Adding Electric Element to Espar Hydronic D5

Hi Everyone,

Yet another Espar related question! We'd like to add an electric element to our set up so that we can use that rather than diesel in the rare instances where we have access to shore power. We purchased this block heater but it's not working with our system, I don't think it has enough power.

Has anyone done this and if so, what electric element did you use?

Appreciate any help or advice!
Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 2.50.35 PM.png

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I would suggest having a small (2 gal) aluminum tank made. Add a threaded bung for a standard home water heater element. I would suggest 2kw. Then add 2 barb fittings for the hydronic hoses. A thermostat would be needed, so either one linked to the existing control scheme, or one attach to the tank.

The D5 is 5kw.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Years ago we got a "Comfort Hot" from I think Rixens (though they seem to have evolved since then) to add to our Hurricane Hydronic furnace for our sailboat. The comfort hot is pretty simple, it is a rectangular aluminum tank with 2 1500 watt water heater elements in it (much like luthj is suggesting). It also acts as the expansion/fill and has a radiator cap on it. It needs to be the highest component in the heating system. We have a dedicated 30 amp shore power outlet for it. On the Comfort Hot I placed an aquastat, this controlled the furnace if the Comfort Hot could not keep up with demand. It worked well on a 40' sailboat in Boston to about 20 degrees F. Then the diesel furnace would occasionally kick in to compensate. I am considering building something similar for our RV build.

racer3822

Observer
Years ago we got a "Comfort Hot" from I think Rixens (though they seem to have evolved since then) to add to our Hurricane Hydronic furnace for our sailboat. The comfort hot is pretty simple, it is a rectangular aluminum tank with 2 1500 watt water heater elements in it (much like luthj is suggesting). It also acts as the expansion/fill and has a radiator cap on it. It needs to be the highest component in the heating system.

I just talked to Jim @ Rixens, nice guy. I'm looking at adding a similar system with much of what he has already assembled as a kit. His comfort hot tank he explained does not need to be the highest in the system because of where the pump is located that there would be no way for air to get back into the lines. The only way it would drain is if you had a leak somewhere allowing the water to drain. Physics of it seems sound.

Now I just have to battle spending the extra cash to get the kit or sourcing everything myself. He does make it easy and his "comfort hot" isn't anything more than a tank and heating elements but it does take alot of time to put all the stuff together.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The rixen system also has a logic control board that handles shore power heating, and multiple inputs to drive the D5 on/off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles