revant Optics

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
epRevant-1.jpg
Revant Optics is disrupting the eyewear industry once again. The first time around it was creating replacement lenses for your favorite glasses. This time they are rethinking the sunglass all together. I got to test these new shades out in Sedona, AZ a few weeks ago. I can assure you they don’t disappoint!

I’ve tried a bunch of different sunglasses from the top manufacturers over the years, and I’ve never been as impressed as I am with these new offerings from Revant. Check out all the details and get in early on the Kickstarter for some great pricing on these quality new shades.

You can read my full story about the iconic White Line Mtn Bike Trail in Sedona and my review of the new Revant Optics Sunglasses HERE.
epRevant-2.jpg
PS: This is not a paid or sponsored post. I just got early access to these products and am really stoked on the design philosophy, for performance, longevity and the environment. I have other top manufacturer sunglasses, but these just seem to be better.
epRevant-3.jpgepRevant-4.jpg

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
There are lots of terrific sunglasses out there (although the prices on the good ones seem to go up every year, but what else is new?)
I use Ray-Ban Shooters (62 mm) in the standard G15 gray-green lens color. They're not polarized, which is a plus for me: when I'm out searching for some lost assh--- excuse me, visitor - I need to be able to see a flash from a mirror or some other object that the search subject will possibly (hopefully) be waving around to attract attention.

Professional pilots generally are advised not to wear polarized glasses while flying, for the same reason: you want to see something that's sending back a visual signature in hopes of maybe avoiding it. A lot of pilots like the Russell sunglasses, also in that G15 color.

perterra

Adventurer
There are lots of terrific sunglasses out there (although the prices on the good ones seem to go up every year, but what else is new?)
I use Ray-Ban Shooters (62 mm) in the standard G15 gray-green lens color. They're not polarized, which is a plus for me: when I'm out searching for some lost assh--- excuse me, visitor - I need to be able to see a flash from a mirror or some other object that the search subject will possibly (hopefully) be waving around to attract attention.

Professional pilots generally are advised not to wear polarized glasses while flying, for the same reason: you want to see something that's sending back a visual signature in hopes of maybe avoiding it. A lot of pilots like the Russell sunglasses, also in that G15 color.

Russells or Randolphs?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

I have Serengeti Velocity Pilots. https://www.amazon.com/Serengeti-Ve...id=1526147540&sr=8-7&keywords=serengeti+pilot

sargeek

Adventurer
FYI - Pilots are advised not to wear polarized glasses because the glass used on the faced of the instruments in cockpit are polarized. You turn your head in the wrong direction and the information behind the instrument would disappear or become difficult to read. Similar to a polarizing filter on a camera.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
FYI - Pilots are advised not to wear polarized glasses because the glass used on the faced of the instruments in cockpit are polarized. You turn your head in the wrong direction and the information behind the instrument would disappear or become difficult to read. Similar to a polarizing filter on a camera.
I can't read the displays on my ham radios with polarized glasses either. Or use my Nikon.
I keep a pair of Costco polarized under the seat for use on the water or at the beach.

MEGA

I can bore everyone with technical specs, but this optician guy that can get anything he wants wears OVVO. Then I will re-lens them with polarized trivex lenses from Younger optics(about $40 invoice price). Ovvo also produces frames for VedaloHD optics, hands down the best lenses for aviation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

goodspeed

The new Revant line consists of three models, all of which will be manufactured in the U.S. and cost an estimated $155 to $175. So they are not on the budget side, but anyway, I think you can find something similar. I love the RayBan sunglasses, they are so stylish and will never go out of trend, but sometimes when I see the prices I become really sad. I have only one pair of RayBan and they cost $250. So for everyday wear, I bought myself something similar and of the same quality but cheaper: sunglasses from an Instagram-shop which are called "Night Cat" and cost me only $35.

Last edited:

Many high performance aircraft have iridium sun protection in the windscreens and the real issue is now with digital screens on glass cockpits. Old analog gauges are not the issue, it's current generation and future generation glass cockpits and windscreens. Look at your IPAD or smart phone with polarized lenses and you will see you can't see ********; modern screens have the same filtering to protect them from heat, sun, UV, etc; the filters overlap and cancel each other out which is why you are unable to see resolution. (Simple Terms.....lol)

I am an Oakley guy, although I have worn Revants and they are pretty nice; I wear the Oakley Prizm lenses to fly and pretty much everything else and they are fantastic. Being a prior government guy, Oakley was standard issue for us so I got on the wagon long ago and just stuck with it and they still provide nice discounts and replacement lenses are easy and fairly cheap.

There are plenty of great glasses out there for decent prices and Revant des make replacement lenses for Oakleys and I think a few other companies as well so there is a plus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles