Action Packer rack helps with short bed storage

Ed Bravo

Adventurer
Side view Packers in place.jpg

Rack detail from side view.jpg

Action Packers in place.jpg

Having a 2006 Tacoma, short bed, often presents storage (or lack of) issues on longer trips. Since we tent camp using cots and so forth we usually wished for the ability to take a few more things for comfort and also to extend our back country roaming.

"Action Packer" storage are commonly used as they provide pretty decent weather and dust protection, and they cost under $20 each in the 8 gallon size.

My neighbor and I came up with this solution that works well for me. A couple trips to a metal fab shop for some precision bending, my neighbors skill at welding, and here is the result.

With the packers in place I have still retained some visibility out the rear window, the system currently used to secure these is simply a bungee cord but a suitable formed metal piece is in the works.

The mounting to the top of the stock bed caps allows the rack to be slid forward and back to allow access to my tool/storage box already in place.

No rattles, no vibrations, and no complaints after a couple of trips.

Ed

CYi5

Explorer
Nice setup; pretty sure there's a writeup on here detailing how to make your actionpackers dust/water proof by adding a silicone seal, search it out!

Ed Bravo

Adventurer
ZAC - build details

ZAC, and others - I didn't photo the project as I went along, but do have additional close ups if you are interested.

Ed

Ed Bravo

Adventurer
Measurements

Aznwolf - I am converting some images into a Word document and adding dimensions. I can email that to you later today when I am finished.

Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles