Adding an Over Cab sleeper to a Travel Trailer?

Throwing around some ideas for my driving camper build. I currently have a travel trailer that I really love and simply put I'd like to mount it to a truck chassis. Problem at the moment is that as it sits the camper is too long to put on a truck so I'm planning on cutting off the bedroom and building it as an over cab sleeper. I'm not worried about wiring or plumbing as there should be minimal of both in the section I'd be cutting off. Mostly curious how you guys would go about building the structure. My plan is to weld a steel beam perpendicular to the campers frame rails that I'd use as the lower cross member to attach all the vertical studs to. Then I'd build somewhat of a half wall off that lower cross member to the height that the platform would start. For the outer most beams I would cut some of the siding off the camper to tie the outer most beams into the existing studs of the camper. I'd also use Expedition Upfitter corner braces as an external support. Just curious to hear what advice some of you guys might have because although I'm well versed in DIY and automobile work, I'm not exactly experienced in this type of work.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
You’d need to know if the truck frame twists a lot. You don’t want to rigidly fix your camper to the truck and then have the trucks frame twist your camper apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke