ACELA 6X6 WITH SLRV EXPEDITION BOX NEW BUILD

I'm curious about how large the gap between cab and habitat is and what you are planning to use to span it? It seems larger than other builds I have seen (pictures only mind you) on other M107X chassis.

poohbearusvi

Any update? That truck is terrific
Yes, the Acela truck chassis looks quite awesome. Unfortunately, they've become so busy with a large mining company order that they are booked up for the next 18 months! So, you can't get one for a while. As for progress, well, it can't be fast enough for me. Here are a few pictures from last week. You can see the massive front bumper. Hydraulic winch (20,000 lbs front and back) will be installed over the Christmas week. They've started on the rear lift. Windows are in on the driver side only right now. I've asked them to install a 360 degree infrared camera system on the rig. It'll be nice to keep an eye on things. We finally made a choice on the generator, a WhisperPower W-GV 4 Scalino mobile diesel generator with 4.4 kVA. It was the only size we could squeeze in on the rails as the extra tire on the 6x6 ate up the space. It is billed as the quietest generator in the world. Noise level: 54 dB at 7 meters and 65 dB at 1 meter. Fuel consumption: 0.8 - 1.2 liter/hour (no load - full load) which is quite good. Right now they are finishing up electrical work on the exterior chassis. On the interior, wiring on the main boards are done and they are now installing batteries, inverters etc.

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

SimonBelgium

On another note, I'm revisiting the electric motorcycle option. We are looking at adding a diesel generator to charge the electric motorcycle. It can of course also be used to charge batteries and as a backup to our solar panels and the engine generator. I've been looking at the ZERO DSR. Once SLRV look at generator options and I talk to the people at ZERO motorcycles, I'll make a final decision.

It seems they draw 1500W, which is indeed quite a bit. If you have enough solar panels, you could do most of it during the day, depending on location, but if your motorcycle would be a daily use item, going the generator route is obviously preferable.

Likely, having a dedicated circuit to charge the motorcycle, which you can switch from generator, to alternator, to solar, depending on your use of the rig (driving = alternator / just topping off = solar / need to free up solar+batteries for the rig = generator), may be something to consider. A big 4-way switch (including "off") would be all that's needed.

I wonder if Zero Motorcycles will come with an option to use solar charging (unclear if their built-in charger works directly with 12/24V from a solar charge controller), because some throw-out panels may "fix" the need to have some more wattage.

Amazing rig, can't wait to see more updates!

poohbearusvi

It seems they draw 1500W, which is indeed quite a bit. If you have enough solar panels, you could do most of it during the day, depending on location, but if your motorcycle would be a daily use item, going the generator route is obviously preferable.

Likely, having a dedicated circuit to charge the motorcycle, which you can switch from generator, to alternator, to solar, depending on your use of the rig (driving = alternator / just topping off = solar / need to free up solar+batteries for the rig = generator), may be something to consider. A big 4-way switch (including "off") would be all that's needed.

I wonder if Zero Motorcycles will come with an option to use solar charging (unclear if their built-in charger works directly with 12/24V from a solar charge controller), because some throw-out panels may "fix" the need to have some more wattage.

Amazing rig, can't wait to see more updates!
I haven't been able to get good info from Zero bikes. Will wait until the rig gets here before deciding which route to go.

trailsurfer

Explorer
I have a new Zero FX and will be using it with my EarthRoamer LTI. I will be playing with the charging and I will let you know how it goes over the next few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles