-->

Adventure One Day

GoldiesGarage

Hey guys,

I want this to be my adventure/overlanding thread but... my "Overland" truck is still a work in progress and I still like to go hiking. As for now, I am forced to keep the two separate.

This video is about a hike my brother and I did in Red Rock Canyon right by Las Vegas.

I plan on making more hiking videos since I like going hiking. On the plus side, hiking videos are way more fun and cheaper to make then truck build videos.

Last edited:

ITTOG

Nice video's. I did about 12 miles in red rock canyon a couple years ago. I really liked the place. When at the top of the turtle head mountain I could see Charleston and plan to do it next time I am in the area.

GoldiesGarage

Nice video's. I did about 12 miles in red rock canyon a couple years ago. I really liked the place. When at the top of the turtle head mountain I could see Charleston and plan to do it next time I am in the area.
Thanks,
Red Rock is a super nice area. I'm planning to do Mt. Charleston Trail after I do Cathedral Rock Trail. I am using these hike to figure out the camera stuff.

GoldiesGarage

A friend of mine told me about Kenny Veach. A guy who was hiking around the caves North of Las Vegas and disappeared. I was wandering Google maps and saw a place called Twin Caves Canyon. It piqued my interest. It seemed like a good place to start. I didn't really plan to go looking for him, rather I wanted to see some caves. My buddy Shaine came along with me. This is the video I made.

During this hike I lost my red wallet. It had about 200 Dollars in it. So if you are bored and want to go on a $200~ish treasure hunt.
Find Kenny Veach, my missing wallet...

I was using Gaia to track my route. I have listed my Gaia track below.
Gaia Track https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XKSL...

GoldiesGarage

Summited Mt Charleston, very interesting hike. This is the highest I've even been. My brother felt like blazing up the mountain and didn't think of water conservation...

DieselRanger

The Vegas area is a fantastic location for weekend exploring. I lived there for ~3 years and there's a great underground adventure scene. Most of my summers I spent up in Southern Utah or over on the East Face of the Sierras on the 395 corridor. Mt Charleston isn't terribly tall, but it's a very long hike and even at 11,000+ feet in the summer it can be extremely hot as you experienced - and the virtually zero humidity means you don't sweat, you "salt", and so don't realize how much moisture you're losing. Hydration is essential, but electrolyte intake is even more important.

I once did a loop around the outside of the NTTR on old gravel roads/rail beds and some state highway in a Subaru Outback - took me all day and into the night, but it was fun. Wish now I had a true overland rig to really enjoy it.

ITTOG

Looks like two very nice hikes. Glad running out of water didn't create worse problems for you. That is a dangerous situation that happens all too often. Thanks for the video's.

GoldiesGarage

The Vegas area is a fantastic location for weekend exploring. I lived there for ~3 years and there's a great underground adventure scene. Most of my summers I spent up in Southern Utah or over on the East Face of the Sierras on the 395 corridor. Mt Charleston isn't terribly tall, but it's a very long hike and even at 11,000+ feet in the summer it can be extremely hot as you experienced - and the virtually zero humidity means you don't sweat, you "salt", and so don't realize how much moisture you're losing. Hydration is essential, but electrolyte intake is even more important.

I once did a loop around the outside of the NTTR on old gravel roads/rail beds and some state highway in a Subaru Outback - took me all day and into the night, but it was fun. Wish now I had a true overland rig to really enjoy it.
I agree, great hiking places, near a lot of neat places. I want to dabble in Southern Utah or Utah in general. In the future once I have a nice overland rig, I will and more.

Looks like two very nice hikes. Glad running out of water didn't create worse problems for you. That is a dangerous situation that happens all too often. Thanks for the video's.
Super nice scenery everywhere, Yeah, Blazing up a mountain on a long hike is not the smartest thing to do. Then on top of that, downing all the water. I think Ish learned a very important lesson about hiking.
You are welcome, Thanks for watching.