Adding A/C to an OM366LA in an 1120

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Sorry for all the posts but has anyone added a bracket for an A/C compressor to an OM366LA? I have been looking around the engine bay and things seem a bit tight. This is my first choice but if not possible I am open to suggestions.

Joe917

Explorer
Ours is underneath the engine. I am out of country right now so have no pictures or specifics. I would also not reduce the spring pack. You may find yourself not far off GVW when complete.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
OK, thanks Joe. I'll crawl under and take a look and see what space is available. Any chance if you know if yours was aftermarket or OEM?

Neil

Observer
Mounting the compressor is the hardest part. The first thing to establish is whatvpullybis going to drive it. When activated the compressor has a significant drag so peering it from an ancillary pulley, such as alternator or water pump , is a risk to the bearings that device . The only real post slice is the bottom pulley on the crank. The first thing to check is if you have a spare wot o this pulley, if not you can change it for one with a spare drive belt slot.
I managed to re manufacture the water pump bracket and raise the water pump up about 4 inches and this created enough space to mount the compressor under the water pump and above the fuel pump. Its tight but fits fine. I will be tilting the cab in the next few days so will take lots of pictures for you .

Neil

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hey guys, thought I would share some recent photos that Joe917 was good enough to send me. Now I think I might have a plan on how to mount the AC compressor. From what I see in the pictures it looks like MB had 2 different front engine "cradles" (the beam the front of the engine is bolted to, then that beam is bolted to the engine mounts). Below is the picture from Joe, this picture was taken looking up from underneath the truck, the oil pan is the upper left so the mount is just in front of the oil pan.

PB010018.JPG

Now this is how mine is setup.
Front engine mount.jpg

Slightly different angle with the picture but for some reason we have a cross brace that is not in Joe's picture (the red one on the right). You can see the pulley that Joe's AC is belted to right between the "cradle" and the cross brace. So it looks like to make it fit I would need to modify both of these bits. The cradle would be removed and the AC bracket bit fabricated and welded on (or maybe a complete new one). The cross brace would need a bit of massaging to get enough space for the belt to get by. I guess this is why the thought never occurred to me that this was where the factory installed it, but now makes sense. Thanks Joe.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
You might check out Bill Caid's write-up about adding one to his 1017. An OM352A engine, but maybe some useful information.
HERE
BC1.jpg
photo copyright - Bill Caid

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Thanks for the picture. I'll take a look but I do not think there is space there. On our engine there is (I think) a combined air pump/power steering pump. Plus I think that since our cab is smaller they made the engine hump a bit tighter to add space inside (this is a guess as I have not seen a 1017 in person, but this picture looks like it). If I get time tomorrow I'll tilt the cab and take a look, and post a picture. Below is a page from our owners manual about tensioning the AC belt. It shows Joe's factory setup.
AC Bracket.jpg

Last edited:

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Ok, I am back on the A/C project. I have talked with a local A/C guy who also does metal fabrication. He is recommending going with a Caterpillar bulldozer compressor as it is 24v and very well sealed. He is also recommending using a company in Texas for the rest of the components. So I am starting to get to the nitty gritty. I think the plan for the compressor is sound. Now onto the condensor. I know EAC (on this board) just had A/C installed on his 1224 and did it this way (thanks Eric). I think we can do something like this but has anyone been able to fit one on the engine radiator? Seems it would be simpler but might not fit.

This is the evaporator I think I am going to use and will mount it on the back wall between the seats.

Joe917

Explorer
Hi Jon,
I had a shop in Chile pull our engine so I could photograph the engine support for you. See attachment. Since it was out I had it welded(that crack is not stock) and had the engine re ringed and all new seals and gaskets! If you want the part number pm me and I will send you our vin.

Attachments

• IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 25

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Thanks Joe! Not everyone would pull an engine to get a picture of an engine support for someone else. I think I just bumbled around enough in the EPC (using just the truck model and not the VIN) to find the part number 6742400001. Not sure if it is available anymore but at least the online price of around $250 seems reasonable. Got a request in to check for availability. So, is your condenser mounted forward of the radiator? Will look around in the EPC a bit more.

So hopefully you are back all together and running nice and smooth and back to having fun. You know, in the boating world there is a saying that "Cruising is fixing your boat in exotic places". Sort of true and I guess overlanding will be similar.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Yes condenser in front of radiator.
Thanks again, I just sent an email to a company in the UK about the availability of the "front engine suspension". Got our fingers crossed as I think this would be easier/better than a custom mount.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
So, I keep doing a bit more thinking about this system (probably way too much) and now am considering a rooftop condenser/evaporator with the engine mount compressor. I would hire out the compressor mount fabrication and do the rooftop unit myself. Seems a way more compact system, keeps the condenser out of the muck, and is more finished looking inside. So here is the unit I am considering. Really did not want to cut a hole in the roof but this might make sense. Also the planned roof rack would hide most of the unit, so it would not change the look of the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles