Advantages of ground tents over camping in your vehicle.

dbhost

aa2e4be2806a99df034813ddd2888c86.jpg

My setup is a 10 person Turbo Tent. I’m not sure if they are still selling them in the US, but I love this thing. It’s easy to setup by just me, has a little over 6 feet of standing room in the middle section, is well made and stands up to weather way way better than a Coleman or Ozark Trail family tent. It’s huge too, with a 10 ft by 20 ft footprint.
I remember a few years ago, my son and I were out in eastern Colorado doing some deer hunting on public land. There was one campground nearby and a handful of RVs and Coleman type family tents set up there. While we were out hunting, a really big storm blew through with 35-40 mph winds or more. The whole time I was stressing thinking we were going to return to a destroyed camp! When we finally rolled back into camp, you could see the destroyed tents and aftermath of the storm, but our turbotent was still standing and didn’t look like anything had even bothered it. It was the only tent still standing after that storm.
Anyways, if they are still available to purchase in the US, definitely something to look at! They are more expensive than an Ozark Trail or Coleman, but I am convinced I would have been through 2 or 3 cheaper tents since I’ve owned this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First things first. That is a gorgeous tent. I hate the circus clown car colors of most tents these days and that just goes with the environment so well...

Your photo is proof positive of what I am talking about using big tents. If you are off roading / overlanding via vehicle, there should be no problems whatsoever finding a sufficiently large, clear, flat space to set up camp for a big tent. I have never had problems finding enough space for my 10x20 Swiss Gear, although on the beach enough anchor points for guylines is problematic as it has MANY guy out points. LOTS of doubled up plastic bags filled with sand do the trick...

I am not going to disagree with quality making a huge difference, however, and this is where I am hurting. Due to the previously mentioned spinal issues, I REALLY don't want to be stooping to thread poles through a tent. I comensate by insuring I properly guy out my tents. Unguyed tents have VERY little structural rigidity, properly guyed out tents can typically withstand 35+ MPH winds. My Ozark Trail Dark Rest has been through so far 2 30+ MPH wind + frog strangling rain storms that would have kept me concerned about my house holding up...

Honestly, IF I could meet or exceed the design features of my Dark Rest with say a Cabelas or higher quality tent, I would be all over that... PRODUCT HINT TO CABELAS / BASS PRO SHOPS! Make an instant setup cabin tent that combine the Features and quality of your Alanak tents, with the features / ventilation / blackout of the Ozark Trail, and then take my money!

No matter the tent, always be on the lookout for Wood, water, and widowmakers...

I try not to camp during the first 2 weeks of Deer season due to imbeciles with high powered rifles, you know the type that will take a shot at ANYTHING that moves, and insane, hot, windy, wild weather. I've been nearly electrocuted in pop up storms while high up in a deer stand...

dbhost

I use a standing room tent, it works well; mine is the 4 door model. I only encountered one quality issues, (one tent peg loop/ tie down was not completely sewn).
View attachment 688639

Room to stand up straight and wave your arms if you want....
...setup is getting harder as I age... (needs 2 people or tie one leg to a tree, for the canopy).
...running the electric for the ceiling light is about the most complex part...

Enjoy!

I had considered one of those. I LOVE the vertical walls. Not sure if it is the EZ Up Camping Cube, or which one it was, but one of those has a built in AC port which makes it perfect for Texas...

My concern was with wind handling. I have lost more than a few EZ Ups in fairly low sustained winds when they come unstaked. If I ever manage to find a truly rugged pop up canopy I will likely go that way.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I think this comes back to how you plan to use your vehicle. If your trips involve going to a fixed, remote point and remaining there more than overnight, then a conventional tent has a lot to recommend it.

If your trips are more the "overlander" style, that is, moving on every day or two, and often camping in village squares, etc., then roof top tents and sleeping inside the vehicle are better.

Just depends on what you want to do. EDITED TO ADD: Pay no attention to what others do,

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I had considered one of those. I LOVE the vertical walls. Not sure if it is the EZ Up Camping Cube, or which one it was, but one of those has a built in AC port which makes it perfect for Texas...

My concern was with wind handling. I have lost more than a few EZ Ups in fairly low sustained winds when they come unstaked. If I ever manage to find a truly rugged pop up canopy I will likely go that way.
I too have had wind concerns; so far no problem. (unlike the dome tent that I chased down just before it got to the river).
I expect to use some long lag bolts (Spax) next year to help assure its ground grip (along with a battery powered impact driver; to put them in and take them out).
Normally I camp in tree shaded forest (rarely desert); several hundred (~600) pounds of gear inside help keep the stand -up tent and canopy well grounded (they are attached to each other).. If it looks stormy I deploy the corner tie downs, with sand stakes, on the canopy.

Enjoy!

smokeysevin

Observer
Have any of y'all used one of the cot style tents? I am getting ready to take a trip out to big bend in March and was thinking that something like this might be more comfortable than a sleeping pad over rocks...

iu

Sean

Reactions: WVI

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Have any of y'all used one of the cot style tents? I am getting ready to take a trip out to big bend in March and was thinking that something like this might be more comfortable than a sleeping pad over rocks...

iu

Sean

The Aussies call those swags and there are a lot of different ones on the market. They no doubt have their place, especially for solo camping and ease of setup but I wasn't a fan the few nights I slept in one. I could see the appeal if space was a premium in your vehicle, you had fairly mild/dry weather at night and you were on the move more than actually hanging out at camp.

smokeysevin

Observer
The Aussies call those swags and there are a lot of different ones on the market. They no doubt have their place, especially for solo camping and ease of setup but I wasn't a fan the few nights I slept in one. I could see the appeal if space was a premium in your vehicle, you had fairly mild/dry weather at night and you were on the move more than actually hanging out at camp.
Not to further derail the thread but what did you not like about it?

Sean

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I’ve camped all over CO and UT - and east coast as well, using a Tent Cot, and loved it!! Sets up fast, rain fly or not, and great ventilation.
However, I quit using it as my spine deteriorated- only draw back is entry/exit now.

I really like sleeping in tents…but seldom do anymore. The ease of climbing in the back, the superior weather protection (especially high winds), and the added security if I’m away from camp all point to the back of my truck and “hi-rise” shell. I do miss the roominess and stand up height of a tent. I think DiploStrat said it best.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have a bad back and hip so I am sure that my days are numbered in a tent but I'll have to reconfigure how and where I travel when I get stuck to a trailer.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have a TentCot and an OZ tent. The tent cot is great for just an overnight and the OZ tent is better for longer stays as it has stand up room. I have also spent many nights in my LR for overloading with a group as it is an easy setup but there is not much headroom, similar to living aboard a ship when in the Navy sleeping in a bunk. Then I was 20 and did not have the issues I have at 75. Comfort is becoming more important as time marches on.
I had a roof top tent for awhile but sold it. Whole other set of issues.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have always enjoyed sleeping inside of my vehicle when I actually had one that could accommodate doing so but even then it was a solo endeavor. Now that I am back in a truck I am back to other methods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles