AC while boondocking

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I'm not the first to do it but I haven't seen it here. Lot of YouTube videos about this setup. 5k BTU window AC with manual controls, no digital stuff, no remote. 1kw Buffalo Tools Sportsman Generator. Both can be had for ~$300 total. Works GREAT even in econo mode. Running mine at home today due to a power outage after last night's storms.

Attachments

• 20190620_160306.jpg
    20190620_160306.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:

jkam

nomadic man
Being nomadic allows me to move when the heat or cold gets too bad.
I try to avoid temps where I need A/C or heat.
However, on occasion, I do need A/C and having the 4000 Onan generator that is built into my RV
to run the built in A/C is nice.
It's one of the reasons I chose an RV over a van.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Actually got the idea from a guy, HoboTech, on YouTube who lives in a van and has a built-in 4kw Onan. He uses the 1kw Sportsman to be quieter and save fuel.

jkam

nomadic man
I can see how someone would want to do that in a van without a generator built in.
But having more things to carry around in a space that is already limited isn't something I want to do.

damarshall7

Being nomadic allows me to move when the heat or cold gets too bad.
I try to avoid temps where I need A/C or heat.
However, on occasion, I do need A/C and having the 4000 Onan generator that is built into my RV
to run the built in A/C is nice.
It's one of the reasons I chose an RV over a van.
And this is a van forum, with ideas for vans. Obviously RVs have ac, but he was trying to provide a solution to having ac while boondocking.

billiebob

I camp for the peace and solitude. Nothing disturbs that more than a generator. When boon docking and an idiot rolls in with a generator I find offensively loud music is enough to convince them to move on.

I prefer to just open all the doors/windows and park in the shade.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
While I generally abhor generators, sometimes you get caught in a brutal heat wave. say 115F with 50% humidity? There is not always shade either.

Not everyone is a free bird, many vehicle dwellers/travelers do so for work, family etc. So they cannot avoid brutal weather. If you have never experienced a 90F night at 100% humidity, don't judge.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
While I generally abhor generators, sometimes you get caught in a brutal heat wave. say 115F with 50% humidity? There is not always shade either.

Not everyone is a free bird, many vehicle dwellers/travelers do so for work, family etc. So they cannot avoid brutal weather. If you have never experienced a 90F night at 100% humidity, don't judge.
As a fat man who camps in the Midwest...waking up in a puddle of sweat is the grossest thing...

Nice to see a 1k generator will run the A.C.

Sometimes you also need to dehumidify the inside of your van to eliminate molds and smells..AC deep cold will get that done for ya...heck I run my AC on MAX with the temp set mid or warm when it's been raining just to dry out cloths n carpet..we haul 7 often with 2 dogs..lots of moisture there..

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

CaptainBuilt

I have a portable AC unit that I vent out the drivers side window. I made a template to fit in the window that has the hole for the exhaust for the AC. And I just place the unit between the two front seats.

8k btu will run on a 2k generator with no problem.

I live in NC, and don't need a AC any time of the year at night, but I travel to Louisiana for work, and 100 degree nights, I need everything I can get.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I'm in Arkansas. 90° and 90% humidity lasts about 5 months a year with another 2 months hotter and still another 2 months just as humid but cooler. AC is a MUST if I am camping in the van here between March and November. A tent is more tolerable and sleeping in the penthouse is usually great but i nearly always have someone IN the van now so AC is a winner.

The 1kw generator runs about 7 hours of (75° inside/90° outside) AC on its built-in 0.55 gallon tank. Using a larger tank is very simple to do.

The generator is quieter than the AC, even outside the van. Remember, it runs the AC in econo mode.

Last edited:

89s rule

Adventurer
I’m strongly considering a window unit in the rear door on the drivers side down low. Would be out of the way with minimal interior space usage and if I layout my rear storage correctly it shouldn’t pose any problems.

Camping anywhere in the US during the summer can quickly require a/c unless you don’t mind sweating like crazy. We camped in IL summer of 2012 and it was ridiculous. Going further north helped but hit a spot with heat and humidity and you will be miserable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94