Adding Cruise Control to a Chev/GMC Van

45Kevin

Adventurer
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for long time and recently joined to get better access to pics and stuff.

I've been researching 4x4 vans for a while now and am ready to pull the plug on a Chev/GMC AWD van. (I'm looking and I'm patient)

Many of what I'm looking at have A/C but not cruise. How much effort is needed to add cruise?

I'll probably end up with a 2006 - 2010 van according to current prices and my budget.

On my '98 diesel Suburban I added cruise by simply installing a turn signal stalk that had a cruise control button on it. It seems that most fly-by-wire accelerator vehicles can get cruise by just adding the switch.

Are the 5.3L vans fly-by-wire?

TheEL

Observer
1st post after lurking for a long while. Was wondering what the outcome was of this. Been looking fort an AWD express and it seems terribly hard to find the right one with the combination of power windows, doors, and cruise control. Willing to sacrifice power windows if I can install cruise control in it. Kinda. ;)

drsmonkey

Observer
Following up on this. Anyone know if CC can be installed on an 08 chevy express?

I just bought a 2008 AWD and it has what I think is an aftermarket cruise control installed that worked for me on the drive home. The cruise is on it's own stalk, not integrated into the combo control like every other GM I have driven. I can take a closer look tomorrow and see if I can pull some info off it.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
I installed factory cruise control on a 2010 by adding a steering wheel with cruise control switches and then taking it to a dealer for a flash total cost was around $220. There are aftermarket kits available for slightly more. The 2007 and earlier can be done with the factory turn signal switch if they are drive by wire.

45Kevin

Adventurer
The 2008 model was the first to have the CC controls on the steering wheel.

TeleSteve, I'm surprised to hear you had to reflash the computer. I had a 1998 Suburban 6.5T with drive by wire that simply needed the turn signal stalk with the CC controls installed to get CC. Even the indicator light on the dash came with a bulb in it and worked.

Drsmonkey, I would suggest getting a steering wheel with CC controls from the junk yard and installing it on your truck. If that doesn't get you CC go get your computer reflashed.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
I bought and installed the steering wheel and it didn't work until, I had the dealer reflash it. They will need to know the part numbers for the steering wheel, clock spring, and column wire harness in order to get a flash from GM. 2007 and down can be done with just the turn signal switch as long as it is drive by wire no dealer flash needed.

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
I bought and installed the steering wheel and it didn't work until, I had the dealer reflash it. They will need to know the part numbers for the steering wheel, clock spring, and column wire harness in order to get a flash from GM. 2007 and down can be done with just the turn signal switch as long as it is drive by wire no dealer flash needed.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by drive by wire ?

Looking to add this modification and can't find a whole lot of info. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier