Adding crossbars to hard shell roof top tent

BigMF

Hello,

I searched the forum and found zero threads related to this so I'm posting the question.

Has anyone added crossbars or a rack to a hardshell RTT? There are a few tents out there now that come with the bars but they are few and far between and don't meet my criteria exactly. Ideally, I'd like to carry up to two kayaks (100'ish pounds) on top of the tent but that is about it.

Thanks!

chacomaya

I can't speak for any other RTT's, but our iKamper Skycamp's outer shell is quite thin and would likely not support any significant weight. Also, if you plan to drill into it to mount the crossbars you'd have to take measures to prevent leakage in rainy conditions, and given the stresses those points of contact would endure it seems to me to be pretty likely to fail.

JackW

Explorer
The new Terrapod clamshell tents will be available with a rack option - not sure what the weight rating is but it should hold a couple of kayaks. Contact Chad and he can give you an engineering assessment of the weight capacity.
I've got one on order - I've visited Terrapod headquarters in Gainesville, GA and known the designer/builder for several years. He is dedicated to using his experience in the aircraft industry to build the most modern, lightweight roof tent yet.
I'm a known cheapskate - if I've ordered one to replace my perfectly serviceable Maggiolina you can assume (correctly) that its something special. The shell is made from custom designed aluminum extrusions and 1" thick composite panels.
The whole tent is around 5.5" thick and weighs around 110 lbs. but will sleep oversized humans up to 6'8" tall

1606516886247.png

1606517532922.png

BigMF

The new Terrapod clamshell tents will be available with a rack option - not sure what the weight rating is but it should hold a couple of kayaks. Contact Chad and he can give you an engineering assessment of the weight capacity.
I've got one on order - I've visited Terrapod headquarters in Gainesville, GA and known the designer/builder for several years. He is dedicated to using his experience in the aircraft industry to build the most modern, lightweight roof tent yet.
I'm a known cheapskate - if I've ordered one to replace my perfectly serviceable Maggiolina you can assume (correctly) that its something special. The shell is made from custom designed aluminum extrusions and 1" thick composite panels.
The whole tent is around 5.5" thick and weighs around 110 lbs. but will sleep oversized humans up to 6'8" tall

View attachment 627645

View attachment 627646
Looks great! Any idea on when it will actually be available and the price?

JackW

Explorer
The first batch of 25 production units are being assembled now - they will start taking orders for the second batch around January. He used a Kickstarter campaign to fund the first batch.
I think the price will be competitive - around $2800 but don't quote me on that - the kickstarter contributors got a price break on the first 25. I was one of the last to jump on board and expect to get my tent by mid-January if not sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles