ABS & Traction Control

78Bronco

Explorer
My 1993 Mitsu Pajero has ABS braking system and open diffs. I was wondering if the multimode ABS helps with wheel spin when one tire goes air born?

I'm pretty sure that the later model units use the brakes to control wheel spin and direct power to the tire with traction.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
My 1993 Mitsu Pajero has ABS braking system and open diffs. I was wondering if the multimode ABS helps with wheel spin when one tire goes air born?

I'm pretty sure that the later model units use the brakes to control wheel spin and direct power to the tire with traction.

AFAIK the gen II's (92-'00 or was it '99 I forget.) did not have that type of traction control. IIRC what we do have is a hold setting on the transmission where it allows start in 2nd for low traction situations like snow/ice but this is not the same as using the brake to limit wheel spin.:ylsmoke:

Edit: Just checked and some of the Gen III's (2003 on) did have this feature but definitely not the gen II's.

HTH.

Last edited:

78Bronco

Explorer
Next question...

Is it possible to hot wire the ABS motor to engage the brake caliper on the spinning tire manually using a momentary switch?

Or maybe it's easier to have a selenoid inline with each brake line after the ABS so one could step on the brake pedal, hit a switch and the selenoid keeps pressure on the one wheel then hit the gas to get power to the tire with traction>>>>>>>forward.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Next question...

Is it possible to hot wire the ABS motor to engage the brake caliper on the spinning tire manually using a momentary switch?

Or maybe it's easier to have a selenoid inline with each brake line after the ABS so one could step on the brake pedal, hit a switch and the selenoid keeps pressure on the one wheel then hit the gas to get power to the tire with traction>>>>>>>forward.

Rather than mess w/ a properly working ABS system it might be better to get lockers. Not sure if your 93 Pajero has the rear locker but if not you may want to consider an ARB rear air locker at a minimum. ARB also makes a front air locker.

78Bronco

Explorer
ARB Lockers are about $3k and availability is sketchy for the 9.5" rear diff. I'm better off find an SR rear end and swapping the diffs. I was just looking for something that would help a little with traction loss. Using brake modulation on the spinning tire independent of the other 3 wheels just seems more logical from a budget stand point.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
ARB Lockers are about $3k and availability is sketchy for the 9.5" rear diff. I'm better off find an SR rear end and swapping the diffs. I was just looking for something that would help a little with traction loss. Using brake modulation on the spinning tire independent of the other 3 wheels just seems more logical from a budget stand point.

If you already have the 9.5" rear then def find a wrecked or C4C (cash for clunkers) SR for the rear. ARB is the only real option for up front though unless you want to put in a Starion/Conquest LSD but that might be treacherous in snow/ice conditions.

I should add that being in Canada you won't find them in your yards (unless they're Pajero's) but you will them in the US yards. check out car-part.com to see if anyone there will ship you a 94-96 locker (has to be from a montero w/ a 3.5L engine).

HTH

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz