Adding Tie Down Points

gtbensley

Explorer
I recently picked up a 1987 Sunlite Hawk camper to try out in my Frontier. Working on coming up with a good tie down solution for securing it to my truck. I bought the front mounts from Torquelift and have them installed but do not really want to install the rear units. My thought is to install some D rings in the bed of my truck to support the rear of the camper.

The camper itself has tie down that are outboard, which works great if I wanted to tie down that way. Any ideas how to secure the back end of the camper without buying an expensive system? Can I add tie down points inboard on the camper? I honestly can not figure out how the tie downs are secured to begin with.....on the camper that is.

Last edited:
I will be installing 2 tie down points "inboard" as you described on my 1980s Skamper soon. I am going to do eye bolts through the plywood pieces that overhang the truck bed rails. I just replaced one of those plywood pieces, actually. My build thread is HERE.I'm going to reinforce the plywood with a ~5"x5" plate on top, plus fender washers on the eye bolts.

The difference is I am doing it up front, so that I can attach the camper to the truck's front d-rings instead of torklifts. For the rear I am probably going to do the Happijac CA-UR mounted to my bumper. I suppose you could add "inboard" rear points and then go to d-rings in your bed.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I think you're going to want to install a riser platform kit under the camper. You're awfully close to the cab especially when the truck is experiencing torsional twisting.(side to side)

NivekD

Roaming ROF
Here's how I did mine. I have an 88 sunlite eagle and moved all of the tiedowns in and used turnbuckles attached to the bed tiedowns. The turnbuckles in the picture have since been replaced with eyes on both ends. Been on the truck for a couple of years and it has not moved at all.

8e064531-bf9e-4c53-983c-92628ab56bea_zps2ytzsdeo.jpg

Here's the turnbuckle I used.

turnbuckle_zpsvqpcphe0.jpg

gtbensley

Explorer
That is exactly what I would like to do! On the camper side, how do they attaché? I can't find anything internal to the camper that resembles the backside of a bolt or washer plate.

NivekD

Roaming ROF
The original tie downs are internal to the structure of the walls. Eyebolt through the bottom rail of the wall with a washer and nut holding it tight. I have only removed the front left one so far just because I removed the LP compartment and resealed it. I'll get to the others at some point. The new ones I installed are just flange bolts with a washer coming down and attached to the D-ring hold downs.

d-ring_zps7htfblaa.jpg

Here you can see the left rear on the interior side.

a633701a-cacb-4fed-8b7f-78f89e742ae4_zpssfmr8r0p.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz