AC in a 2004 4Runner

HongerVenture

Adventurer
I'm looking for some anecdotal input on the air conditioning in a 2004 4Runner. I live in Abu Dhabi and the summers here are obviously hot but also mercilessly humid. Toyota builds their GCC spec 4x4's with a larger radiator core and larger AC compressor/condensor. There are actually quite a few 4Runners here imported from the USA. I'm currently looking at buying a 2004 model with 107,000 miles on it.

I'm just curious what people think of their AC in these rigs? It'll be for my wife and two boys to use during the week and will likely make treks to the desert in the milder winter months. Can the AC hack it here? Will my wife be happy? Our 1997 FZJ80 has rear-AC and with both AC's on it could freeze you out of the car on the worst day here.

Lok47

Observer
I just picked up a 2003 V8 4Runner and the A/C works really well here in Arizona. We're in a desert that is usually pretty dry and it works very well here. It hit 119* F on Saturday and it cooled the vehicle just fine. It doesn't have a rear AC like your 80, but it does have two vents behind the arm rest/console into the backseat which works fairly well. Although, it's probably not ideal for 3rd row seating.

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Good to know on the vents in the rest/console. Also good to have some AZ anecdotal input. The only thing is that here it'll be 119 but also be freakin' humid, which reduces the efficiency of the AC quite a bit.

The particular 4Runner I was looking at got nabbed by someone else, but I'm still strongly considering one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles