Advanced RV just raised the bar!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Advanced RV in Ohio just released the video of their newest creation. They have set the bar very high with a lot of new innovations. We are proud to have been part of this project. Many more to come.

Attachments

• FDD01691-7B22-4927-93E5-09B059075C80.jpeg
    FDD01691-7B22-4927-93E5-09B059075C80.jpeg
    864.1 KB · Views: 224
  • C746CBF1-CE2D-477D-A7FF-C311DA5660C3.jpeg
    C746CBF1-CE2D-477D-A7FF-C311DA5660C3.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 225
  • A662C4D0-A008-4842-8430-2778896F2E81.jpeg
    A662C4D0-A008-4842-8430-2778896F2E81.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 217
  • B0FEE74E-47CE-4498-A62A-AA877443B5E7.jpeg
    B0FEE74E-47CE-4498-A62A-AA877443B5E7.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 66D6D4B1-9D8C-4548-B869-1BD9F72F94B7.jpeg
    66D6D4B1-9D8C-4548-B869-1BD9F72F94B7.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 237
  • EC1977C1-2EB0-49C8-9294-01681467C55D.jpeg
    EC1977C1-2EB0-49C8-9294-01681467C55D.jpeg
    418.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 98A26B84-BD38-46CA-9A1D-6F277F0B3491.jpeg
    98A26B84-BD38-46CA-9A1D-6F277F0B3491.jpeg
    617.6 KB · Views: 233

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I do have a sincere question. I am not too familiar with these new lithium systems but I have noticed more and more of them, especially in the #vanlife movement.

Can all these electronic components keep working in a sustained harsh environment? I am thinking hundred of kilometers of corrugated roads like we have encountered in the Australia outback, or even in Northern Quebec? Can they handle dust, vibration, and heat/cold cycle?

It seems to me like it would only take one of the controllers (as an example) to fail and the whole system would become inoperable. I can't imagine trying to find one of these components in the middle of Mozambique or Malawi. I mean just a regular old school 12V battery is often times 2 or 3 times the price in many countries (like in most of South America).

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I do have a sincere question. I am not too familiar with these new lithium systems but I have noticed more and more of them, especially in the #vanlife movement.

Can all these electronic components keep working in a sustained harsh environment? I am thinking hundred of kilometers of corrugated roads like we have encountered in the Australia outback, or even in Northern Quebec? Can they handle dust, vibration, and heat/cold cycle?

It seems to me like it would only take one of the controllers (as an example) to fail and the whole system would become inoperable. I can't imagine trying to find one of these components in the middle of Mozambique or Malawi. I mean just a regular old school 12V battery is often times 2 or 3 times the price in many countries (like in most of South America).

Can your engines electronics continue to work in a sustained harsh environment? You trust them without question when you drive into the backcountry, but a single failure would leave you stranded.

There is a wide variety of BMS designs. The simplest ones can be swapped in an hour, and cost less than 200$. More expensive marine grade ones use external relays etc, and have a bypass for emergency usage. In the case of my LFP battery, the BMS carries no more than 400mA, and main current control is via mechanical external relays. The BMS core logic board is protected against all foreseeable transients (except maybe lighting strike). In the event it fails, I can swap in a substitute in about 2 hours. If necessary I can also operate for a short period without BMS.

Electronics Engineers have lots of experience making durable and reliable electronics. Machine assembly has made them even more reliable. Combined with conformal coatings and conservative design margins, and they are pretty reliable.

As for reliability, the marine approach is to use two separate LFP batteries, each with its own BMS. Drop-ins like Lion Energy and BattleBorne work fine for this type of application. If for some reason they all fail somewhere remote, you can swap in a lead battery as a stopgap.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
ARVs stuff typically is $150k as a baseline, and typically goes up to $300k for the custom stuff.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
ARVs stuff typically is $150k as a baseline, and typically goes up to $300k for the custom stuff.
I have been in this industry for over 30years and have seen pretty much everything. First time I walked into their shop I was blown away. Clean, organized. The staff is incredible highly motivated and talented. Everywhere I looked, the quality and attention to detail was something I have never seen before. Not even with any of the builders in Germany. Hard to justify and understand the pricing first Especially when you think it’s just a sprinter. But then you look deeper and think holy crap that’s amazing. In any case, advanced rv is the real deal.

Jonnyo

Observer

Lithium is very robust and amazing. every camping rig in the world will move to lithium in the coming years as it s so much better and open so much more possibility.

But in this is nothing about keep it simple. This is complex pushing the threshold of innovation/integration. this kind of work need to be done to move forward but a good overland/camping rig dosnt need to follow this path of complexity. Like you, i would not want to be in a remote location trouble shooting LCD screen. the components use in this rig are not available in your local camping/hardware store. I love that they push the envelope.... i love watching. But i would not buy it if i could afford it.

eporter

Adventurer
It’s nice to see a high end “box truck” design. A flat-sides RV box has maximum interior space, easier to build within, is stronger, and just seems more practical than a lot of other RV designs.

Abitibi

Explorer
@Abitibi did you see they have implemented your rooftop tent cutout? :)
I'm on my phone now so not great for pics but the only similar thing I can see is the back wall. Is it what you are referring to? Nice rig though.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

iggi

Ian
Towards the end of the video they show a customer's van that they installed a rooftop tent in, with interior access and a ladder so the kids could get up to it. Reminded me of your first ambo. :)

I'm on my phone now so not great for pics but the only similar thing I can see is the back wall. Is it what you are referring to? Nice rig though.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Towards the end of the video they show a customer's van that they installed a rooftop tent in, with interior access and a ladder so the kids could get up to it. Reminded me of your first ambo. :)
I was thinking the same thing!

Great looking rigs for sure, beautifully appointed and sadly a little out of my price range (for now).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior