ACTUAL capacities of Yeti v Pelican v RTIC coolers

Wilbah

Adventurer
So this may be just total overkill of analysis I don't know. But hopefully it helps someone. And note that I have no axe here for or against any of these manufacturers. I don't own any of them. I have cheapo Coleman and Igloos. Yes I am considering a high end cooler and believe the quality is probably worth the price (although not sure versus a fridge so still doing research).

(Oh and if anyone can show me how to put in paragraph breaks I would REALLY appreciate it! I did not want this post to look this way with no line/paragraph breaks! :mad: )

I also welcome comments by any mfr reps who wish to explain what is going on or if I have done the math wrong or misinterpreted something.

I had read a couple of reviews on Amazon of Yeti coolers and one of the comments stated that the capacity of the Yeti's is not as large as what they suggest. So being a #'s geek I checked the Yeti site and then compared them to Pelican. I then added RTIC given some of the recent threads on here about them. I wanted to compare them to Coleman but can't find the interior dimensions of Coleman coolers readily at their website. But suffice to say the Yeti's have significantly less capacity than what I think a normal person would believe based on the cooler “number”.

The only reason I can see to do this is that if the coolers WERE the actual advertised size/capacity the cost differentials would be even greater. A Coleman Extreme Marine 70 Quart lists for $89.99 at Coleman's site. They state it holds 98 cans. The Yeti 75 is $449.99 at their website. Yet they state the cooler holds 50 cans. In fairness to Yeti they do state that they use a 2:1 ice to beer ratio. Coleman may simply be filling the cooler with beer and no ice I don't know. But the bottom line is based on the interior dimensions the Yeti 75 has an actual capacity of 60 quarts. To get 70 “actual” quarts of capacity (based on my calculations) I have to go to the Yeti 105 which is which costs $479.99. Yeti states this one holds 59 cans of beer so there may still be some difference in the beer to ice thing for Yeti v. Coleman. But the bottom line is to get a comparable cooler (SIZE ONLY) you are now looking at an additional $390 over the Coleman.

Yes buy it once, get the quality, I get that…..but it also calls into question some of the differences between the Yeti and the other quality coolers- Pelican and RTIC. If I was comparing the Yeti 65 to the (old style) Pelican 65 the price is the same: $399.99. But the Pelican 65 has 68.8 quarts of capacity where the Yeti 65 has 44 quarts. To get approximately the same capacity in the Yeti I need to get the Yeti 105 which has actual capacity of 70.9 quarts (yes 2.11 quarts more). But the Yeti 105 is $479.99 so I would pay $80 more for the Yeti of the same size.

For all of the math below I used the dimensions from the manufacturer's website. I did notice that the Yeti coolers have a larger top than bottom so the interior dimension is provided at the "midpoint" of the cooler. Presumably the difference at the bottom and the top is equally different from the midpoint so as not to throw off the math too much. The Pelican's just provide you with the interior dimensions so I have no way of knowing if the walls are sloped and if so how much. The RTIC's appear to be similar to the Yeti's in that the walls slant but again, no idea if the midpoint they state has a measurable difference than the volume calculation. Enough of the legal disclaimer....

But this clearly shows Yeti plays some games with their capacity calcs. And while Pelican maybe kept to more accurate numbers with their initial line of coolers, the new ones are following Yeti's path albeit not to the degree Yeti has. RTIC is kind of in between. As I said earlier if Coleman or Igloo do the same thing then maybe I wouldn't notice a big difference if I switched from similar sized coolers. But this kind of stuff pi**es me off. I see no reason to lie about the size of the cooler. I would love to hear a Yeti Rep (or a Pelican Rep on the new line) explain why they are doing this. People know the high end coolers with greater insulation have a larger footprint, but why BS on the interior size? Anyway.....I hope this helps someone.

*All Dimensions are Length x Width x Height in inches

Yeti Coolers
www.yeticoolers.com

Yeti 50
Interior Dimensions: 16.625 x 10.625 x 12.125 = 2141.768 cu in
Volume: 37 quarts
Difference: -13 qts (26% LESS)

Yeti 65
Interior Dimensions: 23.375 x 10.75 x 10.125 = 2544.223 cu in
Volume: 44 quarts
Difference: -21 qts (32.3% LESS)

Yeti 75
Interior Dimensions: 26 x 11.125 x 12 = 3471 cu in
Volume: 60 quarts
Difference: -15 qts (20% LESS)

Yeti 105
Interior Dimensions: 23 x 12.5 x 14.25 = 4096.875 cu in
Volume: 71 quarts
Difference: -34 qts (32.38% LESS)

Yeti 160
Interior Dimensions: 37.375 x 12.375 x 15.5 = 7168.992 cu in
Volume: 124 quarts
Difference: -36 qts (22.5% LESS)

Pelican
www.pelicancoolers.com

“New” Elite Pelican 30
Interior Dimensions: 14.6 x 10.2 x 11 = 1638.12 cu in
Volume: 28.36 quarts
Difference: -1.64 qts (5.47% LESS)

“New” Elite Pelican 50
Interior Dimensions: 17.5 x 11 x 13.7 = 2637.25 cu in
Volume: 45.66 quarts
Difference: -4.34 qts (8.68% LESS)

“New” Elite Pelican 70
Interior Dimensions: 23.5 x 11 x 14.3 = 3696.55 cu in
Volume: 64 quarts
Difference: -6.0 qts (8.57% LESS)

“Old” Elite Pelican 65
Interior Dimensions: 26.5 x 12 x 12.5 = 3975 cu in
Volume: 68.8 quarts
Difference: +3.8 qts (5.85% MORE)

“Old” Elite Pelican 95
Interior Dimensions: 27.34 x 12 x 17.62 = 5780.77 cu in
Volume: 100 quarts
Difference: +5.0 qts (5.26% MORE)

“Old” Elite Pelican 150
Interior Dimensions: 34 x 15.75 x 17 = 9103.5 cu in
Volume: 157 quarts
Difference: +7.0 qts (4.67% MORE)

RTIC Coolers
www.rticcoolers.com

RTIC 45
Interior Dimensions: 19.375 x 10.5 x 11.875 = 2415.82 cu in
Volume: 41.8 quarts
Difference: -3.17 qts (3.17% LESS)

RTIC 65
Interior Dimensions: 24.75 x 11.75 x 13 = 3780.563 cu in
Volume: 65.46 quarts
Difference: +.46 qts (0.71% MORE)

Last edited:

fiddypal

Adventurer
IMO if you are going to spend 500$ then get a fridge. I did and could not be more happy with the decision!

screwball48

Explorer
Not fare you changed the outcome by measuring it!

Seriously, nice to see an objective post regarding a comparison of these products. Good write up.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Thanks perterra.

Ha screwball! My bad... we're s'posed to take marketing's word for it I know. Ha. My wife has a comment about stuff like that but I won't repeat it here. ;) LOL

refried

Adventurer
IMO if you are going to spend 500$ then get a fridge. I did and could not be more happy with the decision!

A fridge has to be plugged in, I've never seen an extension cord long enough for a 21 day Colorado River trip.

Wilbah

Adventurer
agree refried.....you still want it to have the capacity you need too! :ylsmoke:

FWIW I looked at Fridges wondering if the same discrepancies existed on advertised size versus actual interior volumes. They are all much much closer in sizes than the coolers, with the exception of Edgestar (see the bottom of this list). As with everything I have done here...YMMV.

ARB (US Version)- all versions have slightly more volume than advertised: (low) 50 is 50.06 qts actual to (high) 60 which is 64.57 qts actual

Engel- Engel is very close with their advertised volumes to actual but their model numbers differ from the advertised volumes so its worth double checking to be sure you know what you are getting. but they were all pretty close to what they advertised as volumes:

MT17F
Advertised volume: 16
Actual volume: 15.93

MT27F
Advertised volume: 22
Actual volume: 21.5

MT35F
Advertised volume: 34
Actual volume: 35.7

MT40F
Advertised volume: 40
Actual volume: 37.9

MT45F
Advertised volume: 43
Actual volume: 47.23

MT60F
Advertised volume: 64
Actual volume: 64.3

MT60F-C (2 compartments)
Advertised volume: 60.5
Actual volume: 54.8

MT80F
Advertised volume: 84
Actual volume: 86.6

Nat Luna does not provide the interior dimensions so I couldn't tell if they are accurate or not.

Whynter seems to overestimate the volume for all their fridges slightly (between 0.20% for FM-65G and 10.8% for the FM-951GW) but in their defense they also provide dimensions of the compressor "step" which removes internal volume of the fridge and I may have miscalculated that (for all but one model they only provide the width and height of the compressor "step"- so my math could be off with them).

Edgestar only provides the interior dimensions on one model (FP430)...HOWEVER...that one is WAY off from advertised if the dimensions are accurate. They claim the fridge is a 43 quart fridge and that is has 43 quart capacity. But the internal dimensions (11" x 11.4375" x 12.5") is only 27.23 quarts. This is 15.76 quarts less than claimed. Unless they have a typo on their website this is a really lousy "advertised v. real" comparison.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
Edgestar only provides the interior dimensions on one model (FP430)...HOWEVER...that one is WAY off from advertised if the dimensions are accurate. They claim the fridge is a 43 quart fridge and that is has 43 quart capacity. But the internal dimensions (11" x 11.4375" x 12.5") is only 27.23 quarts. This is 15.76 quarts less than claimed. Unless they have a typo on their website this is a really lousy "advertised v. real" comparison.

Definitely must be a typo. I have an Edgestar FP430.
It's interior dimensions measure: 11.375" x 15.9375" x 18.375"... Subtracting 7.375" x 8.0" x 11.375" for the compressor compartment shelf and it comes to 46.06 quarts. So it's 43-quart claimed capacity is actually underrated by about 7.1%.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Definitely must be a typo. I have an Edgestar FP430.
It's interior dimensions measure: 11.375" x 15.9375" x 18.375"... Subtracting 7.375" x 8.0" x 11.375" for the compressor compartment shelf and it comes to 46.06 quarts. So it's 43-quart claimed capacity is actually underrated by about 7.1%.

Thanks 4x4junkie...here's where I got it but I really appreciate you correcting it! I was trying to be accurate in my assessment. As I said in the OP I have none of these and have no axe to grind on any either.

http://www.edgestar.com/FP430-Compact-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP430,default,pd.html

texascrane

Adventurer
A fridge has to be plugged in, I've never seen an extension cord long enough for a 21 day Colorado River trip.

Fair point, but this is a website primarily focused on vehicle-based travel. By the time you're spending $400+ on a cooler, especially if you're doing a lot of traveling, you may find that it's much cheaper over the long run and possibly more practical to buy a fridge than to keep feeding a cooler ice every few days.

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
I think the fridge v. Cooler discussion is a recognition that some folks like chocolate ice cream and some like strawberry. "Overlanding" can be done with a Landy that looks like its on the Camel Trophy run and some can be done throwing sleeping bags and a cooler in the back of a dd pickup. I like that both allow folks to get out and see the world. And one does not negate the ability of the other to serve the purpose. For some that will be using a fridge, for some a cooler suffices. I like exploring all the options. Just my $0.02.

toymaster

Explorer
I think the fridge v. Cooler discussion is a recognition that some folks like chocolate ice cream and some like strawberry.....

Not really, those that use fridges get to eat frozen ice cream. :D Just a little humor there.

Each is a tool in the toolbox. I have a nat luna, rtic, and several coleman each is used for a different purpose or situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior