Adobe Lightroom 4

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I just installed the Lightroom 4 upgrade and played with a couple older photos that had challenging ranges of light. Originally I had to merge multiple exposures to get the result I was looking for. For these I just processed a single image with LR 4 and was able to tune down the highlights and bring out the shadows to accomplish IMO a better result. Not much experience yet but so far a I like the improved controls.

Aravaipa-Creek-Crossing-L4-RAW-XL.jpg

Toroweep-2011-L4-25-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Pathfinder

Adventurer
If that image is just a single exposure of Toroweep, I am quite impressed, as it gets really dark down in that canyon.

All of my images of that view were shot as HDRs of some sort, even if I used a GND as well. Nice shot nicely rendered.

Great spot to hang out some too.

I am still trying to get used to the new sliders, which I find are quite different in technique than LR3.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
:iagree:

I'm no great expert, but those are nifty-looking pictures, and if they're from single images, color me impressed.

Thanks for posting them.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Yep, they are both from single exposure images. :wings:

I really hope I don't lose my next 6 months of life going back and repossessing all my older images. :xxrotflma

Maybe I should just move forward and see what I can capture.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
This is the original unprocessed, over exposed raw capture that I used to generate the image above. I would say the technology is amazing.

Toroweep-2011-3-L4-RAW-XL.jpg

This in the unprocessed image of the creek crossing

Aravaipa-Creek-Crossing-XL.jpg

Last edited:

taco2go

Explorer
Very nice Brad, I'm looking forward to upgrading next week, just in time for the spring thaw :wings: .....time to fondle the 'ol shutter release again.:)

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
If that image is just a single exposure of Toroweep, I am quite impressed, as it gets really dark down in that canyon.

All of my images of that view were shot as HDRs of some sort, even if I used a GND as well. Nice shot nicely rendered.

Great spot to hang out some too.

I am still trying to get used to the new sliders, which I find are quite different in technique than LR3.

Thanks I agree that it's a sweet spot with potential. I plan to go back there in July or August to try to catch some Monsoon thunder boomers over the canyon.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
:iagree:

I'm no great expert, but those are nifty-looking pictures, and if they're from single images, color me impressed.

Thanks for posting them.

Thanks Mike. Although photos are nothing even close to your "Jensen". Now that is art. :wings:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Very nice Brad, I'm looking forward to upgrading next week, just in time for the spring thaw :wings: .....time to fondle the 'ol shutter release again.:)

Joash, Plan on being impressed. I can't think of a recent upgrade that blew me away like this one has.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Humphrey and I were talking about this Toroweap image in the time lapse thread and he mentioned the blown out clouds. I had three exposures that I captured when I first took this shot so I went back and applied similar LR4 adjustments to the darker exposure and was able to bring out the cloud detail much better. Just like when generating HDR you can't make something out of nothing so at least one of the images has to have all the highlights with no blown out areas.

The more I play with LR4, the more I am impressed with the upgrade. Now I have to quit playing with my previous captures and go out shoot something new. :sombrero:

Thanks to Humphrey for helping me see the error in my ways. :elkgrin:

Toroweap-2011-L4-25D-XL.jpg

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Catching Up

An intelligent Highlights/Shadows (as opposed to "Fill Light") control used to be one of Aperture's advantages over Lightroom. Some of the chatter on Aperture fora indicates that the version in Lightroom 4 is even better.
And Lightroom finally has soft proofing.

N.B. Remember, there is much more data at the lighter end of a digital photo, hence the old "expose to the right" rule. As long as you don't actually blow out the highlights, it is generally easier much to darken than to lighten an image. More data means less chance of pixilation, etc.

Nice photos, BTW!

Competition is good!

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
I hope it wasn't insensitively pointed out :) It looks great, the recovered cloud shows what is hidden on a raw capture that can be revealed if well handled in the digital darkroom.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I hope it wasn't insensitively pointed out :) It looks great, the recovered cloud shows what is hidden on a raw capture that can be revealed if well handled in the digital darkroom.

No worries at all. We all learn from each other and I certainly appreciate getting input that makes me think and look at things differently. Thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94