Abu Dhabi

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
Any expo members in the UAE? We"ll be living in Abu Dhabi and would love to meet any fellow expeditioneers.

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
New job. Moving from the USA, North Carolina. We lived in Bahrain from 1992 to 2001. Looking forward to being an expat again.

Abu Buckwheat

warrior-scholar-shooter
Greetings from AD

Howdy, I am an American guy here in Abu Dhabi downtown near the Grand Mariah Mall. Been here 5 years. I am usually seen driving arund in a Silver 2005 Defender 110 with expedition rack and snorkle. Say hi if you see me or drop me a PM. Also join the AD 4x4 club for good contacts and trips. :smiley_drive:

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
I should arrive in about six weeks. Still finishing up the old job.Will send a PM when we get there.
is there anywhere to get equipment locally, maybe a rooftop tent? or should I bring more then just basic kit?

Abu Buckwheat

warrior-scholar-shooter
Welcome Dude,

Equipment for desert driving and overlanding? Here? This place is a ant hill of desert drivers every Friday. between 4x4s and ATVs the gear market is saturated for the Emiratis who LIVE the whole weekend in the desert in winter months just for fun. :wings:

We have a dedicated ARB store in Mussafah industrial area, Dubai has ICON motors (and several other 4x4 outfitters) who have all the overland gear you need. Mainly Australian and South African. They outfitted me with Frontrunner racks, Jerrycan holders, ARB Frdige, Hijack, etc and they custom build roll cages and modify cars. As for vehicles they can be had easily including Toyota 75s, Defenders and all points in between. I saw a frickin Cadillac Escalade dune bashing last weekend.

Every September there is the Hunting and Equestrian show and all the major suppliers beign their gear to the convention center. Short hops to Oman can get you major overlanding experience. I am headed to Sudan via Saudi Arabia to explore their Pyramids next year with my archeologist son.

Also AD 4x4 club does trips ever weekend and major trips to Egypt, Jordan, etc several times a year.

You sound like you are in my field of work so stay in touch.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"Sounds great. I can't wait to get there"

after 2 years in the middle east

we can't wait to leave !

Mind you Oman was not sooo bad............some interesting mountains to explore , nice beaches and some awsome empty desert to ride dirt bikes across.

But if you want scenic dunes and a quiet camp you will have to drive a way out.

Both in Oman and here the nearest dunes are just a big noisy accident zone with 18 year olds trying to out do each other on quads and daddies LC

Qatar just plain sucks

The locals can keep their sand, dust, rubble and attitude

I think the middle east was nicer and friendlier when the locals were doing this
:26_16_2:

rather than this :roost: with Petro dollars

burn_e

Adventurer
"Sounds great. I can't wait to get there"

after 2 years in the middle east

we can't wait to leave !

Mind you Oman was not sooo bad............some interesting mountains to explore , nice beaches and some awsome empty desert to ride dirt bikes across.

But if you want scenic dunes and a quiet camp you will have to drive a way out.

Both in Oman and here the nearest dunes are just a big noisy accident zone with 18 year olds trying to out do each other on quads and daddies LC

Qatar just plain sucks

The locals can keep their sand, dust, rubble and attitude

I think the middle east was nicer and friendlier when the locals were doing this
:26_16_2:

rather than this :roost: with Petro dollars

Another one with nothing but complaints about the Middle East...

If it was such a pain, what held you for 2 years (or was it even more)? The Petrol Dollars and the share you wanted from it?
If you look carefully enough you can find even in paradise something to hate (its eternal etc).

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
More, yes a tad, 2 years 4 months if you want to be exact

I have lived and traveled in many countries, my view is not from a singular excursion from my home country.

and certainly not just western countries previously I did short trips to Malaysia, Indonsesia,Tunisia, Morroco, Libya and Iran
before longer times in Oman and Qatar

I really don't want to to comment further than I have already.............

many an expat family has been thrown out of the middle east within 24 hrs
due to commenting on the local laws and customs

so I'll stop at this point and simply say

we are happy to be leaving.

Once we have left I'll be happy to comment with my real views:coffee:

Petro dollars

I've worked for the same company for over 12 years, I just go with the flow, they move me when they feel fit, and I follow, in order to provide a good living for my family, and I enjoy experiencing new countries and cultures.

My comment was due to my experiences in the desert with friendly people, who always stopped to say hi and help if required.

and something diferent in town

that is all

If you wish to be a censor please apply to the moderators !:)

burn_e

Adventurer
Hey, don't take it to serious, I agree with you on most things. Isn't it, that when you respect local laws, than you usually have a peaceful life?

Just don't spoil the party of the guy who is really excited to go abroad, give him the chance to make own experiences. The bias will come soon enough.

:beer:

Caduceus

Adventurer
Another one with nothing but complaints about the Middle East...

If it was such a pain, what held you for 2 years (or was it even more)? The Petrol Dollars and the share you wanted from it?
If you look carefully enough you can find even in paradise something to hate (its eternal etc).

If there are so many people with complaints, have you ever stopped to ask why?
-laws?
-customs?
- cost of living?
- all that sand and no beach?
- it's way too freaking hot for him?

who cares why he stayed? I'm pretty sure it's a safe guess that he wasn't on some great adventure when he realized "you know, I don't think I like it here. But let me stick around for a bit just to make sure I don't."

2 years is plenty of time to form an opinion. What's wrong with having one?

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
"Just don't spoil the party of the guy who is really excited to go abroad, give him the chance to make own experiences. The bias will come soon enough."

I lived in the Persian Gulf for 9 years between 1992 and 2001 and have traveled to over 35 different countries for work and for enjoyment. I understand the challenges and my expectations are realistic. The Arab culture and values are often at odds with western values. That's just the way it is. I will be polite and patient and see what happens, easy enough to cartch a ride on an outbound flight if it doesn't work out.

Caduceus

Adventurer
"Just don't spoil the party of the guy who is really excited to go abroad, give him the chance to make own experiences. The bias will come soon enough."

I lived in the Persian Gulf for 9 years between 1992 and 2001 and have traveled to over 35 different countries for work and for enjoyment. I understand the challenges and my expectations are realistic. The Arab culture and values are often at odds with western values. That's just the way it is. I will be polite and patient and see what happens, easy enough to cartch a ride on an outbound flight if it doesn't work out.

True. One could easily make the argument that western values and culture are at odds with Arabs (for example, middle easterners going to England for college).

Not trying to stoke an agrument, just trying to avoid people interpreting things wrong. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles