Access Mode Rubbing

LJN57Durango

Hello, just found this site. Can’t believe it took me so long.

‘I have a 2006 LR3 with 230,000 on the 4.4. 200,000 are mine. I’ve had the truck since 2008 and have always done what is needed to keep it in great shape...helps to have a great local master tech running an independent shop. After so many years and miles, I‘m getting ready to invest in a refresh. 90% of the miles are paved, but we do have a farm with some rough roads and I take it to Moab/CO periodically. I few thoughts/questions....

Tires...don’t want to start a new tire debate, just asking a straight yes or no...will 265/65/18 BFG KO2 rub in Access Mode? I’ve always run 265/60/18 to avoid any issues.

Suspension...i must have replaced the control arms at least 3 times over the last 14 years. Early on I had HDC issues that required a new CPU (under warranty), but since then just routine maintenance and worn out bushings. I have been losing air over night from what is more likely than not valve blocks wearing out. as part of the refresh, I’d look to replace both front and back. The compressor is original and running fine, but given the age, it and all 4 corners are probably due for replacement. with that said, I’m considering a coil conversion. I’m actually less concerned about reliability. I’m more focused in making a one time investment in the refresh and then more likely than nor never worry about it again. The cost for a refresh is definitely more to keep the air...but it just seems wrong to remove it. With a little luck...and continued care...I expect to get another 230k, so I’m not thinking short term.

beyond that, the vehicle is sorted for what I need. I have the dash cracking everyone else does and some plastic parts are starting to break. As part of this I’m going to have the interior addressed as well.

thanks for the feed back.

cheers

krick3tt

Adventurer
You really have some miles on your rig.
Not sure about KO2 tires, are they much different from Duratrac? Mine rub in access mode. 2007 LR3 147K miles, 275 65 18 Duratrac, 0n steel wheels. I cut out a bit of the plastic fender liner where it rubs. Only rubs when wheel is turned and backing out of garage, the vehicle get into road mode automatically so I really have no real complaints.
Everybody is a bit different it appears.
Made a dash cover sim to stock one from LR and used friends for pattern. No cracking yet but I keep in the garage cause the CO sun is brutal.
Had the LR4 compressor installed when the original one did not work so well. PO had 22 inch wheels on it and never used the air suspension. I have kept the air shocks, really can't see getting springs as I would lose the height changes for off road and would not be able to get into garage.
Thanks for your post or I might not have thought about what my LR was doing.

Blaise

265/65/18 Duratrac here. I have some minor things done to prevent rubbing which are well documented on the forums.

Keep the air. Don't downgrade the truck! :D There is a ~$10 kit for the valve blocks which fixed the leaking issues for me, but I also plan to do air springs at some point.

Last edited:

DVD

Adventurer
I've been running 265/65/18 BFG ATKOs for the last 7 or 8 years on my LR3. I did a little trimming of the plastic liner on mine but I can ride at access without rubbing. I might have been able to have a little on full turn or somesuch, but it's been so long and under normal circumstance of access mode (which is rare for me), I don't get any rub.
Good to hear about your high-mileage vehicle. I'm only at 195K. I've proactively replaced valve blocks and done the compressor rebuild, and plan to keep on truckin' with with air suspension.

Blaise

'only' at 195k. I love it. I'm not even at 140k! Nice to see that there's many years of life left :)

gatorgrizz27

I can confirm 265/65R18’s will not rub at all, even with an EAS failure. Here’s mine sitting on the bump stops, I lowered it with the GAP IID tool to check it. Was able to drive and turn lock to lock, the only mod was moving the ride height sensor in the front driver side wheel well. I have rear HVAC also, no issues with the lines. Spare fits underneath with the heat shield removed, fully deflated and squeezed.

9EF870ED-AD25-4869-81D9-F5329D1D7AA4.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior