ACELA 6X6 WITH SLRV EXPEDITION BOX NEW BUILD

fatrider

Hi. The overall length of the box is 6800mm and the interior measurement is 6084mm. Yes, I have detailed drawings with measurements but they are proprietary and I'm not allowed to share those. I'm sure if you contacted SLRV and asked for information on the Acela 6x6 box, they'd be happy to give you a more detailed layout of the interior. Good luck in your own build. As much as I want this NOW, I've actually enjoyed the planning and build very much as well.
Thank you, thought it maybe around 6100mm. Understand about the detailed info. Enjoy your build process.

poohbearusvi

Just got this drawing from SLRV showing the Acela chassis with the box. It shows the integration of their hydraulic front winch (20,000 lbs) and bumper as well as the bush guard around the the cab and storage box on top. They managed to get 158 gallons for fuel in. I asked for space for a small diesel generator. They tell me I won’t need it with the 5kw engine run charger they are installing. However, they have left the space there if I really want to add one later. So I’ve got extra storage on the rail in the meantime. Also got a shot of the finished cabinets being laid out on the shop floor. I’m told the panels are done and windows on order from KCT in Germany. Bit by bit we get closer.

SLRV 6x6 USA 2.JPGIMG_2991.jpgSLRV 6x6 USA 2.JPGIMG_2991.jpg

wfv56

Just got this drawing from SLRV showing the Acela chassis with the box. It shows the integration of their hydraulic front winch (20,000 lbs) and bumper as well as the bush guard around the the cab and storage box on top. They managed to get 158 gallons for fuel in. I asked for space for a small diesel generator. They tell me I won’t need it with the 5kw engine run charger they are installing. However, they have left the space there if I really want to add one later. So I’ve got extra storage on the rail in the meantime. Also got a shot of the finished cabinets being laid out on the shop floor. I’m told the panels are done and windows on order from KCT in Germany. Bit by bit we get closer.

View attachment 588955View attachment 588956View attachment 588955View attachment 588956
Congrats. Those guys are on it!

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hiya
Unless you are very decided on when you will be where I think it's a bit odd for someone to tell you a genny will not be needed. Far enough from the equator in the wrong season and solar won't do much so are they suggesting you sit for an hour or two with the engine running to recharge?
Also, are solar panel sizes fixed already? If not, just consider you could shunt rooflights and or other roof furniture to better accommodate "more" :)
Also, will there be any allowance for various international mains hook up?
Lovely truck!

foxhunter

Adventurer
Hiya
Unless you are very decided on when you will be where I think it's a bit odd for someone to tell you a genny will not be needed. Far enough from the equator in the wrong season and solar won't do much so are they suggesting you sit for an hour or two with the engine running to recharge?
Also, are solar panel sizes fixed already? If not, just consider you could shunt rooflights and or other roof furniture to better accommodate "more" :)
Lovely truck!
My Cummins diesel generator won’t start if it is much below freezing and above a few thousand feet. So I am thinking the 5 kw charger is a good idea

poohbearusvi

Hiya
Lovely truck!
Hi. After living in the Caribbean for 30 years, we have a strong aversion to the cold which means we will tend to stay where it's sunny! But I understand clouds and rain. We have 1780 watts of fixed solar panels and 1080 amps of lithium batteries. If running the engine is problematic, we at least have the option of installing the genny as the space will be there as well as being pre-wired. Our unit will have both 240v and 120v charging plugs. Again, I'd rather wait to see if we really need it.

Joe917

Explorer
you won't need it unless you want to run air. In 5 years from Alaska to Ushuaia our solar was good 95% of the time, you have triple our solar and 5 times our usable amp hours with similar power draw.

Reactions: mog

poohbearusvi

you won't need it unless you want to run air. In 5 years from Alaska to Ushuaia our solar was good 95% of the time, you have triple our solar and 5 times our usable amp hours with similar power draw.
That's good to know. As you said, it's only to run AC for any length of time. I think our big windows will let plenty of air in. We have three 1200x600, one each of 1600x600, 600x600, 440x600 and 440x600.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
And I imagine you weren't at those extremities at the wrong end of the season! :)

Joe917

Explorer
And I imagine you weren't at those extremities at the wrong end of the season! :)
Normally not, but we are living in the truck at the moment in Ottawa and have been since late February(definitely the wrong season). The solar has kept up apart from about 5 total hours of generator run time. the roof needs to be kept snow free. The truck has been stationary for the majority of the winter so we had no benefit from engine charging apart from occasional short engine runs to keep starter batteries charged and engine lubed.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
My experience of solar producing pretty much nothing is a Scottish winter at around 57 degrees N, and Iceland in September at 65 degrees north. Ottawa has about the same latitude as Milan which I would consider tropical! Snow, cold and joking aside, the sun still has a lot of power there.
We have a 2KW petrol genny if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles