Adding a Tilt Steering Wheel Later?

robotfist

I just bought a 2010 GMC Savana 1500 AWD cargo van. The steering wheel is non-adjustable. I'm okay with it but my wife is rather short and the wheel will probably sit in a difficult position for her. Has anyone ever changed out a fixed steering wheel for one with an adjustable tilt? Can this be done? I am going to be replacing my steering wheel anyway to install cruise control, so I was wondering if I could just replace the whole thing and gain some adjustability on the steering column.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Yes it can be done.

You will have to replace the complete steering column to get tilt. It's not just a steering wheel swap. Not the big a job to swap steering columns. Try you local Pull A Part or LKQ to get a used tilt steering column with correct fitment for your van. You can also make sure the new to you column has cruise control also. Changing the steering column will be a bolt in process doing it this way.

I can't specifically say if the electrical connections will be plug and play as your van did not have cruise control factory installed. The wiring in the steering column body plug necessary for cruise control "may" already be in the plug into which the steering column plug mates.

robotfist

Oh that is great news! I am currently looking on gmpartsone.com and there appears to be a "steering column assembly" offered with "active brake" and one "without active brake". Can anyone tell me what the "active brake" is on a steering column?

And thanks for all the help!

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Oh that is great news! I am currently looking on gmpartsone.com and there appears to be a "steering column assembly" offered with "active brake" and one "without active brake". Can anyone tell me what the "active brake" is on a steering column?

And thanks for all the help!
It is possible I did the swap on mine.. Active brake control is StabilTrac (traction control). If your van has it, it will be in your RPO codes as JL4.

robotfist

It is possible I did the swap on mine.. Active brake control is StabilTrac (traction control). If your van has it, it will be in your RPO codes as JL4.

Hmmmm. Just checked and my van does not have it. And the tilt wheel w/o active brake has been discontinued. Seems like most parts out there are for columns with StabilTrac. I guess I'll be combing the Pick-A-Parts for a bit.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Hmmmm. Just checked and my van does not have it. And the tilt wheel w/o active brake has been discontinued. Seems like most parts out there are for columns with StabilTrac. I guess I'll be combing the Pick-A-Parts for a bit.
I ordered mine used on eBay.

robotfist

I ordered mine used on eBay.
Yeah, couldn't find one there either. I wonder if the column with the active brake still works fine with older models and that's why GM only manufactures that version now? On some of these parts websites, when I enter in my make/model/year of Savana they state that the Active Brake column will fit my van.

86scotty

Cynic
I have a tilt steering column for you. Works great for different sizes of people. It comes carefully packaged in a nice gray metal box with wheels already for easy transport. All offers considered.

There are other parts in the box you might could use too. Imagine the possibilities.

robotfist

Hey 86Scotty! Where are you located? This “metal box with wheels” sounds like it might be too big to send via priority mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Len.Barron

Observer
I wouldn't worry about the stabilitrak IRT the column, my bet is the reason GM discontinued the "non-active brake" version is that they found it easier/cheaper to have a single version. All of the wiring that makes stabilitrac work is focused on an optional ABS control module, if you don't have the option for it, it just wouldn't work regardless of column configuration.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
I have not been able to determine the difference with active brake control. But it is likely something to do with measuring the steering wheel position.
Do a search on car-part.com you will find the right column used.

86scotty

Cynic
Hey 86Scotty! Where are you located? This “metal box with wheels” sounds like it might be too big to send via priority mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heh heh heh. Yeah, a little big. I'm in East Tennessee. Sorry to hijack your thread with a bit of humor but I need to sell this van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles