Advantages of ground tents over camping in your vehicle.

Photobug

I have no more problem sleeping in the back of my truck or a tent than I do sleeping in my bed at home, I sleep poorly in my own bed also.

After considering a towable or popup for my truck I picked up a class C RV. It is not only way more comfortable of a bed but when I am awake when all others are still asleep, I enjoy the perfect climate controlled environment with all the amenities at hand.

I have been considering a hot tent Bell Tent or TP for places I can only get to in my truck.

Reactions: WVI

TwinStick

Explorer
One thing most don't bring up is inclement weather. I say this because most people don't take their rooftop tent on & off for each adventure. Where we live, many people go south or south west for winter. It would be very difficult to dry out a rooftop tent if it was put away wet and driven home to Buffalo NY or any cold weather state in the winter. Ground tent can easily be opened & draped over something in the house or basement.

Also, most people don't have a heated garage or one big enough to open up a rooftop tent in. Or forget about it altogether because they have to use that same vehicle to go to work the next day.

There is a great video on YouTube of a famous Youtuber who had a VERY expensive overland trailer with a VERY expensive rooftop tent, that molded up really bad because he forgot to open it up & dry it out, after it was put away wet/damp.

I have been extremely happy with every tent we have ever bought from Cabelas. We have a "hot weather" 3 person tent, for about $150. I used nikwax on the rain fly & it has withstood many a wicked rain storm & no leaks. We also had a Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8 person tent. If you want a tent that laughs at extreme weather, it's that one. Available in 4,6 & 8 person. The very first time we put ours up, a wicked storm came in off Lake Ontario. It just sat over us for 8 hrs. Thunder, lightning, sustained 50 mph winds, coming down in sheets and sideways. Not one drop came in. Next morning, trees were down & everyone wanted to know what kind of tent it was. Lol

We have lots of inclement weather conditions here, so it's a real thing. If you live in a sunny state where 95% of days are sunny with no rain, none of this would apply to you.

Flyelk1

I didn’t notice anybody mention Springbar tents. Amazing tents for car camping. Tons of room, stand up entry, and extreme weather resistance to include wind.
I have had mine up in unbelievably bad weather and they are amazing. The design of the frame is the key. Just another option.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
We enjoy our Shift-Pod tent for ground camping and many other uses away from camping such as music events and car shows for a place out of the sun/weather.

zelseman

Observer
We use an RX5 when we are on a big trip or have a lot of gear. Our backpacking tent comes along on quick or solo trips for just a weekend or overnighter. I have been intrigued by the Oztent RS1 swag, looks like the best of both worlds for solo travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior