Added a detachable table to my drawer system

dbrinkmann

Observer
Added this detachable table to the drawer face. Takes about 1 second to attach / detach and ridiculously sturdy. Used Richlite (what epicurean makes their fancy cutting boards out of) for the table material as it is pretty much indestructible and heat resistant to 350 degrees. What do you think?
unnamed.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
good idea. I'd lose the sharp corners.

Too, our sort of drawer box / drawer front design would readily lend itself to a hinged front panel that folds down to be a table surface. Especially if the drawer box is tall enough. Mine are only 9" T so I left that idea behind and went with a pull out instead.

I chose to do a pull out shelf / table, built in under the drawer on one side. The drawers slides on runners in each bottom corner of the drawer box, with the pull out shelf nexted between the runners. The runners are ~1/16"+ taller than the shelf.

eta
auxbatt062 current.jpg

dbrinkmann

Observer
good idea. I'd lose the sharp corners.

Too, our sort of drawer box / drawer front design would readily lend itself to a hinged front panel that folds down to be a table surface. Especially if the drawer box is tall enough. Mine are only 9" T so I left that idea behind and went with a pull out instead.

I chose to do a pull out shelf / table, built in under the drawer on one side. The drawers slides on runners in each bottom corner of the drawer box, with the pull out shelf nexted between the runners. The runners are ~1/16"+ taller than the shelf.

eta
auxbatt062 current.jpg
looks great! not sure i follow on the runner? are you using some UMHW for the drawers to slide on then sandwiching the table?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Not even that. Just some strips of plywood topped with masonite/pressboard. basically joint reinforcement for the drawer box that's doing triple duty as reinforcement, as very narrow contact surface for the drawer bottom and as spacer so the shelf slides out independent of the drawer. I'll dig up an illustrating pic from my drawer build topic

This pic shows the strips in place, sans masonite

storagebuild059.jpg

Last edited:

kwill

Observer
VERY NICE! where did you get that table top? anything underneath to support the load?

I ordered the bracket and the "table" from Amazon. It is a stainless steel restaurant shelf. If you look carefully at the end you can see the support against the wall of the trailer. It is SOLID!

kwill

Observer

dbrinkmann

Observer
i used the one from Patrick Metals, cheaper and faster delivery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OHTRE0/ref=dp_cerb_1

dbrinkmann

Observer
I ordered the bracket and the "table" from Amazon. It is a stainless steel restaurant shelf. If you look carefully at the end you can see the support against the wall of the trailer. It is SOLID!
it was so shiny i missed the angled support :) I can imagine that is extremely solid. I built mine to take up as little depth as possible when being stored and chose to use another chunk of aluminum to push up against the wall just below the mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier