ACELA 6X6 WITH SLRV EXPEDITION BOX NEW BUILD

poohbearusvi

Turn radius, curb to curb, diameter turn, this reminds me of the famous Abott and Costello routine:
Costello: Well then who's on first?
Abbott: Yes.
Costello: I mean the fellow's name.
Abbott: Who.
Costello: The guy on first.
Costello: The first baseman.
Costello: The guy playing...
Abbott: Who is on first!
Costello: I'm asking YOU who's on first.
Abbott: That's the man's name.
Costello: That's who's name?
Costello: Well go ahead and tell me.
Abbott: That's it.
Costello: That's who?

poohbearusvi

No photo updates right now. All the chassis boxes, wheel wells and cab bush guards were removed and sent out for black powder coating. The rig left today to go to the paint shop. I’ve chosen a grey exterior color. Here is the color on a Unimog they built. I’m pretty excited to see the transformation in two or three weeks. Completion is scheduled for mid December. Like the boats we’ve owned in the past, we’ll be naming our rig with a one liner attached to it. It’ll read NEXT CHAPTER. “We haven’t been everywhere but it’s on our list”. It’s a great line by Susan Sontag.

1D482F21-A952-4F3F-82A6-160ADB0D15E7.jpeg

I'm curious about how large the gap between cab and habitat is and what you are planning to use to span it? It seems larger than other builds I have seen (pictures only mind you) on other M107X chassis.

poohbearusvi

Any update? That truck is terrific
Yes, the Acela truck chassis looks quite awesome. Unfortunately, they've become so busy with a large mining company order that they are booked up for the next 18 months! So, you can't get one for a while. As for progress, well, it can't be fast enough for me. Here are a few pictures from last week. You can see the massive front bumper. Hydraulic winch (20,000 lbs front and back) will be installed over the Christmas week. They've started on the rear lift. Windows are in on the driver side only right now. I've asked them to install a 360 degree infrared camera system on the rig. It'll be nice to keep an eye on things. We finally made a choice on the generator, a WhisperPower W-GV 4 Scalino mobile diesel generator with 4.4 kVA. It was the only size we could squeeze in on the rails as the extra tire on the 6x6 ate up the space. It is billed as the quietest generator in the world. Noise level: 54 dB at 7 meters and 65 dB at 1 meter. Fuel consumption: 0.8 - 1.2 liter/hour (no load - full load) which is quite good. Right now they are finishing up electrical work on the exterior chassis. On the interior, wiring on the main boards are done and they are now installing batteries, inverters etc.

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG