Add yet another XJ to the list. :)

cdn_xj

Observer
Greetings from Vancouver, BC. :)

After several years of slumming with the rockcrawlers and autocrossers (jk!) I've decided that bouncing off of boulders and trees non-stop is a little more than I'm willing to deal with. I figure getting old will do that to a person. :)

Anywho, I bought my '95 XJ Sport 5 years ago and over that time have slowly replaced the parts that alternately fell off or blew up. I'm now ready to kick my build-up into the ever finances-dependent middle gear.

"Why an XJ?" Some may ask. Well, I'm not new to wheeling, or Jeeps for that matter, having owned, wheeled, and mostly repaired a YJ for 11 years. So I am intimately familiar with the vehicle and its capabilities. And G-wagens were and still are too damned expensive for me to afford.

That said, I AM new to overlanding and am looking forward to learning lots. :)

Cheers to all!
Yen-Hsen

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Excellent. Welcome!

My rig is a 1992 XJ, that is lifted about 2" and has some other new bits, but is otherwise stock. I've found that these trucklets are very capable of carrying 2 people and gear with very little in the way of modifications on overland trips.

For me with a family of 5, it does pretty darned well carrying the lot of us, lightly loaded, pulling a small 4x8 cargo trailer with our camping supplies, firewood, fuel, water, etc. Pulling up around the hilly camping area's in socal, I managed about 16-17mpgs while comfortably doing 65 most of the time.

Definitely some good infomation on the ExPo, but for a great read on a few XJ's that have their share of travel under their belts, check these out...

www.XXXpedition.com

and

www.go.jeep-xj.info

BlackClassic

If Not Now When?
Welcome my fellow XJ-er! I myself am also new to overlanding but hope to also have fun with it. Do you have any pics of your 95 and what are some of your plans include? And also good luck with your build and trips.

cdn_xj

Observer
I'll see if I can find a pic or two. (I'm notorious for not taking pics. lol)

So far I'm running 31's on a cobbled together 2" lift with springs from a local spring shop, JKS discos, Kevin's Offroad adjustable track bar, Rubicon Express LCAs, 1-1/4" shackles, Advance Adapters SYE, and 4.10s in the D30 and 29-spline 8.25. I've also added hood struts, bored out throttle body, LeBaron vents, Kelley's WIP upgraded wiring, and a Custom 4x4 Fab rear bumper and tire carrier.

I just installed stainless brake lines last weekend and have almost completed collecting the parts for the next stage in the suspension: JKS ACOS, T&T U-bolt eliminators, adjustable RE LCAs and UCAs. I've got a line on 4" rear springs in Everett. Once I get them I can install everything and start saving for 33x10.50s.

Short term future plans include rear discs, 4.56s, an ARB Bullbar, winch, roof basket, auxiliary lighting, Hanson offroad rear bumper, bushwacker flat flares (if necessary), 98+ intake, patching the rust hole in the passenger side floorboard, and, of course, a snorkle :snorkel:. And yes, additional waterproofing is on the agenda. ;)

Longer term future plans involve upgrading to TnT's long arm kit, replacing the crappy OEM seats, OBA, and an RTT. I also plan on upgrading the TC with the wide chain, 2wd lo and 4:1. Or, if I can get my hands on one, swap in a 241. I'd also like to strip out the interior in order to rewire and bedline the interior.

Some of the details may change but I've pretty much got a plan for the mechanicals. As for cargo storage/management I'm thinking of installing cargo tiedown rails in the back with hardwood (oak perhaps?) between the rails and a removable or modular platform and drawer system.

the whole idea is to develop a well-rounded vehicle that is, obviously, a capable expo but can still tackle some technical crawling if necessary. AND it still needs to be functional and comfortable as a DD since i've decided to apply for collector status for my other car which negates its use as a commuter vehicle.

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
Welcome, I also am new to the overlanding world but have been poking around looking for ideas and info. I also have an XJ, mine is a 2000 sport. I have tossed around a few different build ideas and directions only to realize that no matter what, overlanding was at the core of it all, so that is the direction I have started moving towards. I am still mainly stock with a few little goodies here and there.

BlackClassic

If Not Now When?
cdn xj I'm curious as to how you plan to do extra waterproofing as this sounds like an excellant idea. You'll have to keep me updated on that. Sounds like you have a good start and a well rounded plan for your jeep which is always good.

Cityslicker

Observer
Excellent. Welcome!

My rig is a 1992 XJ, that is lifted about 2" and has some other new bits, but is otherwise stock. I've found that these trucklets are very capable of carrying 2 people and gear with very little in the way of modifications on overland trips.

For me with a family of 5, it does pretty darned well carrying the lot of us, lightly loaded, pulling a small 4x8 cargo trailer with our camping supplies, firewood, fuel, water, etc. Pulling up around the hilly camping area's in socal, I managed about 16-17mpgs while comfortably doing 65 most of the time.

Definitely some good infomation on the ExPo, but for a great read on a few XJ's that have their share of travel under their belts, check these out...

www.XXXpedition.com

and

www.go.jeep-xj.info

that Go Jeep page has so much fascinating information on it. thank you for posting it,,, that man is a genius.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94