Advantages of Front-Mounted Ice Chest

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Shorter distance from the driver door to the ice chest and quicker access to get that first beer after a hot, long and dusty drive :elkgrin:

x2...I just drove 500 or so miles offroad w/my fridge on the tongue (think hot sun, mud, rain, and lots of dust), then spent 5 days stationary in hot weather to see how it would do. It survived the drive (WABDR), but would barely last a day in the hot sun before I had to charge the battery...

...but my beer was close at hand! Plus, my battery box is on the tongue, and I don't have any fancy/easy way to run the power cable into the trailer (it's relatively well sealed)...so I tried it outside on the tongue, and honestly I'm not 100% sure I'll do it again...I might keep my stainless cooler on the tongue filled with beer and ice, and keep the fridge in the trailer, then maybe switch when I get to camp if it's not blazing hot like it was in Ellensburg.

Campndad

Essayons!!
Most of the trailers are pretty light weight and it seems to help add some of the weight to the tounge. It seems to help pulling it down the interstate with mine.

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
Most of the trailers are pretty light weight and it seems to help add some of the weight to the tounge. It seems to help pulling it down the interstate with mine.

That makes perfect sense. Since I am using a bolt-together trailer for my first "prototype" I was planning to

1. Build the trailer box
  2. Load the box with gear
  3. Move the axle position to get the right tongue weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles