ACELA 6X6 WITH SLRV EXPEDITION BOX NEW BUILD

38snubby

Did they give you the option to relocate the air intakes on the back of the cab the way that GXV does?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Good sized box!
Please allow me a couple questions:
-How do they compensate for the expansion of the aluminum to the Fiberglass? I can't see any clearances between the components.
-The awning box will be cladded with insulation on the inside? right?
-It's hard to see in the pictures, are there radiuses in the corners of the cut outs? Sharp 90 degree cuts will most likely create stress cracks over time.

Note: In all honesty, I'm just curious. Not critical or picking other companies products apart...

Alloy

Might consider adding another pipe to the rack over the cab to assist branches sliding over the roof of the box.

A rail fitting like this would allow it to swing out of the way

1596912603492.png

tonydca

Beautiful looking rig! I too am grateful you're taking the time to share your progress and build information. As others have said - that's a very well-thought-out rig, and as a member of the 50+ crew myself, I too find myself shamelessly yearning for more creature comforts as I get older, even if it means a bigger platform.

Curious about a very early comment you made in this thread about not being able to import a MAN chassis - is this an age-related (25-year) issue and you were looking for a newer chassis?

I have to admit that they came up on my radar as well, but in addition to older-only restrictions, I was kind of concerned about knowledgeable service locations plus spares being made out of Unobtanium over here in North America.

Especially for the MAN KAT1 variants... :p

poohbearusvi

Beautiful looking rig! I too am grateful you're taking the time to share your progress and build information. As others have said - that's a very well-thought-out rig, and as a member of the 50+ crew myself, I too find myself shamelessly yearning for more creature comforts as I get older, even if it means a bigger platform.

Curious about a very early comment you made in this thread about not being able to import a MAN chassis - is this an age-related (25-year) issue and you were looking for a newer chassis?

I have to admit that they came up on my radar as well, but in addition to older-only restrictions, I was kind of concerned about knowledgeable service locations plus spares being made out of Unobtanium over here in North America.

Especially for the MAN KAT1 variants... :p
In Australia, SLRV have the choice of every chassis. The MAN, I believe, is their most popular one. Age, parts etc was a consideration. Even though the Acela is an older chassis, the parts are easier to get and is was completely reconditioned here in the US. As I've said before, everything is a compromise. This rig won't get us where our Jeep did, but it will get us in great comfort very close. We intend to bring along our e-bikes and a small motorcycle. I'm an avid mountain biker and it's a great way to explore. I wanted to get an electric motorcycle (ZERO motorbikes) but am concerned about the ability to charge in the middle of nowhere. I've talked to SLRV about that ability and they say it would only work while driving as it would put too much drain and strain on the Lithium batteries. It would take about 5 hours to fully charge. So, I think a small gas bike like the BMW 310. I'm still looking around.

poohbearusvi

All the cabinets are now in. We've got tons of storage and a very open space. Wish I could visit the factory every day! On another note, I'm revisiting the electric motorcycle option. We are looking at adding a diesel generator to charge the electric motorcycle. It can of course also be used to charge batteries and as a backup to our solar panels and the engine generator. I've been looking at the ZERO DSR. Once SLRV look at generator options and I talk to the people at ZERO motorcycles, I'll make a final decision.

IMG_4476.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles