Adding windows to truck cap

jreilly2120

I'm picking up a windowless high top contractors cap with windoors and a rack tomorrow for my long bed 24v dodge. It's cheap and high top, and a great replacement for my leaky fiberglass cap, but I want to add some sliding windows to the windoors, I'm thinking of some small RV ones like you find on Amazon, only catch is they're made for 1.5inch walls. Has anyone had luck cutting windows into a metal truck cap?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hmm, can you adapt the windows from your fiberglass cap to the metal one? You can usually find someone parting out trailers/rv's in the local classifieds and pick windows up cheaply.

jreilly2120

The RV window one is a good idea, but I'm not sure it gets around the wall thickness issue, and I'm hoping to cut some small windows to the side doors, the factory never made any like that. Shopping around for cheap caps with possible windows I could pull now, but I need something small.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Geared

I want to add some sliding windows to the windoors, I'm thinking of some small RV ones like you find on Amazon, only catch is they're made for 1.5inch walls.

I did this about 25 years ago with a steel high-top Gem Top shell. I bought my windows from a local manufacturer but they were standard RV windows; about equal dimensions on the four sides but in a parallelogram shape. The shell was just the thin steel skin supported by arched steel members.

I cut the holes for the window with a jig saw (cutoff wheel would have been better but I didn't have a grinder back then). I framed the hole using 1x2 wood - the one-inch side up against the interior of the skin so the two-inch side created a rough opening for the frame. As I recall, I secured the wood frame to the steel supports and maybe some self-sealing screws through the exterior. It was a long time ago and the details are fuzzy. Once the frame was secured, it was easy to install the window and secure the window frame to the wood frame.

I eventually firred-out the inside so I could insulate and panel the interior. That brought the interior walls flush with the window frame. The windows were still working great years later when I sold the rig. Wish now I had taken pictures!

katskeller

Im looking for a cap now and thinking i may have to do the same thing. any pics from your projects would be a great help.

Jobrhayes

I'm about to pick up a windowless contractors shell and would to follow up and bump this thread to see if anyone has answers. That would be amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier