ACELA 6X6 WITH SLRV EXPEDITION BOX NEW BUILD

Lwing

I’m excited to see this happen so I can only imagine how excited you are. I’d like to hear more about your plans, North America and international,,

poohbearusvi

I’m excited to see this happen so I can only imagine how excited you are. I’d like to hear more about your plans, North America and international,,
They’ve just finished installing the subframe. They tweaked the black and grey tanks to give me 37 gallons each. The 7kva engine driven generator is in. They’ll send me pictures on Monday. With regards to our travel plans, Covid19 has caused the feces to impinge on the oscillating blades! Originally, we had planned to fly to Australia when it was finished and drive around there for a while before shipping back. I understand Qantas have grounded all international flights until March 2021. So, as soon as the rig is finished, it’s coming back to the US. We will revisit all our favorite places here and hopefully be able to get up to Canada and the far north. We were hoping to ship it to South Africa but everything is a wait and see. A few years back we rented a Land Rover Defender with a rooftop tent in Windhoek, Namibia and drove for 2500 miles one way though Namibia, Botswana ending in Livingstone, Zambia. Best 5 week trip ever! We’d like to continue exploring other places there like Zambia, Malawi and Tanzania. Again, our plans are fluid. We may even ship it back to Australia and do the Big Lap. All will depend on the Covid19 travel restrictions.

poohbearusvi

I would love to pick your brain on this more. I am considering Bliss Mobil with an Acela 6x6 truck chassis. My previous experience is with an EarthRoamer LTS [Ford F-550 chassis]. Curious on just how different the 6x6 is in terms of ride quality and what you give up vs. get overall compared to other US-legal options [K370, Workstar 7400, etc].
For us, overall length was very important so it was either the Acela or the K370. If length didn’t matter, I would have looked at International. In the end the Acela 6x6 ticked all the right boxes: ability to take it anywhere in the world, literary tons and tons of carrying capacity and a powerful engine. What we gave up is quiet. The Acela is louder than a K370. We asked Acela to add as much extra sound insulation as possible. They did a sound check on mine and it came out at 63dB. Unfortunately, I can’t comment on the ride quality difference. Hopefully someone on this thread will jump in and tell us how the K370 and the Acela 6x6 rides with a box on. As for your inclination towards Bliss Mobil, I’m very familiar with the company. We visited the factory. They even let us sleep in their 20’ unit. Marleen and her husband Eduard are wonderful people. The biggest drawback for us was that they don’t do customization inside. There are so many choices! And every one of them is a compromise. Our previous method of overlanding was an AEV Jeep Rubicon with an Ursa Minor rooftop A frame tent and ARB fridge. It took us anywhere we wanted to go. This will be a big change. Here's a pix of it on White Rim Trail.

IMG_7107.jpeg

Ramdough

Adventurer
For us, overall length was very important so it was either the Acela or the K370. If length didn’t matter, I would have looked at International. In the end the Acela 6x6 ticked all the right boxes: ability to take it anywhere in the world, literary tons and tons of carrying capacity and a powerful engine. What we gave up is quiet. The Acela is louder than a K370. We asked Acela to add as much extra sound insulation as possible. They did a sound check on mine and it came out at 63dB. Unfortunately, I can’t comment on the ride quality difference. Hopefully someone on this thread will jump in and tell us how the K370 and the Acela 6x6 rides with a box on. As for your inclination towards Bliss Mobil, I’m very familiar with the company. We visited the factory. They even let us sleep in their 20’ unit. Marleen and her husband Eduard are wonderful people. The biggest drawback for us was that they don’t do customization inside. There are so many choices! And every one of them is a compromise. Our previous method of overlanding was an AEV Jeep Rubicon with an Ursa Minor rooftop A frame tent and ARB fridge. It took us anywhere we wanted to go. This will be a big change. Here's a pix of it on White Rim Trail.

View attachment 599201

Can you share any progress pictures? Maybe if the subframe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poohbearusvi

How is the turning radius on the Acela vs. the K370? That seems like a big consideration but I'm sure you factored that in already. Great build - wow!
The Acela 6x6 has a turning radius of 54 feet. Not sure what it is for a 190” wheelbase K370, but I’m sure it’s a lot less. The K370 is, I believe, a chassis built with city deliveries in mind, hence a much tighter turning radius to get around. I wish the Acela had a better number but everything is a compromise.

poohbearusvi

Just got this photo of the floor being installed. You can see the cutout of the access hatch if we need to get to the Allison transmission. They’ve also cut out the access hatch to the cab. The other floor cutout is for the built in stairs. Those are the wall panels which should be going up shortly. The caterpillar slowly becomes a butterfly. And yes, we have a Caterpillar engine!

7C8FEB80-D615-49C5-AE9E-8004F8C74EB9.jpeg

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
Looking very, very nice !

Thinking of something like this on a Iveco with a lift roof

Please keep it coming

poohbearusvi

Looking very, very nice !

Thinking of something like this on a Iveco with a lift roof

Please keep it coming
When I was at the factory in Australia, I saw a really nice Iveco Daily 4x4 with a SLRV box on it. You should check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles