ACELA 6X6 WITH SLRV EXPEDITION BOX NEW BUILD

poohbearusvi

Gotta wait 12 months for delivery sadly. These guys are busy.
It’s a loooong time. My chassis arrived there the end of April. I don’t think mine will be done until end of November. Then I have to wait 6 weeks for shipping it back here.

poohbearusvi

I may have missed it but what is your wall-to-wall turning circle? Are you doing a rear steering axle? Trying to figure out the biggest turning circle I can live with on my rig. Rear steer is a big deal.
According to Acela's brochure, the 6x6 has a 56.4 ft turning radius. I had my wheelbase lengthened by 19" and Acela told me my turning radius would now be 58 ft. No, this chassis does not have rear turning axles. I had that on my 45 ft Newell motorhome and my old 1988 Mazda MX-6. Really nice.

GR8ADV

Explorer
According to Acela's brochure, the 6x6 has a 56.4 ft turning radius. I had my wheelbase lengthened by 19" and Acela told me my turning radius would now be 58 ft. No, this chassis does not have rear turning axles. I had that on my 45 ft Newell motorhome and my old 1988 Mazda MX-6. Really nice.
58ft Radius??

The 3900mm wheelbase Unimog U500 has a turning diameter of 55.7’
The standard Mk23 MTVR has a turning diameter of 86’.
The MTV 6x6 has a turning diameter of 61.4’. According to Wenzlau. According to Acela it’s 56.4’ “Radius” but actually diameter. Who knows what is correct? All I know is that the MTVR is way too much.

Last edited:

poohbearusvi

Let’s try and clear up the turning radius vs turning circle.

The turning radius of a vehicle is the radius of the smallest circular turn that the vehicle is capable of making. The term turning radius is a technical term that has become popular automotive jargon. In the jargon sense, it is commonly used to mean the full diameter of the smallest circle, but in technical usage the turning radius still is used to denote the radius. This difference in meaning has been in play for a long time, and does no harm except to confuse people encountering it for the first time. The less ambiguous term turning circle avoids the mistaken jargon use of the word 'radius'. As an example, Motor Trend refers to a curb-to-curb turning circle of a 2008 Cadillac CTS as 35.5 feet. But the terminology is not yet settled. The AutoChannel.com refers to turning radius of the same car as 35.5 feet. It is often used as a generalized term rather than a numerical figure.

I emailed Acela and asked for clarification. The Acela 6x6 turning radius OR turning circle is 56.4 ft. In other words, you can turn this unit in a circle with a diameter of 56.4 ft.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
It seems to be a very fast and loose 'measurement'. While most people would think the outside radius (outer tire) would be the most useful, sometimes the inside radius (inside tire) is the 'given' measurement as it sounds so much better. AND with a cabover truck, are they measuring the radius of the tire's path, or the body's path, which would probably be a greater radius.
radius.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
It seems to be a very fast and loose 'measurement'. While most people would think the outside radius (outer tire) would be the most useful, sometimes the inside radius (inside tire) is the 'given' measurement as it sounds so much better. AND with a cabover truck, are they measuring the radius of the tire's path, or the body's path, which would probably be a greater radius.
View attachment 611052

Exactly!!

I find great humor this is bringing up so much discussion! :p

poohbearusvi

Turn radius, curb to curb, diameter turn, this reminds me of the famous Abott and Costello routine:
Costello: Well then who's on first?
Abbott: Yes.
Costello: I mean the fellow's name.
Abbott: Who.
Costello: The guy on first.
Costello: The first baseman.
Costello: The guy playing...
Abbott: Who is on first!
Costello: I'm asking YOU who's on first.
Abbott: That's the man's name.
Costello: That's who's name?
Costello: Well go ahead and tell me.
Abbott: That's it.
Costello: That's who?

poohbearusvi

No photo updates right now. All the chassis boxes, wheel wells and cab bush guards were removed and sent out for black powder coating. The rig left today to go to the paint shop. I’ve chosen a grey exterior color. Here is the color on a Unimog they built. I’m pretty excited to see the transformation in two or three weeks. Completion is scheduled for mid December. Like the boats we’ve owned in the past, we’ll be naming our rig with a one liner attached to it. It’ll read NEXT CHAPTER. “We haven’t been everywhere but it’s on our list”. It’s a great line by Susan Sontag.

1D482F21-A952-4F3F-82A6-160ADB0D15E7.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles