Abandoned/derelict sites

pith helmet

arrite, dagnabbit! i am exercising all the restraint i can in not over-posting in my favorite forum, but y'all gone haf to put up or suffer the consequences of my posteses. my day to day takes me to too many of these places not to share. IMG_5893.JPG

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Haha, pith helmet... I also feel like I post too much here and in a few other threads, but how about Treasure Island in SF?

Large portions had been closed off due to Radiation.

Some just abandoned

What's that big tank for on the right behind the fence?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Detroit and some of the areas around it are really interesting. I spent a lot of time there working the auto shows back in the mid-late 90's I got had a cab driver take me on the scenic route to our hotel and he fed me a lot of history while we drove through abandoned neighborhoods, commerce areas, ect. One hotel we stayed in was well past its prime with sealed doorways, and dark hallways. Good stuff pith helmet.

pith helmet

Detroit and some of the areas around it are really interesting. I spent a lot of time there working the auto shows back in the mid-late 90's I got had a cab driver take me on the scenic route to our hotel and he fed me a lot of history while we drove through abandoned neighborhoods, commerce areas, ect. One hotel we stayed in was well past its prime with sealed doorways, and dark hallways. Good stuff pith helmet.

yeah, man! glad you enjoyed it, too. the detroit tour sounds excellent.

i went to nyc the first time in the early 90's on a senior year trip and our driver wanted to show us how the other half live, i suppose and drove us on a long detour through some housing projects and abandoned areas. i dont remember where we were, even what borough, but it made an impression! i couldn't imagine a driver doing something like that these days.
you could hardly tell the abandoned from the lived in...burned and broke down cars on the streets, i remember thinking, "this must be what beruit looks like."

jgaz

Adventurer
If you really want to check out Detroit abandoned sites take a look here:

I almost sure this link has been posted here before but I think it was a long time ago.

I worked in Highland Park (just north of downtown) from ‘85 to ‘93. Was back there two years ago. I couldn’t believe how much some areas had changed, for the better!!

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Juvenile Residential Facility at Fouts Springs / Stonyford. We camp and ride here often, the Summers are super hot, and the winters are super cold. It can be a brutal environment to live in. I wonder what you had to do as a kid to get sent here. It was taken over by the Forest Service a while back. It was really interesting to walk around the grounds a few years ago. It looked like they just walked away from the place and left a lot behind.

It's a quite large area with a lot of different facilities for activities.

I wonder if they actually were able to grow anything in the garden?

They offered some sort of trad schooling with Auto Shop, Welding, and Wood Shop

One of structures was pretty cool. It seemed to be the facility maintenance space and separate from all the other buildings.

Their own fueling station.

pith helmet

Juvenile Residential Facility at Fouts Springs / Stonyford. We camp and ride here often, the Summers are super hot, and the winters are super cold. It can be a brutal environment to live in. I wonder what you had to do as a kid to get sent here. It was taken over by the Forest Service a while back. It was really interesting to walk around the grounds a few years ago. It looked like they just walked away from the place and left a lot behind.

the natural beauty of the harsh environment is made even harsher by those facilities.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
The former/closed Nevada, Missouri State Mental Hospital #3.......As far as I know portions of it is still standing. After 9/11 we were part of a statewide training mission. The State Patrol created a night op (0200) in the hospital, we got the basement, morgue and covertly get to the top floor....we were all cocky and smiles at the beginning, not so much by the end......old buildings at night have souls.......still disturbing back then.....

AE4D3FC0-CABE-49AD-BF39-6D759D61994B.jpeg8BAC826A-E7BC-4C93-974D-A7273B8AFD64.jpeg74BBE88A-872F-498C-852A-36FEEDE883C3.jpegB87FECA6-F815-459D-AECA-10B9E162D31F.jpeg76AE7DF1-5340-4A97-B454-1C443B549A93.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles